Wheel Restoration | FerrariChat

Wheel Restoration

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Al Campbell, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Hi,

I have just purchased some nice new Michelin XWX's for my 400i & would like to get my poor old wheels refinished before fitting the new tyres. They have a few layers of paint & some corrosion.
    Has anyone had wheels restored?
    Can anyone recommend any wheel restorers that will do a professional job?

Cheers Al

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Where do you live Al? Might be easier for us to recommend someone in your area.

3. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Alice Springs NT.

Has anyone had any experiences with -
    Extensive Wheel Services
    307 South Road
    Mile End SA 5031

Cheers Al

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I haven't used or heard of those guys before Al, but I have sent a few sets of wheels to these guys on the Gold Coast and they do excellent work. They come back looking like new.

Mag-It Wheels.
    Shop 4, 52 Siganto Drive
    Helensvale QLD 4212
    (07) 5573 0555

Mag-IT Wheels

5. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Al,

if your wheels have corrosion started, don't send them to a generic wheel refinisher, unless they have specific experience with old Italian wheels.

They will need to be bead blasted (carefully to avoid losing detail) then follow a slow process of baking (for as long as possible) priming with chromate primer (only available at aircraft repair facilities) then bake again, then normal primer, then paint, which is base colour plus satin clear coat.

Not cheap, but if you don't do it properly the corrosion will reappear within a year.

Ian

6. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #6 Al Campbell, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the replies.

Ian,
    Can you recommend anyone?

This is the worst of them. They all look to still have the raised lettering intact (some a bit hidden under layers of paint) & I would like to preserve this as best as possible. So I want to find someone that won't just hit them with a sandblaster & squirt some paint on.

Cheers Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Mark from Oldtimer in Brisbane just had a set of wheels done for a C4, looked like a nice job. Contact details on his website Oldtimer Australia, classic cars, racing cars, sports cars

Last year I used this stuff as the primer on my (high magnesium) race car wheels:
    Pantheon PreKote 065-1002 Surface Pretreatment

They have stayed corrosion free ever since. You apply it by hand with a scourer pad. Order online from a US supplier SkyGeek.com - Aviation Tools, Aircraft Oil, Parts, Sealants, Grease, Ground Support, Headsets & More!

Trick is to have the wheels plastic bead blasted to remove paint, not metal. Then wrap them in clingfilm immediately, then into a painter's oven for 24 hours to remove any moisture absorbed in the metal, then apply the PreKote. After that, fill the corrosion dimples, prime and paint as normal.

Hope that helps.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good info!

9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ian is spot on.
    Don't expect to pay $100 a wheel, it's very expensive to do this properly. Ken Ward did a few sets for me over the years. The oldest set were done 20yrs ago and they are still perfect.
    Expect to pay something like $500 a wheel if you don't plan to get your hands dirty yourself.

10. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    20 years and 200km ago :)

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh come on it's at least 1000km's !! :p

In any case that has little to do with the reaction that causes the paint to bubble without the correct prep prior to painting.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    As it's been said a million times in the past........................"it's all in the prep work". :)

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Is that what Nicole tells you?

:p