I bought my first FERRARI and my wifes happy... Bonus | FerrariChat

I bought my first FERRARI and my wifes happy... Bonus

Discussion in 'Australia' started by au-yt, Jan 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Have you heard the story...
    I went into the Classic Throttle Shop North Sydney to look at some Maserati’s just out of curiosity ( really I was) with no intention of buying a car, any car, and finished buying a Ferrari, a 456M Manual to be exact.

Classic Throttle Shop - 2000 Ferrari 456 GTM

Story goes like this I have been a huge Maserati fan for years, and as some know I owned a Khamsin for 23 years. Something ( call it an insanity streak ) came over me January 2014 and I sold the car, and yes I am be chastised for that by my Maser friends and by myself for that matter, call it what you will it all happened, and very quickly setting a then a record price for a Khamsin in Australia, which the new owner must be happy about now as only 6 months latter they are now worth 50% more ….expletive … expletive.

I then set about satisfing my fun motoring needs and buy two cars to replace the Maser, and my wife is not happy, and I Quote
    “you have been in Melbourne and caught the collector bug, no more cars!” …

After the euphoria settled and work on the new toys and some driving fun I started to miss having something exotic.

I always hankered after a 12, as there is something magical about they sound and they way they go. I had come to the realization the classic exotica boat had sailed I would not be able to own the V12 exotic I wanted.

As I said I wonder into a the Classic Throttle Shop one lunch as they had two Masers and the one I wanted to see was sold….
    While standing there looking at some of the other cars I heard a very distinctive sound and a 456 pulled up at the back of the showroom. They park the car put the sales info on the screen and curiosity got the better of me.

Looked over the car read the price and went Humm I think I can manage that… a discussion with Simon can I trade two for one etc yes… send some pictures
    I am told its got a client who’s a collector looking at this afternoon and he’s got first dibs and Rory is doing a valuation on his trade in… … darn.

Not dismayed I asked if it doesn’t happen, here is my number and details ,well latter that day I get a text.

The next Monday I organize a test drive and WOW what a car, I want this... a Manual 456M … I was a tad disappointment about how long and where the test drive was , Millsons Point and Lavender Bay back streets in a Ferrari, that said I was amazed how effortless the car managed the little streets and didn't fell at all big..most unexpected

I the remembered the final big hurdle of all, I need to get the OK from my slightly less understanding wife..

That evening I start the conversation with.. I want to sell two cars and buy a ……. Ferrari.
    Waiting for the expected answer.. I get the OK… (YESSSS trying to contain my excitement) with one proviso …. Here we go I think.

You have the OK provided its cost neutral… ... confidently I say no problem ( inwardly I have my fingers crossed)

Next morning straight on the phone, I got the OK and set about putting the wheels in motion (couldn’t help that) and put a deposit on the car.

I sort of worked out this car has been sitting for 6 or 7 years, and from my experience that requires a far bit of recommissioning and this explains the cautious test drive.
    I organized to have a PPI done by the guys at Cavallino Motorsport which was fortuitous as CTS is having them do a major service done by them.

I now am one happy puppy with my fist Ferrari V12 ……only one catch. The car needs some items sorted and that means I need to be patience… a whole month. 
    I feel like a kid again waiting for Christmas day with no guarantee of the date.

I have always been a huge fan of the 456 I looked at them 20 years ago at the Sydney motor show with my wife in tow, and said if I ever replace the Khamsin I would like one of these. A quick chat to the guy on the stand and he invited us in ( what the) we had really good look at the car, and my wife agrees its very nice. I sometimes wonder about fate.

Final bit to the story so far it dawns on me a few days that I forgot the certain stamp duty …
    I mention I had forgotten this to my understand wife who promptly says. I hadn’t!

Roll on Christmas

Graeme

2. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Very nice colour combination.

Congratulations. :)

3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thank you I am pleased its Grigio Titanio which is darker than a strait silver.. I really love the red interior, the car is almost classic Ferrari colours inside out!!

4. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    Nice! Congrat and welcome. Keep us up to date with your Great write up on your experience in the future

5. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    well done Graeme, looks a lovely car, grigio over red is just beautiful. I would get the passenger airbag cover retrimmed (you can probably just buy a new cover somewhere in the USA).

If the car has been sitting for 7 years, the tyres will be dangerous. Put a set of Michy PS2's on it, they are great and will last twice as long as p-zeros.

Final thing is the exhaust. Mille Miglia rear boxes will transform your driving enjoyment. I haven't had my windows wound up since I fitted a set to the 575. You are welcome to try my surplus pair of Supersprints which were too quiet for me but might work on a 456 because you only have 2 cats where I have 4.

6. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thank you all for the for the warm welcome.
    I plan to write both the leading up to and the various things I do to the car to bring its condition up including the usual Sticky and shrunken leather dash issues.

Cheers
    Graeme

7. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Well done Graeme - it's a great looking car

CTS seems to have turned over quite a bit of their Ferrari stock in the last few weeks

Regards

David

8. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Congratulations Graeme!

The 456 Modificata I have:

Based in Melbourne
    Blu Pozzi
    Auto

I have this as an import, anyone know?
    Grigio
    Auto

Your car
    Grigio
    Manual

Argento
    Auto

There is one other argento Australian car I think, based in NSW, but I do not know the # It's Auto. Anyone?

9. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Congrats!! A word of warning, 1 month in Cavallino Motorsport speak = 6 months, so get them cracking!

10. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats, nice car. Can sense the joy in your post !

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #11 au-yt, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Guys again thanks for the welcome its a bit like a coming home party only I'm not there yet

Ian I will certainly look into you comments, it has Michelin's on it now, how I am yet to establish how old they are as they are as they have the mold tags still on them. The michelin build date is the DOT number month and year only I havnt found it yet due to time. They may be new

The exhaust Idea sounds good 456s are quiet bit still very nice to listen to.

Carl, thanks for the known build numbers supports what I am told and I would like to assist you expand on that. I have a friend in the trade that is en-devouring to get me exact numbers saying its not easy is understatement

Greg, there is a bit of pressure from CTS to get it done s I will leave that to them my brief is I want the car the week before Autoitalia at the end of March.

Graeme

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    You'll have it just in time for the NSW concorso, 22 March at Woolwich sailing club :)

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Great story and hope you get the car soon!

14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Congrats, that looked like a beautiful example of the 456 you have purchased. Happy motoring.

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Gorgeous. Great colour combination and in manual as well.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thanks guys I havent been this excited about a car for years..

Ian I assume thats an invite to the concourse and take it Ill have to join the Club?

I will say the car is not concourse but its in very good condition except the dash and sticky bits and the paint has had some average repairs in the past.

Some time after I sold the Maser and watched market climb out of reach I felt like I have moved out of the Sydney housing market, if that makes sence, now I feel like I have purchased into a much more select suburb, and looking foward to moving in!
    Graeme

I look foward to it.

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
  18. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Yes highly recommended - worth it for the magazines alone. The text event reminder service is great too!

19. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thanks for the link I will sort that out soon.
    I have confidence with CM to get the car in time for the Concourse, who knows I may get a surprise!

20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats again mate! Cool story and that is beautiful colour combo on that car.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts when start driving it.

Take care and enjoy Graeme.

21. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #21 au-yt, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    I ran Len Vines the ferrari sales and service center in Melbourne where my car was deivered, to day to ask about my cars service history.
    The Service person (leaving names aside) I spoke too asked me what the last 5 digits of the SN was and then said he couldn't give me the history due to privacy reasons....
    I then mentioned that the previous owner was deceased he said he was not aware of that

I asked about the dreaded Valve guide issue he said that he that all the 456Ms had 550 based enginies (?) and had never seem a 456 with the heads removed. Interesting.

He said that he got an award for having all the Aussie cars Service letteres brought up todate (circa 2006). What ever that includes, some homework to do there.

As all the Aussie cars were ordered through the UK at that time if there is more quality control and the valve gude issue isnt a problem. sorry I am still sceptical.
    Cheers
    Graeme

22. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
    If it breaks, fix it.

Nice car.
    Enjoy.

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I have the Workshop Manuals and the tools all I need is the car!

24. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    check the tools in case PP has stolen the torch :eek:

25. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    He's more into fleshlights than flashlights. :eek: ;)