First World Problems | FerrariChat

First World Problems

Discussion in 'Australia' started by moretti, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    1. My Ferrari can't be serviced for over two weeks :(
    2. Business class ran out of champagne :eek:
    3. The A/C broke down in my limo from the airport :p

Life is a disaster :D

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sounds like you have the good life! :D

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Just having a laugh mate :)

I was biatching today when I was fitting the racing seat to the 355 and I suddenly realised life is funny, that I WAS whinging about fitting the seat :p

4. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    1. That poor car
    2. What kind of poof drinks champagne?
    3. Wind down the window you lazy bastard!

Problems sorted. :p

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Moretti, your either a gluten for punishment or into self-flagellation..

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, all good mate. Hope all has been well with you and the family. :)

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Judging by the way you drive, you should call it the uncomfortable seat, rather than the racing seat.

8. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looking on the bright side, at least you don't have an S7 and therefore haven't blown up.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's a note 7, dummy

10. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Noted

11. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I had an interesting experience today, that helps to explain why the USA has a massive govt debt problem.

The collar of my blazer came apart yesterday, bloody Italian rubbish, it was only 15 years old and I've worn it constantly. So today I went to Nordstrom and bought another one, asking the shop assistant to throw the old one out for me.

"Don't do that", she said, "take it to the Salvation Army and they'll give you a tax deduction voucher for $500". I said, you can't be serious, it's falling apart. But I was intrigued, so walked the 3 blocks to the Salvo centre and presented my jacket at the counter, making sure I pointed out the wear on it. Sure enough, she looked up the new value, then wrote me out a $500 voucher, which I'll give to one of my staff here, as I'm not a US tax payer.

The average professional person here pays around 40% tax. So the US Govt in effect just paid $200 for my piece-of-junk jacket. In any other country, you donate clothing, here the government pays you to do it. Another big win for the left :rolleyes:

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    #12 kerrari, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Win for the left? Seems like another great tax scam for the rich from where I'm sitting. Wonder if DT has a dedicated staff member to trade in his used jackets?
    iRS tables for 2016 tell me a single person with a taxable income of $91,150 would pay just over $18,558 (20.35%) federal taxes.

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    *shakes head*

The charity I'm involved with in Aus has a chain of Op Shops. We take donated clothes and resell them, what we can't sell gets packaged up as rags and sold to China. The profits from all of this are part of our income. We struggle to make 10% profit, even with volunteer labour. We have to rent a warehouse, shops, pay insurances, etc, etc.

I'm guessing that at some point in the past, such charities in California (don't know if this thing applies in all states) suffered from a lack of supply, so they lobbied the govt to provide an incentive for donations, the argument would have been "you give a 100% deduction for money, you should give a 25% deduction for used clothes".

The immense stupidity of this is that the 10% margin the charity makes is less than the cost to the taxpayer. The US govt would be better off simply giving cash to the Salvos.

Centre-left govts everywhere implement ideas like this, with good intentions of course, but it's almost always a bad value outcome for the taxpayer and, because of the ever-ready-for-a-sensation media, nobody would be brave enough to try and shut it down.

14. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Surely this cannot be true?

I'm sitting on a fortune in my wardrobe. :)

My old clothes go to my rag bin for use on the cars. If not suitable, they go to the Blind Society. I should put some of my old clothes on eBay and post to California.

15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    fixed, only blind people would wear Porsche t-shirts :)

16. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Troublemaker. ;)

17. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

You must have big cars.

18. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    LOL. :) FO x 987,952,997

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's terrible....but well, yeah

20. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Interesting hypothesis, but do you even know which government implemented this cockamamie idea? As you say, little benefit to the charity, big benefit to some non-needy folk.
    I was a volunteer for Lifeline shop and best earner was in fact 100% cotton rags; teams of ladies would cut off all buttons, zips, seams from discarded clothes etc to make soft cotton rag which were sold by the bag to tradies.

21. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
  22. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Yep, just like our tax code, it's a catalogue of nonsense piled on nonsense over many years.

Not a right wing conspiracy, just the end result of generations of politicians and bureaucrats thinking that more regulations will make the world better.

I've just been staying in an apartment in the Mission district of SF. Must be thousands of black men living on the streets, in filth and squalor. This is what they get, generations after President Johnson's "great society" in 1964. But "minority" america still votes democrat...

23. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Your experience with the jacket doesn't gel with anything in the IRS code (where you can only claim FMV, which they seem to assess based on Goodwill's listed prices; unless the value is over $500 and it's independently appraised); is this some local or state initiative you've stumbled into? Hard to pin anything on a particular party in the U.S. when the leadership, congress, and senate are so rarely aligned. Maybe that explains more about the disfunction than any ideological triumph by either side?

24. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Sorry, I really can't be bothered arguing with you. Please put me on ignore.

25. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OLIO