Aussie grit | FerrariChat

Aussie grit

Discussion in 'Australia' started by shimi, Oct 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    So I recently bought the book Aussie grit. A autobiography of Mark Webber . I brought it with me while travelling through Europe so I can read it while I'm waiting at the airports.
    Where do I start with this book . I'm halfway reading into it and my eyes are glued to the book . My partner has never seen me focused on reading period. I've learned so much of mark & what's involved in reaching the pinnacle of f1. I've chuckled while reading but up to date he's very matured as a person/driver. He's had a lot of ups & downs in his career which really opened my eyes.
    Can't wait till I jump on the fast train tomorrow to read more of this interesting life of mark Webber. A cool 3 hours of it. Currently leaving Rome to go to Venice then Modena, where I'll reach the gates of heaven..... 'Ferrari factory'

If anyone here has read his book what were your opinions?

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I missed out on his book signing in the city so I never bought it :eek:

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'll just wait until I can dload it in pdf format :)

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Might have to get this as an Xmas gift for myself.

Have fun at the factory mate.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hmmpf, cheap arse! :)

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    That's not true! I'm sure the rest of him is cheap as well.

7. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    It's a great read. My wife gave me a copy for my birthday.

Made me admire Mark's tenacity even more than I did before. You also have to admire his restraint in not sorting Marko out behind the garage!

8. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Agree with what you say, it's a riveting read. I'll never think the same about a #2 again !

9. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    So read the book & mark is definitely a gentleman of the sport. Maybe if he was arrogant, ruthless he might have been titled the number 1 driver. But never the less an interesting book indeed.
    Just finished the Ferrari museums & im come out psyched. Awesome in every way. Especially the engines that are exposed. The 488 with its turbos.........
    Ooohhhh I'm melting. The two museums are a must for any Ferrari fan here in Modena.
    Plenty of pictures taken unfortunately I can't post them here.
    Cheers

10. hatzo

hatzo Karting
    BANNED

Jan 25, 2006
    Did you visit the Enzo Ferrari museum in Modena, just round the corner from the Maserati factory?..

"So choice"

11. shimi

shimi Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2011
    sydney,australia
    Full Name:
    richi
    Yes I did. They had a kind of music in the background of Pavarotti & enzo. The lights were turned down & a screen of them too from the past. A nice touch I say.
    Yeah it's really good getting up close and personal with these super cars every now and then.

12. hatzo

hatzo Karting
    BANNED

Jan 25, 2006

Yes, loved it, had to drag wifey away, turn up for the books!!

Went to Pavarotti's house [not often open] which was great, but they have sold his Maserati that he owned, i asked about it.

Lunch next door, he owned that restaurant too. [handy for him!]

Will post my photos soon, i also went to Enzo Ferrari's grave/mausoleum in Modena, very touching inc. a card somebody left in memory of # 27 G.Villeneuve

Oh and Europecar rental contacted me 2 tickets, 180kmh autostrada, and a red light camera in Naples [Euro 600 fine] i wont pay, what are they going to do, send the mafia?

Wont be going back to Italy now....lol

13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    If you used your credit card (which you would have had to do) they will just deduct the money , happened to me on my last US trip :(

14. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    What he said.

Rental car pid for with credit card, you will be charged and for good measure the rental mob may/will add their own "extras" on.

15. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Moretti is correct. Google "motoring fines in Italy" or "speeding fines in italy in hire car"

I researched this before my trip to Italy last month (I was driving in Maranello, Modena, Sant' Agata Bologense, Bologna and Florence).
    You have to be very careful driving in Italy, there are lots of opportunities for "non locals" to pick up fines from hidden speed cameras, point to point cameras and the ZTL zones in the old cities. In fact I didn't find driving there much fun at all, a lot of traffic on the roads, very expensive or no parking and speed limits are generally lower than in Australia, except on the Autostrada.

M

16. hatzo

hatzo Karting
    BANNED

Jan 25, 2006
    Just as well i cancelled my credit card back on arrival back in Oz then :) [28 degrees mastercard, no silly cross border and bank charges, recommended] being 1 step ahead is the way!

Oh and i had more fun "driving" in Naples then anywhere else, if you have the balls i recommend it, the roads are a bit shocking and i did.nt see one car without a dent on it, never seen anything like it, they love to push on real style/buzz to it, leaves Rome for dead.

Thanks for the heads up guys

CIAO!

17. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah because you did the tourist thing. Sydney isn't any different.

If you want to enjoy driving in Italy try giving the south a go. Some really good roads that feel like mini Stelvio passes or rally stages are in the south of Italy but because they don't really go anywhere "touristy" only locals use them.

Plus you get the added bonus that the police really don't give a toss about speeding in the south as long as you don't do it in towns. My cousins always overtake police cars while doing double the posted limit and never has a copper stopped us for speeding.

:eek:

18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Driving the local Mafia staff car helps :p