458 & similar - some thoughts | FerrariChat

458 & similar - some thoughts

Discussion in 'Australia' started by M900M, May 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M900M

M900M Karting

Mar 16, 2016
    WA / SA
    Full Name:
    Mr Guy
    I was recently offered a 458 coupe at a price below $400k; decent KM, maybe a tad higher than the average for sale right now, and a decently optioned car. 2010 year I think, can't remember. Was offered a $10k discount for a quick purchase if I so decided to go ahead. I didn't as I'm looking for Spider's, not coupes.

Interestingly I inquired about a McLaren MP4-12C Spider that was also available (2013 car, less KM than the 458). I'm not interested in this make but I threw a weak offer to test the waters - dealer entertained the fact that I offered $45,000 under asking price. Shocking! I thought that the depreciation slide on these was over? Does this mean he could go even lower - $60k under asking, or more?

Anyway it got me thinking about the 458 prices. Would the heavy depreciation of other like brands (e.g. McLaren 12C, Lamborghini LP560-4) affect its resale? I could be on the wrong trail with my thinking but if I had $250-290k+/- budget to spend on a coupe and I wanted a 458 but the dealer wouldn't drop below $320-340k on a high mile one (40,000km+), I would seriously consider an LP560-4 (can be had for $250k right now) or a McLaren 12C coupe (saw one sell for $270k, low miles + the Spiders can be had driveaway today for $315-325k). I can't see how the 458 would compete in the resale market unless prices dropped to somewhere similar to the competition. A 12C for $270k is a whole lot of car for a good price (full carbon tub, extremely fast, cool doors etc).

Not sure if I made my point clearly enough. Just thinking aloud. 458 prices seem stable (not a bad thing), but got me thinking nonetheless.

If they remain steady over the next few years and slightly depreciate

know it isn't a Ferrari but I noticed the McLaren MP4-12 Spider's (2013 cars) are dropping heavily again. I thought their depreciation was over? A dealer in Sydney offered me a 458 and wouldn't discount past $10k on it but when I asked about the 12C Spider (a year newer, less KM) he entertained the suggestion of taking $40,000 off if I was to make a quick sale...