Power tools | FerrariChat

Power tools

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PSk, Jun 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Recently my Bosch GSB16RE professional drill has driven me insane, thanks to its keyless chuck not being able to grip just about any of my drill bits. Yes I drill into steel but the only way I can get it to grab the drill bit is to over speed the drill, causing unnecessary heat and wear and not to push at all. Simply pathetic.

Now this one is not that old, the previous one or two (?, can't remember) also used to have trouble but no where near as much as this one gripping the drill bit, in fact the last successfully drilled some 16mm holes into concrete but it eventually cried enough and died.

I also go through a Bosch 6" grinder almost every year, and a few months ago I opened one and had a look and discovered to my horror that the brushes are designed so that after a certain amount of wear a spring pushes through the brush and lifts it off the stator so the drill will not work. I've found removing the spring gets another 6 months work out of the grinder! Shame on Bosch.

So I'm going off Bosch, which is a pity as my first drill was a Bosch (but it did not have a keyless chuck) and drilled squillions of holes, some way too large for the poor drill and lasted very well, in fact my father has it and it is still going well over 20 years later!!

So what brand do you recommend?

My first grinder was a Hitachi I think and that lasted over 20 years. I recently tried a Hitachi drill with a keyed chuck but the chuck cracked!

Very frustrating that it appears you can not buy decent power tools anymore.
    Pete

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Call Marc and get him to do the work :p

(I use a lot of Makita tools ..... but they are old due to them being so good, maybe they don't make them as good these days)

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep re Makita.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    We use Makita at work. The cordless range.

Drills, rattle guns, grinders, jigsaws, you name it we have it.

They use an 18V Lithium battery which goes forever.

These tools get absolutely thrashed, thrown around and covered in oil and grease and they work day in day out.

We have around 12 batteries we use I only just threw a dud one out last week that stopped taking a charge.

The only problem we have had is the standard chucks they put on their drills. They don't last long, maybe got around 12 months out of them before we replaced them with a high quality all steel replacement. Has been perfect ever since.

We have used them for over 5 years now underground with absolutely no problems. If they last down there, then you know they will last forever in the real world.

When I get around to it, I am going to buy myself a cordless Makita drill, 1/2" rattle gun and 4" angle grinder for home. They will hopefully last me a lifetime.

This is the gear I am talking about.....

https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dlx6027ptx-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-6pce-cordless-brushless-combo-kit?fee=4&fep=11173&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7_mrBRDH4Y2UjLHEmfcBEiQA8OTHf8srsh29hY7FMXVvjQxYgKRsiI8ZCb3DJXgLHbRke2EaAoCs8P8HAQ

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Do Makita make non-cordless power tools?

I say this because cordless does not work for me because while I work my tools hard, it is only in fits and farts so it could be a month before I jump into the shed again and if left charging the battery will be ruined and if not left charging will be flat :(, and I've found them torque-less.

Note though I have only tried cheap cordless products and as useless did not want to spend more money on them.
    Pete

6. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  7. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That must have been a long time ago. All (decent) cordless tools have lithium ion batteries, no memory effect and retain their charge for ages - (a year)
    Corded power tools are hardly used anymore, too much of OHS issue with tripping on construction sites, and there is the need to regularly test & tag every tool & extension cable.
    Cordless tools these days are very, very good and convenient to use.

Also re the Bosch tools. I purchased a bundle of their 18v "professional" cordless tools.
    Not happy, should have bought Makita or DeWalt.

Cheap cordless tools: waste of money.

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yep, you're just increasing the cost of good tools buying the rubbish

9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My Makita cordless drill does everything - lots of torque, good battery life, good chuck - the couple of times it's slipped drilling steel I've been able to twist it a bit tighter

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Mate,you missed out on the deal of the century about a year ago.
    At our local(now in the process of closing down :()Mitre 10,$399 bought you the 18 volt drill and rattle gun,3 batteries and the charger.
    I had a warranty on the drill,the shaft became loose,fixed under warranty...all good now.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Did your patients squawk at the time ?

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cut price dentist ?

13. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I never listen - it's not that I don't have sympathy, it's that I'm entirely without empathy

14. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Doctor - if I were a dentist, I'd have a few more F cars and no mortgage

15. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOl very good.

16. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    High 5! Silly me did a year of Dentistry and then decided Medicine would be a better career

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks guys, Makita cordless it will be. I'll have to save up, but buying Bosch again would be like continue to poke a pin in my eye!
    Pete

18. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    If you want serious tools the buy HILTI or MILWAUKEE for cordless drills.

For your slippage problem , you can buy a keyed chuck which has a Hexagonal drive to go into your keyless chuck. This will stop the slippage.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Man, that WAS the deal of the century! You should have let me know. :p

+1 :D

20. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    And?

21. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The Faculty head saw him driving his Stag, felt sorry for him, gave him his degree.

22. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

That's what I did

23. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

That too

24. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I concur regarding Bosch. I loaded up on the 18V Bosch blue range about 5 years ago. Battery life is shocking, has been since day 1 on both 1.5 and 3Ah batteries.

I've used my cousin's tradie Makita range and was impressed. My brother also upgraded from DeWalt to Milwaukee recently and says its like night and day. Swears by Milwaukee.

I think you'll be happy with either. Be sure to let us know.

25. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Like anything in life, buy cheap crap and you will get what you paid for- crap. Better off saving up for good gear that will do a better job and last the distance.