Buying a 360 in Oz - Advice | FerrariChat

Buying a 360 in Oz - Advice

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chrispy300, Aug 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrispy300

Chrispy300 Karting

Jul 30, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Paterson
    Well I've been lusting after a 360 since I first read a review in CAR magazine when I was in grade 9. I never expected I would be in a position to actually own one myself. A few years ago I rear ended my heavily modified 300ZX into a wall at Morgan Park (ran out of talent and a very aggressive diff) and I swore off modified Japanese cars… I had the 360 on the shortlist and ended up with a E46 M3 CSL which I thought would be a bit more sensible. That lasted about 18 months before I badly missed having a manual gearbox, the CSL SMG was brutally fast but that wasn’t really the point. Ended up selling it to a mate and buying a supercharged S2 Lotus Exige which has been a blast!

But…

Everytime I see a Ferrari I feel sad. I’m now in a position to do something about it, especially as we are moving into the CBD and my parking spaces is down to 2 I can reduce down to 2 cars from the 3 we have now. So I think the sensible thing to do is keep my partners new X1 and get a 360 hopefully as a forever car!

So anyway – tips on finding a good 360 in Australia? Majority of the advice I’ve seen is for the UK and US. I’m sure there isn’t a whole lot of difference, but a take on the local perspective is always good! I’m generally aware of the major issues – variators, 3 bolt ring gears, heat exchanger, ball joints etc. Anything else that the Australian conditions has on them?

I know that service history is a big thing on Ferraris, but I do see a lot of our overseas friends taking to their cars doing all sorts of things. Being a Mech Engineer I’m not too fussed, but any future buyers could see this as a major negative correct? Is DIY maintenance a common occurrence in Australia? I would be sending it to a independent mechanic for servicing just to be safe. I don’t really feel like paying for a head full of valves if I stuff it…

There seems to be a great deal of imports on carsales as well, any real reason to be keeping away from them provided they pass a PPI and have the relevant history?

And lastly what’s the best way of buying? Using a broker – (I'm a rubbish negotiator)? Just go direct? Would carsales generally have nearly everything that is for sale in the country? I've seen the Lotus guys often advertise and sell on forums prior to advertising to the general public. I've got a bit of time to get sorted, have to move the Exige and finish the house reno's first...

Thanks everyone!

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Well in my highly valued opinion.......................................

I would suggest you find one to drive prior to pulling your wallet out.

They have a bloody awful ride and(I appreciate you're looking at a proper manual)the flappy paddle gear change in 360's and 430's(sorry Gizz),can be rubbish as well.

.02c

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I think he's after a manual, judging by his comments on the SMG. I test drove a 360 F1 and didn't like the F1 at all, but I suppose it might become easier with practice. The Lotus will kill the 360 performance wise, speaking as a Lotus/Ferrari owner, but that's not the point, is it?

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    there are only 3 rules when buying a modern V8 Ferrari in Australia.

1. must be Aussie delivery
    2. must be Aussie delivery
    3. must be Aussie delivery

Buy a UK car to save some money, but be prepared for a very long wait when it comes time to sell it. If you do buy UK, check extremely carefully for corrosion. Suspension components are very susceptible.

Speak to the previous owner(s) before you hand your money over, some cars have had big accidents.

If you can stretch to a 430, you'll get a much improved car. Manual is ideal but flappy paddles are fine once you get used to them. I would buy a perfect F1 car over an imperfect manual.

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    History is important but NOW is vital.

I don't know what Simon means about the ride....they're excellent. Anyway...try for yourself.

Again, nothing is more important than the condition it is TODAY, and that could be better on a car with incomplete but recent history. Good luck! It's hard finding good cars.

6. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    After spending 6 days at,sometimes,warp speed in the 308,then going for a ride in Gizz's 430...the ride is totally different,mind you,the jerky flappy gearshifts didn't help.

My experience in the 360 was a ride back from Qld raceway,on the '09 FNR,in a 360 convertible,that the owner was still trying to get to grips with..again...with the flappy shift.
    Perhaps it's THAT that gives the impression of a crap ride.

I know I'd never go there.

7. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My local dealer told me he can assist in Sourcing, PPI, Financing, Insurance, Interstate transport even Negotiating the purchase. Obviously there will be a fee, but he is acting as a broker for you so it's an option.
    He had a couple of clients he was keen to move into 458's at the time so their F430's weren't actually on the market but if he had a potential buyer (maybe me) everyone would win. He negotiates both my car and the current owner trading up.
    He also noted that if I go through them there are then invites to launches, track days (which are only for their clients) and advanced driving courses. All good stuff I think and it creates a community feel around the ownership.
    I've worked on many types of cars imported from the UK and corrosion is definitely something to beware, but to me unless you live in Italy your Ferrari IS an import!
    We also have a company over here called Fabcar and they will find you a car or source to your spec, then show you what they have found, if you like it you pay a deposit and they bring it in (usually from the UK) and comply it for you. I'm not connected to these guys at all but I've been to their place and thought about the pros and cons myself.

8. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The most important update to any 360 F1 is to have the CS TCU installed.

It sorts out the jerky shifting especially if running earlier versions.

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #9 SPEEDCORE, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cars are also offered between Ferrari club members.

Carsales is probably the most popular site. You could also try the luxury auctions that happen every few months like Shannons etc.

Like this one :eek:

Do you think if they peeled off the fake carbon the car would go up in value? :eek:
    2000 Ferrari 360 Modena F1 Auto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    The OP has indicated that he is looking for a manual gearbox car.

Sorry to introduce the flappy thing...it was only my experience at the thing,that may have influenced my remarks.

Any other remarks,from now on, should probably only be in relation to the manual version.

11. Chrispy300

Chrispy300 Karting

Jul 30, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Paterson
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Correct - I wouldn't have anything other than a manual 360.

I could probably stretch to a 430, but the f1 does put me off a bit.

I can't see the ride being worse than the exige, that is bone jarring until you load it up.

Completely agree with the owners of the modified cars not doing themselves many favours... That twin turbo yellow monstrosity for sale at the moment will be around for a while I think.

Does anyone know the story with the silver manual import for around $120k? It's been for sale for well over a year now... I'm not tempted, but I am interested in why it's been around for so long

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Because it's an import. :eek::eek:

13. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

And because it's too expensive. 360 owners can dream all they like but $120k is what you will pay for an Aussie car. Go and see all the Aussie manual cars for sale and start making offers.

14. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There arn't any, and haven't been for a very very long time.

You can start at $200k.

15. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Uhuh

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Your 360 Aussie delivered?

17. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Dam right

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very good! It's a great looking car man. :)

19. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I always figured when I finally got the car I wanted (at the time was a 360) I would keep it forever so a UK car would be worth looking at. There definately is a stigma around cars that were NOT Aussie delivered. I don't know if it's deserved but it is real and when you are trying to resell it seems to hurt the vendor.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    100%

21. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    I purchased a 99 360 Uk import in January of this year. Car is in great condition and passed a PPI with flying colours. Original aus owner imported it back in 07.

I don't know what the issue with imports are, as long as the history is well documented and passes all inspections

I viewed many 360's whilst looking to purchase and condition varied greatly. There a Aussie delivered garbage as well. Remember you get what you pay for.

I have been offered $130k to part with my car which I declined. It is also insured with Shannon's for $130k until they inspect and are more than happy to insure it for more once they see the condition.

For people saying you can get an Aussie delivered car for $120k good luck, I think your dreaming.

Regardless they are great cars and if you get a good one you will love it.

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You'll find out when you go to sell it.

Very true.

Correct

23. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That was just teasing one of the members on here ;)

24. Chrispy300

Chrispy300 Karting

Jul 30, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris Paterson
    If a decent aus delivered manual is $200k+ then I would have to be looking at the imports... Personally they don't bother me much, I've had a few Japanese imports and my CSL was originally a NZ delivered car. A car's a car and at least these are all built in the same place.

What's the best way of checking if its a Aus car? Looking at photos I'm normally looking out for the climate control dial being in Fahrenheit. Anything else stand out? Is there a different VIN code?

I know it's a bit hard to put a figure on - but does everyone think is a fair price for a manual UK import with good history in good condition with moderate k's (30-40K)? Something like this:

2002 Ferrari 360 Modena Manual

I've seen the US guys don't like the red carpets much. Does paint and trim colour effect pricing much? Or more of leather condition and daytona/sports seat options?

Thanks again!

25. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    200k+ is 430 money, don't believe the BS on here

Aussie cars will have a "D" in the VIN whereas UK cars have a "C"

Offer that particular 360 $110k and work from there