WA, where are the nice places to live? | FerrariChat

WA, where are the nice places to live?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RS man, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    My wife has got it into her head we will need to emigrate to Perth!!! I am getting to the point of wanting to live in a warm climate once more as I have been in UK for over 20yrs now and finding the cold, wet weather rather miserable. I have never been to Perth, let alone anywhere in Australia. It would be nice to have some ideas where are the reasonably nice areas to live. I am not ultra-rich so forget the super-expensive areas. I personally do not want to live in the city but in the suburbs/near the country.I would first have to get a job as a clinician so I guess would need to be close to one of the hospitals. Obviously I have no idea where these hospitals are so if anyone has some pointers it would be welcomed. I need to find out as much as possible before I even think of applying as it will be a very big change in environment. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
    Many thanks.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  3. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    he said he's not super-rich

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    "Perth is a city in central Scotland, located on the banks of the River Tay. It is the administrative centre of Perth and Kinross council area and the historic county of Perthshire"

Shouldn't be a big move:)

5. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a town in Tassie as well

6. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Very helpful ................. not
    All from people who have never been there!!!

7. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Don't come

We are full :D

8. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
  9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Fixed

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I have so, stopped in to pick up a colleague on my way to Kambalda where men are men and sheep are nervous.

Also worked there for a month helping out the local engineering branch ... wasn't impressed

11. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Neither were they

Or so I hear :D

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Kambalda would have saved the Yanks billions , it is exactly the same as Mars, the lakes are white and the soil is all red.

It's a 2 hour drive from Kalgoolie and the lunatic I was with tried to pass the time betting me $2 for every roo we saw first ..... after the ceremonial slapping over the head I said NOTHING would live out here, not even ants !!!

13. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    spent 2 weeks in Perth in Nov 2013, Freo was nice but everything else is just terrible.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Unless your wife is an Australian citizen, you may want to check out the immigration rules first - not easy, even for professionals unless you fall into one of the 'needed' categories. Scientists are pathetically underpaid in Aus as well...

15. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Lived in Perth for a year a few years ago. Pilot strike happened shortly after settling in so I was stuck on the wrong side of Australia for what seemed like an eternity.

I remember the weather girl on TV used to stand in front of the Eastern States and describe the forecast for a variety of one pub towns and often made no mention of the forecast for the rest of Australia

I also remember petrol stations worked on a roster system after hours and weekends

It was a while ago so I am sure its all grown up now

Fremantle would be one of the nicer places to live if working in Perth

Mandurah is on the coast south of Perth and was also a nice place to live

16. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    #17 RS man, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Thanks for the reply so far, some helpful some less helpful but very humerous

:D:D:D You sure about that, looks a lot less crowded than where I am ;)

My god loads of hospitals in just one city....

Great, I'll have a nose through those

Yes, I've heard about the difficulties before. There have been agencies who have been recruiting in UK which perhaps will make the process easier. What if a job is offered first, would there be difficulties in that situation? I don't want to find that I have resigned my current job only to find I actually cannot go there.

17. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    OK another question since you are car guys/gals. Where could I find more information regarding legalising my vehicle? I have info about LHD car in WA but my car has an aftermarket half cage that came fitted with the car when I bought it fromthe previous owner. Who can I ask about what I need to do as I'm not too keen on getting it removed as it will leave holes in the carpet

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Sell it, not worth the hassle of getting something like that here

19. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Be very careful of agencies spruiking 457 visas - it seems to be the current popular scam... I would truly suggest contacting the Embassy or go online and get the straight facts from impartial public service.

20. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Not when it 993RS!

21. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Don't worry, he has know eye dear. ;)

22. beetle_driver

beetle_driver Rookie

Jan 3, 2014
    From what I know, you can import your car as a personal import when you're emigrating from another country.

You can go to the Department of Transport website of WA on here

Information regarding importing a vehicle can be found here

There are a lot of information regarding houses and neighbourhoods on realestate.com.au if you want to have a gander. I would recommend neighbourhoods like South Perth, Applecross, Crawley, Dalkeith, Claremont, and Cottesloe.

23. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Thank you, the sort of info I was looking for as even if presented with realestate.com.au I couldn't quite figure out where to look.

24. andecorp

andecorp Formula 3

Jun 5, 2005
    Melb
    Why Perth? Apart from weather, it's pretty much a s-hole compared to other cities. Melbourne and sydney destroy it as far as livability goes.