GPS / ODBii / In-Car Tracking 3g & 4g Devices | FerrariChat

GPS / ODBii / In-Car Tracking 3g & 4g Devices

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Robertus, Jun 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The last thread on this goes back to 2011.
    I am interested if anyone amongst us has one of these fitted to there car now?

As insurance premiums have risen and more & more insurance companies are now asking the question if a Tracker is installed and with the yearly contracts around the $400 to $600 mark per year, 3g & 4g coverage, Google maps etc, is it now a reasonable investment to protect your Ferrari?

Or is it still the saying "if you steal the vehicle make sure you completely wreck it as you don't won't it back?"

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I wouldn't worry about it until the insurance companies make it compulsory to have one fitted. *If they ever do*

I see a lot of people selling them on Facebook now. GPS trackers for $199. Track them via your iPhone.

People are buying them like hot cakes too, mainly for the motorbikes. I was tempted to buy one for the Ferrari also, then I thought 'what for?'

It will never get stolen from here and even if it does, that's what insurance is for. :eek:

3. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Its car jacking that's happening that's the concern, one happened around the corner here on Sunday at 4:00pm (inner city area).

Just thought that a convertible, roof down is easy pickings, plus its a 8 month wait on ordering a new Cali T.

Not worried about the car getting stolen from our secure caged garages as we live is a very secure CBD residential complex, its out on the road with the more brazen thieves resorting to car jacking.

Already had one $200k claim a few years back, anymore and insurance companies won't insure you, there happy to take your money but not about giving it back?

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ah, sorry mate. Thought you meant if the car was stolen from your garage.

Always going to be a good thing having the car tracked I guess, but you just know the car will be given a VERY hard time or crashed if it's stolen.

As mentioned, may almost be best off just letting em have it hoping they crash or burn it. And hopefully insurance comes to the party afterwards.

Strange how they would stop insuring you though, even though someone jacked you or stole your car while you were not home etc.

5. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I pick up the new Cali next week, just contemplating want sort of a deal I would get on the insurance premium with or without a Tracker.

Then there's the other factor, a friend of mine had his S Class Merc stolen from a car wash, 6 weeks later they found the Merc, they tried to burn it using diesel but it did not catch fire, it ended up being repaired. Six weeks is a long wait, rather find the car 6 mins later?

6. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    #6 FazzerPorscheman, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Insurance is a risk business. Only problem is the insurer doesn't want the risk. ;)

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Go for it mate and let us know how you fair with your insurance company. Be interesting to see if you score a cheaper rate.

And I am still not 100% convinced a tracker is as good as you think they will be. It all sounds good in theory and it would be very interesting to see where someone would drive your Cali T if it was stolen.

But anything can happen as soon as the car is jacked or stolen from your garage.

6 minutes or 6 weeks.................it only takes seconds to crash the car beyond repair.