360 or 430 V Gallardos | FerrariChat

360 or 430 V Gallardos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by au-yt, Oct 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #1 au-yt, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    A question if I may, who of the 360 or 430 owners considered a Lambo eg a Gallardo
    what were your pros and cons of the decision?

2. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    +1 on a SuperLeggera S1 or S2.

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    interesting thread topic Graeme.

My observation over the years has been that there is plenty of crossover between Maser and Ferrari ownership, but it's rare for Lambos.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It's a religion thing: Microsoft/Apple/Android, Ford/Holden, NRL/AFL, etc

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Ian I agree an old Italian used say Italian Gentlemen Drive Maserati's not the up start Ferrari

Time has altered that now as most of the old Italians have gone to the race circuit in the sky.

Lamborghini's were owned by very recursive people who didn't take them out much as they didn't want people to know they had them, so lots of them languished or caught fire in the early Miura's case. I have emense admistaion for the 20/25year old's that designed and built the Miura.

Time and German influencnce have assisted but not hindered new Lamborghinis.

What is also interesting is Lamborghini now unlike Ferrari make public knowledge problems and recalls with instructions on how to sort the problem.
    Have a look at this list just for the Gallardo
    http://www.**********************/vbforum/f47/lamborghini-gallardo-all-service-recall-campaigns-166266/

Makes me think they are far more customer focused now.

6. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I do like the Uber aggressive look of the current generation of Lambos. And the reliability of their engines seems to be very good. You often see Gallardo's with klms in the 100k plus, and buyers don't seem to shy away from them. Show them a Ferrari with much more than delivery klms, and they are convinced it's ready for the wreckers. In the end, I think Pat has it spot on. It's a religion thing. It's like being married. If you love them, you'll look admiringly at other models, and think about what it would be like to be inside, but 'cheating' on your Ferrari just isn't in your nature.

7. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Right!! 😆

So Jodi reads your Posts? ;)

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I leave the last post well alone!

The other thing with current crop of Small lambos is unlike ferrari where the main trick bits are are carbon panels, The Lambo fraternity there are hotroders like lots of Porsche's with a lot of aftermarket parts how about 750HP supercharged cars check the video in the link
    VF Engineering Supercharger Systems for Audi, BMW, Lamborghini, Porsche, Sypker, VW | VF Engineering
    Twin Turbo these guys do 458s as well
    Twin Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo Performance - Underground Racing

9. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I think that's a very generous explanation. A more accurate statement is that they didn't take them out much because they so often broke down. There are abundant horror stories and if you've ever been involved in getting the motor out of a Miura or Countach (I've done one of each) believe me you never want to go anywhere near it again. For the Miura, you have to roll the motor over the roof as it comes up, while you pray that the hoist straps don't slip. The 'tach is a car designed by back doctors - to ensure them a continuous supply of patients, be they drivers or mechanics.

The running gear of pre-VW Lambos simply wasn't as well engineered as Ferrari, who benefited from the outset from a motorsport focus, particularly endurance racing. Bob Wallace urged Ferruccio to go racing, because he knew the benefits it would bring.

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah... Um, maybe Gezim should have a word to the mods and... edit that one.

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Again you right...did I say that..I was being generous, I only ever heard horror stories about the cars and the service people at the time in Hornsby were well known.

Early cars were designed by engineers who forgot the most important aspect, make it so you can work on it.

Off The current series of cars the Gallardo to change the clutch, an early problem, you actually remove the gearbox from through the rear after you remove the rear body work, Funny thing is to change the engine oil, needs removal of two undertrays and 7 drain plugs!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNugsLfAJEE

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    One thing I forgot to mention is that if you've ever seen a bare Countach chassis, it is a thing of beauty, designed for stiffness and perfectly welded. I can't think of a better supercar frame of the period, unless you consider the Ford/Lola GT40 with it's steel monocoque tub, which was years ahead of anything from Italy: lighter, stiffer, safer.

Bill Young, owner of GT Car Parts, has got a new 'tach chassis hung on his wall as an artwork - I like his style :)

13. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #13 au-yt, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #14 au-yt, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  16. ihavearedferrari

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
  17. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The responses on the Lambo Talk form mention the Lambo having better quality build and reliability, and the dealers are much better to deal with.
    The 430 is the main competitor having sharper handeling but comments about poor quality and being too common!

18. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    This has been an interesting exercise, lots of Lambo guys going from Ferrari's to Lambo,
    Citing wild styling, build quality, reliability and V10 noise. Twin Turbos are not uncommon or supercharging. They aren't as concerned about originality, and love lots of noise at least that's common.
    What's interesting there is a preference for the Gallardo over the V12 Lambo.

19. ihavearedferrari

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Any aussie lambo forums you know of or recommend? there is a black SL on carsales that is giving me an annoying itch and tingle at the same time. Would like to dig up more info on it and on SL in general.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    This SL
    http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lamborghini-Gallardo-2008/SSE-AD-4272760/?Cr=22

Fchat is unique in that it has specific country areas most others dont however Aussie Exotics isn't bad but infrequent posts, to be honest I have found the
    http://www.**********************/
    to be the most active.
    you can see just how many people are are on each model
    http://www.**********************/vbforum/f2/

21. ihavearedferrari

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thats the one. I suppose you mean lambo talk and lambo power?

22. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    LamboTalk is the one I was referring to