930 to Ferrari 348? | FerrariChat

930 to Ferrari 348?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Uncle, Apr 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uncle

Uncle Rookie

Jun 6, 2014
    Newcastle
    Hello gents, first thread by me but I've been reading on here for a while so I use the word "gents" very loosely.

Anyway I've had a bit of a thought in my head for a while now about getting a Ferrari. I've tried drinking to make it go away but it's still there. So either the reduction of working brain cells has dumbed me down enough to make it seem like a better idea or the reduction of brain cells has lead to somewhat of an evolution of my brain cells with the stronger ones among them surviving and it has indeed been these cells telling me it is a good idea.

But I digress. I'm fairly handy with a spanner so don't really have a fear of pulling an engine to do a clutch change or the like. It's just they way it is. Granted G series Porsches are not exactly unreliable but if you're not fixing an oil leak on an air cooled Porsche you should check to see if it has oil in it..
    My main fear is well. Am I going to get bored?
    My current car is a modified 930 that is reasonably fast (1000kg/379RWHP) but it's time for a change. I've been looking at 348's for a while purely from an aesthetic stand point as I quite like the shape. My worry is I'm going to get bored with the power quickly and will be looking for more. I know it's not all about power it's about the sound, the general enjoyment of an early morning drive bla bla bla but I have to be honest with myself and admit it. I'm a junky.

2. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Buy Andecorp's.

If it's too slow, turbo it.

3. Uncle

Uncle Rookie

Jun 6, 2014
    Newcastle
    That's exactly what I did to my first 911. Not an overly hard job but it can be a spendy one.

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    What he said - it's the best one I have seen

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    There was a turbo kit available a while back for $2500 for 355 engines so would be similar for the 348

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #6 Aircon, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went from a 930, but a standard one (almost....330hp) to a 355 Challenge. I never regretted my decision. If I'd gone from a 930 to a 348 I wouldn't have been as happy.

However, the performance your car must have is very intoxicating. You'll probably be disappointed in just about anything after that, apart from some of the latest and greatest....and very expensive.

Having said that, if you can overcome the performance deficit, a 348 certainly has that classic 80s look and, with the right exhaust, can sound amazing. If it was me, I'd be going for a 355....if you can find a good one. Not having to do valve clearances on a 355 is a huge bonus compared to a 348, IMO, but if you can do all that stuff yourself, it might not be an issue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    That 355 CH is a special machine! Is it still in Melbourne?

And yes, I agree with the others, buy Andre's 348, he is a car guy and not misrepresent.
    The power issue for me is moot. Unless you track the car there is no place to use it. Better to have style and sound over outright performance (IMHO). The F12 is a case in point - too much power; nowhere to use it.

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Moretti has it now. He's on the Gold Coast.

9. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

That poor car.

10. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    :D

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

If your 930 is very nice, you can but 2 348 ' s with the proceeds from the 930 sale. I would rather have the 930 however.

Good luck in any event!!

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

ouch...but I agree.

Let's think about what's better about the Porsche.

1. Power.
    2. Handling
    3. Reliability
    4. Brakes
    5. Cost of ownership.
    6. Seats
    7. Space for luggage and passengers
    8. Future saleability

What's better about the 348...

13. GTRMagic

GTRMagic Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Hey Mr Dee Jay....
    1. Pap has one..

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I said BETTER

15. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    SORTED! :D

16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    how's that for a start?

17. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

What did Luca DM say about them?

18. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    STFU KK ?

19. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

OLIO

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    cover up.....your bias is showing.

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    not at all, I just prefer Ferraris to Porsches. Seems perfectly reasonable to me :)

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's the very definition of bias!

Sadly for you, my list is right and yours is wrong.

23. Uncle

Uncle Rookie

Jun 6, 2014
    Newcastle
    Yep it's a helluva nice car and would be perfect for me but I'd guess it will sell before I've sold my car.
    Thats very cheap. I paid much more than that just for a set of Fabspeed headers. Do you happen to remember what came with the "kit". The car before my current car was a factory built Gemballa GTR. The cheap bastard Uwe used a pair of Volvo TDO15G's and charged cubic bucks for them.

Thanks for the insight. I know I'd love a 355 Challenge but honestly the money is not going to spread that far right now. 85k is about the hight of the budget. I've been working hard toward a zero debt position and I'd rather just buy a car outright.

Nah it's a bastard hotrod. You can't drop a few hundred KG's and gain 100 or so rwhp and keep them original. I deliberately bought a car that was not a surviver for this reason. I like a nice original car as much as the next guy but it not what I want for myself. To be honest a 348 with blown engine would suit me just fine.

It's a good honest start Ian. Not to sure about the handling but I have to be honest and admit I've never driven a 348. My car needs a little skill to drive around corners quickly but it's not without merit.
    On point 8 my car is a bastard so the hard fact is its not going to grow as fast as other factory cars. Right now it's a very bullish market for air cooled cars there is no doubt about that.

Here is the current car for reference. The 3.8RS wing is gone and it now has a stock 3.3 wing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    if that's the budget, try this car. It's known by a few of us and even though it's not totally stock, it's in excellent nick.

1991 Ferrari 348 tb

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #25 PAP 348, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017