Wanted entry level Ferrari | FerrariChat

Wanted entry level Ferrari

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Roward7, May 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hello All, I have been looking to join the ranks of Ferrari owners for a while now and due to possible eye issues worsening I hope not but have to be real (I have Glacoma) have decided to try and for-fill my wish to have a weekend pride and joy before I have to give up the privilege of driving and as we all have seen with the leap in prices.... May have left my entry too late, but haven't given up just yet... Just recently missed the chance to take ownership of a Blue Mondial as the owner decided to keep it, and late last year opted not to jump on a 328... Silly now looking back but we move forward so...have spoken with all the usual touch points....i.e BS motors, J.A and such like but they also have no leads at this time so if anyone has any constructive thoughts, suggestions it would be appreciated, not a big fan of Red so other colour preferred, Looking for the entry level range and the ones of my youth so models:- QV Mondial, 308 GT4, 308, love a 328 but might have missed the boat. I know the Aussie chapter doesn't have a strong buy sell Thread section but if you don't ask you will never know :)
    You can Pm me if preferred on my email :- [email protected]
    Thanks and regards,
    Rob.

2. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    308s look great but you may have missed the boat on those.

308GT4 also looks good and may be almost the only remaining bargain in Ferrari world.

3. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    348 is cheap and a great car

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #4 PAP 348, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Slab of VB, unless the price of beer went up :p

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I'll take it! :D

7. FGT3

FGT3 Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    Hello Rob, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your health concerns. I would say be careful of those lower level models that seem to be inflating like balloons in value. Some of this is influenced by speculative buyers and exchange rates - the bubble may burst. I liked that blue QV mondial on the face of it but did not get to see it or know any history etc. Seem to recall it was claimed to have been a Japanese import. I too prefer non red F cars. I have not personally owned a mondial, but note many that do seem to think they are super value. Maybe $40k as opposed to $80k for many other entry level F cars. There are plenty of people that you ought to get into contact with in clubs and at displays days etc. Ideally buy a car with a good history and receipts folder, ideally from someone you know or one of your contacts know. This can however be difficult in a frenzied market. Hope all goes well for you.

8. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    Pap are you selling the magical tb? What is next

9. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    Rob I'd recommend paps 348tb if you are after a really really good example ferrari.
    It's the right colour combination and nothing to spend. Look no further and get in touch with Jim pap regarding the 348 if you are lucky enough to get it.

10. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    You should have no trouble selling yr tb pap. After all, those chicks on that cooking show put mount isa on the map. Post some pics of the tb please. About 50 photos will do for now haha

11. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi FGT3, thank you for your comments, yes the Mondial was origanly out of HK and as so may have had some issues due to its start in life but I guess that also could be the case with Aus delivered as well it all depends on previous custodians of said vehicles and yes the current market is putting lower priced cars into a perhaps overinflated value :)
    Yes I have been to various Ferrari club events and have the pleasure in meeting some helpful fellow enthusiasts. I am not looking for a garage queen or to show her, just a enjoyable car that while isn't going the be a money pit can be improved and enjoyed as time and funds allow... Smile.
    Yes I agree finding a car through a contact rather than through the likes of car sales and such is my thoughts also hence the touch base here even though the Aus side of F/Chat is a bit more jovial than the other side of the world I know there is a lot of readers that don't join in on the weekly posting but stay on the side lines so hoping to maybe touch base with them :)
    Thanks again for your input appreciate the helpful comments.

BTW I should have been clearer in my mentioning colour preference, the Mondial and GT4 are the models that I find more appealing in colours other than Red, 308's & 328 do make red look good :).

PAP, yes 348's are also great cars I just prefer the older smaller stance models, and as you have mentioned may times your 348 is not on the Market and nor should it be, least of all for a Slab :)

Cheers,
    R.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #12 PAP 348, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cheers for the kind words mate. :)

No, my 348 is not for sale at this point in time. Love it too much. :)

Nothing to spend but the cost of a major service. :eek:

But that's easy, I just need to get around to it. A mate was actually telling me today he is going to put a new shed up soon and I will setup my hoist in there until I build my shed.

With his shed/tools and my hoist, I will have no excuse to do that major service as I can get it in there and pull the engine out and leave it there for as long as I need.

I will have my Boiler Maker friend make a trolley for me to lower the engine on and work on it at waist height.

All good, just time I don't have as I was too busy fixing everyone elses cars over the last 3-4 years and the kids etc consume plenty of time now.

Here are two pics mate, just for you. My most recent ones of the car if you haven't seen it yet. :D

Eurospec is behind the wheel.

No worries mate, totally understand and yes, my car is not for sale. You have a good memory. ;)

Sorry to hear of your medical condition, I hope you find the right car soon and enjoy it as much as you can.

I am glad I bought my car when I was 25 years old as it will allow me to have plenty of years to enjoy it before I become old and stiff and won't be able to get in and out of a Ferrari. :eek:

Take care and good luck R. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Nice to hear some positive help from the Oz forum. I must admit I don't read the Oz site very much at all. Good luck with your search unfortunately my friend is not wanting to sell his 328 at the moment.

14. FGT3

FGT3 Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    I may be wrong Rob, but I feel you may struggle to find a 308/328 S or B for sale at what I would consider an entry level price in Australia at the moment. A GT4 may also currently be hard to find at an entry level price, but you should be able to find a QV mondial at say $40k. These must surely start to appreciate soon too, or maybe they already have? Last I looked you could get one for around $35k.

15. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Paul, Thanks for touching base and asking you friend anyway appreciate the effort…..

Yes who would have thought The Down Under Section to be so loud with the sound of Crickets…… but crickets do like to live in the long grass in and around the Horse paddocks so kind of makes sense….. LOL

Might need to brush up on my German and look at second choice of Marque, I think I am slowly getting the hint, re this pony club…but I never said I was quick…. Smile

Thanks Again,
    R.

16. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi FGT3
    Yes Indeed the thought was along the QV Mondial line, due to the rapid rise in interest in the others.. or should I say all.... Lets hope the interest is for the right reasons and the current custodians keep their charges in good working order so once the r/coaster dips again the outsiders can then enjoy the chance to care for one.

Regards,
    R.

17. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
  18. ugame

ugame Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Winter
    I never really liked the GT4's until spending some time behind a couple at last years pasta run in Perth.

Great looking cars.

Also, without knowing your budget, 360's are cheaper than you'd think at the moment.

Good luck in your search and I hope you are living the dream soon.

I'm also just rebooting my own efforts after stupidly missing out on being able to get a Testarossa mid GFC.

My advice, do NOT let fear of living the dream hold you back.

I'll be watching 348's, 360's, and 458's in the coming years and be ready to pounce soon hopefully.

19. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

So you weren't game?

;)

20. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    good 360s aren't that cheap anymore, import or Aus delivered

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    No Ferrari has ever been cheap. :eek:

22. ugame

ugame Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Winter
    haha well played sir.

23. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    if we're talking cheap to buy then mondial immediately springs to mind
    cheap to own - you're right :)

24. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    The concern here is not buying the Ferrari,it's maintaining the ferrari as the parts are expensive. Example, I'm currently looking to buy a spare rim/wheel for my 328. Very rare to find just the one & Ive come across a $700 or $1500 spare rim. Ouch

25. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    yep, staying on top of maintenance is not cheap by any measure