Opinion needed please | FerrariChat

Opinion needed please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Transient, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Transient

Transient Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    transient
    Hi Guys,
    Can I have your opinions please on what you think of UK imported Ferraris, in particular the 360 Modena model. There seem to be a significant amount of these imports for sale on carsales.com.
    Any opinions welcome.
    thanks....

2. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    just search for 'UK import' on this section, you'll be presented with plethora of light reading

3. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    Now thats a GREAT question.

Personally I love UK imports and I hear we possibly have a new convert in the OZ section with a new FEHOS coming.

But others here.............maybe not so much.

4. Westvic

Westvic Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    bryan
    Hi
    I have been looking for the last 6 months for a manual F360 and have inspected many cars most being UK imports
    However most of these show huge amounts of corrosion on suspension and under tray with some times suspect mileage showing on the odo
    Also many of shops who do the Vass auto compliance can be a bit dodgy I personally know of one of these shops stating they had changed belts and tensioners when no work was carried out
    I am sure that you can find some good import cars but these do not bring the same price as Aust delivered cars

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Wont be long before UK cars that have been here for some time start getting shipped back as their supply dries up.

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ^^^^^^^^this.

Non aussie compliance cars can be VERY hard to sell....sometimes next to impossible.

7. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Everything sells, just a question of price.

8. SomewhereSouth

Jun 6, 2015
    Hi Westvic,

We got into the market for a Lancia Delta Integrale a few years ago and given Lancia's track record, we were extremely wary of potential rust issues. The UK roads just eat Deltas and I'm nowhere near surprised to learn that F360s are the same. Luckily we were able to source some cars from Japan which was brilliant, however the Ferraris over there are predominantly LHD, which is unhelpful for Aussies.

Malaysia, however, is a RHD country with no road salting that I'm aware of. I've been keeping an eye on the market for Testarossas there (there isn't really one, sadly) as the prices seem to be quite a bit down on what you would expect to see internationally. Generally, there is a market for anything from the F355 onwards.

I'm not familiar with the Australian vehicle import rules - New Zealand's are relatively simple - but if it is possible to comply your own import then it might give you an option to acquire one with lower rust risk. I shudder to think how many amazing cars the UK roads have destroyed but I'm assuming they have no other options.

9. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Unless it is mint as new let the Pommy cars go, I have yet to see one that is a must have car most have a little story if you dig deep . A couple of years ago I looked at a very tidy 360 I called the dealer in the UK that most of the service history was done by and they had no such vin or rego on the books. Also the SD2 report was missing a lot of history.

10. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They're all Aussie compliance once they've gone through the process.

Alright, alright, I'll be on my way now.... :)

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol

good try

12. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Stay Australian delivered - if you can find one. When purchasing a Maserati GranSport, we looked at two cars - one a UK import & the other a rare Australian delivered car. The difference is night and day!

13. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I must have gotten very lucky with my 83 QV imported from the UK, it has no rust. Even Tim from Black Stallion motors could not believe its condition after showing me whilst it was up on the hoist.
    Mind you it only had 22000 miles on the clock, so i guess it has only done summer driving over in the UK.

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They're not all rubbish, but sadly, they're all tarred with the same brush.

My 328GTB UK car also had no rust, but they're the exception, not the rule, and even the GTB, which was never sold in Aus, was difficult to sell, and the first question was always "is it aussie delivered"

15. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    Ditto for me Sean but I sure did have lots of Waxoyl underneath and in the doors...a nightmare to clean.

16. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hmmm... Trying too hard to justify your purchase, I think...

:)

17. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Given that now even "garden variety" Ferrari's are world-cars, are they actually hard to sell, or are they only hard to sell in this tiny, insignificant market?

18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's not insignificant in the Ferrari mind

19. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Australia has one of the highest per capita rates of Ferrari ownership, was either the 2nd or 3rd country to have an official Ferrari importer (WH Lowe) and has the 3rd largest (by membership) owners club in the world, (after the USA and UK.)
    I know from Ferrari's perspective it's not considered insignificant

And yes, it's still harder to sell a UK import 360 / 355 in Australia.

20. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  21. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As a coincidence I was talking to a guy yesterday who went to school with Bill Lowe's son.

22. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  23. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I agree,something to do with Bill wanting to bring a new one over to race,Enzo said "why don't you try to sell one"...or something like that.
    I'm sure God will know the whole story.

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know if they were the first, but at one stage, they were certainly the longest running...meaning others had closed down, obviously.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OMG...will you stop trying to justify your purchase?

Advertise your car, just for fun, and see what happens.