F355 Spider New Roof Fitment | FerrariChat

F355 Spider New Roof Fitment

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Qavion, Jun 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    G'day folks...

I recently ordered a replacement canvas for my '98 F355 Spider (non-genuine, but OEM material), similar to this:

Ferrari 355 F355 Spider Convertible Soft TOP With Window 1995 1999 | eBay

I hear they are quite difficult to fit. Does anyone know of somewhere in Sydney where I might be able to have one of these fitted correctly? I assume the official Ferrari places wouldn't want to fit a non-genuine part. Or perhaps someone knows of someone who could explain the difficulties of fitting them (I have tools and plenty of time on my hands)

Thanks!
    Cheers
    Ian

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 moretti, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Ian,

If you search in the 355 section of fchat for soft top replacement I'm sure you'll find the answer you're after

This might help as a starter :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/313502-f355-spider-roof-operation.html

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Ian,a friend of mine went through this last year and it was nothing short of a nightmare for him.The only reason he replaced the roof was because it looked worn in certain places and he had just had the car resprayed and wanted the car to look completely new.

He brought it to one upholsterer who he had refresh parts of his leather interior fit a new OEM roof which he supplied that came from Ferrari but after they had fitted it the roof wouldn't open/close properly anymore.The original roof worked fine prior to the new roof.

Then he brought it to another shop and they re fitted the roof claiming the first guy didn't fit it properly,but he still had problems with the roof opening/closing although it was better than the first guy.

In the end I helped him go over it again and we went through the entire hydraulic system as well and changed the fluid with the help of a few good write ups here on Fchat.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    P.S. Just saw the second post. Thanks for the heads-up, Maurice.

The old roof tore when it was put on a hoist. The repairs were not the best, but now I see the potential for much more damage (when fitting the new one). Even even OEM roofs give problems, I don't fancy my chances. Live and learn :p

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Yes it looked like a nightmare of a job.Funny thing was I told him I replaced the roof on my old 74' Alfa spider and found that easy enough of a job and said "How hard could it be on the 355"

Try asking Sandy or Russell at Cavallino Motorsport who they would recommend.
    Ferrari Service | Ferrari Repairs | Ferrari Test Equipment | Ferrari Parts | Ferrari Restorations Sydney | Australia Cavallino Motorsports

7. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    #7 FazzerPorscheman, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You may have already tried to condition. There are no doubt other brands with similar products, however I've had great success with these two Porsche products on our Porsche Boxster's canvas hood.

Once is a shampoo, the other an aerosol spray which renews, waterproofs and leaves a rich finish on drying.

Perhaps you can have the tear repaired and then this may be worth a try. May save you a lot of trouble, time and money. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    shampoo and spray on a Boxster?

That is SO gay. :D

9. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    I'll be sure to tell Wendy you said that. :)

What did you use on the Chopper? ;)

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    blood, sweat and tears.

11. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That must have smelt terrible :)

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unfortunately, the previous owner tried this and it looks messy inside and out.

Will do. Thanks.

Cheers
    Ian

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Feeling rather slack, but I still haven't got around to fitting the new canvas. Main reason: The car was in the garage for a long time and in the garage light, the roof to me looked like faded black, so I ordered a black one (non-original, but made of the same material). In sunlight, however, I realised it was a dark navy (confirmed by the previous owner). With no chance of returning the canvas, I'm wondering how the roof would look in black... and would it affect the resale at some point in the future.

My car is a pale/silvery blue colour.

http://members.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/FerrariF355Spider/Fab355.jpg

The car has a few bits of black on it, so in some respects it won't look out of place. The black may make the car look too top heavy, though.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Cheers
    Ian.

(EDIT: FazzerPorscheman... Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the cleaning/care suggestion. Would I get these products online, or direct from a Porsche dealer?)

14. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    You could get them from an Official Porsche Centre Ian.

15. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    I'm having a little trouble with opening and closing the roof on my spider. Can anyone help me fix this problem please. I'm in canberra

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The oil level still full mate?

17. perrm

perrm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2010
    Canberra, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
  18. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    Yes oil level is full and has been refilled and bled through. The problem is in the small hydraulic lifter on the drivers side

19. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
  20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The small ram on the drivers side is leaking?

Did all the oil leak out, you refilled it and it's working ok now?

I have to replace another leaking roof locking ram in a friends 2001 SLK230 Merc when the part arrives.

The same thing happened to him. The roof stopped working, I checked the oil level for him and it was empty.

Felt the hood lining inside the car and it was wet with oil. I checked the other 4 rams and they are ok.

I replaced the same ram and two of the top lift rams a few years ago in his other SLK230. He owned 3 at the same time back then. Still owns 2 of them.

21. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    Yes I think the small ram at the back is leaking but very very little. The oil level is ok

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    So the roof is working ok now the tank has been filled and the system bled? :)

23. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    No it's not. One side is fine. The other won't latch on the pin on the way up. Putting the roof down is ok

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  25. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name: