F355 Steering Wheel Spacers and Airbags | FerrariChat

F355 Steering Wheel Spacers and Airbags

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Qavion, Mar 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    G'day, folks.
    Being long-legged and (relatively) short armed, I was wondering if anyone had modified a late model (airbag-fitted) F355 steering column with spacers for extra comfort?

Failing that, in Australia, is it legal to remove the airbag and fit spacers and a non-airbag Momo steering wheel of choice?

I've been driving around in a car with no airbag for 16 years, but... it was born that way.

I see Hill Engineering make adaptors for airbag cars for fitting Challenge steering wheels, but I assume the Challenge wheel doesn't have an airbag (?). I have the feeling that having no airbag would trigger warnings, too.

SWS-355B - 355 Spacer by: Hill Engineering - Hill Engineering Ferrari

Does this extend the steering column or just compensate for the bulk of the airbag?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers
    Ian.

2. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Hi Ian. Best to ask the question in the 355 section of this site. You will get all the info you need there . Cheers

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Steve.
    I tried the 348/355 forum earlier and the best answer I got was that it would be easy to have a spacer made up for the 4-poster wheel. It sounds like no one has tried to do it yet.

Also, I just realised that the standard non-airbag black Momo wheels, although they look fabulous on most F cars, would not suit my (prospective) car's colours.

It may be best to ask a few local Ferrari mechanics to see if they've come across this problem before.

Cheers
    Ian.