599 GTO Prices in Australia | FerrariChat

599 GTO Prices in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Scud8, Apr 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Does anyone have any ideas what the current market prices are for these used cars now in Australia. Heard they were going for around AUD 1M new.

I have read that prices in USA and UK are escalating so I would presume that it would be the same for Australia too.

Thanks.

2. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    The last one for sale that I sae was the matte black one for around 700k.

3. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks simsko. Now, wouldn't it be a good idea if one has the dough to purchase a used one in Australia for say around Aud700k and than sell it off to a buyer or dealer in UK as I hear there are fetching around GBP650k. Exchange rate would be around Aud1.93 to a Pound sterling. Even selling it on for GBP500k, you'll still be able to make a tidy profit. Have no idea what the cost and complication are to export it out of Australia? Probably you might have some ideas on that front too. Thanks.

4. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    #4 simsko, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    I'm sure there are margins to be made but there are a number of things to consider:
    - What are the laws regarding importing newer cars into the UK? Obviously classics come in but what domestically sold cars post 2000.
    - Are the prices just hype or are they actually being sold for that price?
    - You would have to buy one of the ten from here which aren't exactly up for sale.
    - Than you would have to sell it over in the UK. Probably through a dealer/auction/website.
    - Than you have to consider the "ethical" side of one less GTO going overseas. These cars will increase in stature and myth over time and it would be interesting to see them in the country for many decades to come. ie. someone in 50 years does a search on the Aus GTOs and these threads come up.
    - But if prices do go nuts, than the UK and Japan are probably the only markets worth considering. South Africa may be an option as well as India.

5. Scud8

Scud8 Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks Simon, your views and comments on this subject is very much appreciated!! Cheers!

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    No they won't, because the 599GTO was little more than a cynical "runout special" ahead of the F12 release. Unlike the 250GTO, it was not a competition car that competed in and won the World Sportscar Championship. The 599 never deserved the GTO badge, because it was not an "Omologato" model.

The 599GTO will likely depreciate to about 25% of it's original price and stabilise there.

All car makers have model lifecycle plans. No doubt there will be an F12GTO in a few years time, it's easier than finding new Italian words for runout models.

7. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I can see that. So it will be more like a challenge, scuderia, Speciale etc version rather than a one off? I guess the only counter point to that is a street version of the 599xx. And the 288 GTO ain't exactly cheap either even though that was actually omologato:). But what happens with the f12 "GTO" will also have a big effect. Is there an f12xx program?