Used Car Dealer Headaches | FerrariChat

Used Car Dealer Headaches

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jkay, Feb 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    As some of you may know, I bought a used Ferrari from an independant dealer a month ago more or less (not Ferrari Dealer)

Car had 10 year old tyres, and they promised as part of the deal they would change the tyres for me. I took their word for it.

After the sale took place, I constantly had to chase up the tyres (they never once initiated contact)

I was repeatedly promised next week, in ten days, in a few days etc, but everytime the day came, I would hear nothing. A simple phone call or email/text to update me saying the stock hadn't arrived wouldn't have been hard, and would probably have saved me form getting annoyed.

Last reason I was told is that the tyres are on order and coming in the next shipment. Funny thing is, every tire place I asked had them in stock (or could get them the very next day from the warehouse). These were the proper F rated tyres too.

Salesman from dealer kept saying he's just passing on what he's been told so its not his fault as he can't control suppliers and the lack of stock, but the lack of updates/communication there was no excuse for.

I was extremely patient and friendly up to a point, but then got rather annoyed and made this known. Dealer then finally agreed today to let me have them fitted at their cost with a tyre vendor of choice, only AFTER I'd thrown a hissy fit. I had to make them confirm this in writing (again I had to coordinate this between dealer and tyre people) , who will invoice the dealer direct.

I haven't driven the car properly yet since buying it 3-4 weeks ago because of the 10 year old tyres, so look forward to actually driving my new car after Ive broken the new rubber in.

Whats happened to the days where you could just shake on something and have a gentleman's (or lady's) agreement and it be left at that instead of having to chuck your toys out of the pram
    To get what you've been promised

2. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

It's no fun when what should be a very enjoyable experience turns out to be not so pleasant.

However, once you are on the road, a few redlines and all will be forgotten. :)

Right choice not to drive until those tyres are replaced though.

My most recent purchase was from a Licensed Second Hand Motor Dealer, and I have nothing but the highest praise.

I shouldn't say anymore, as he has been known to lurk on here from time to time and is a known troublemaker. ;)

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry to hear that, Julian. At least you got them to sort it out in the end.
    Let us know how it drives with the fresh rubber.

The dealer who sold me my car couldn't have been more helpful.
    The preparation of the car was absolutely first class, without even a handshake...

(Just saying)
    :D :p

4. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Maybe they were just having a bad day, but can't wait to get this sorted !

Glad you lot haven't had as much hassle as I have lol

5. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wood duck.

6. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Was it listed on the sales contract? If not, they're just having a go at jerking you around, hoping you'll get sick of it all and go away. Check the date code on the tyres before you drive away, they will be looking for the cheapest way out and may source cheap new but old tyres. Had this happen to me, tyres put on by a used car dealer and told were new which technically they were but also 6 years old and rock hard

7. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    I actually happened to talk to someone on the inside and it appears the tyres they were trying to get for me were really cheap (half the price of any I could find) so I contacted dealer and said to ensure they're the proper rated Tyres

It wasn't on the contract, my mistake for not getting it on there

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What's wrong with driving on 10+ year old tyres? :eek::eek:

9. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Nothing. Till you go **** up. :)

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    But of course. :D

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Funny. Not the issue specifically, but more generally.

You could post this thread in any of the forums here and get hundreds of replies with similar tales of woe.

Interesting that one universal truth is that there are a lot of ****ty used car sales companies out there, ALL OVER THE WORLD.

glad you got it sorted out.

D

12. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience Jordan. You would think that these idiots would work out the world is pretty small with these types of cars and word gets around pretty quickly. I would never buy again from the Sydney dealer that I bought my C63 amg off. Hopefully the next recession will clean all of these dead sh### s out.

13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Sorted..

14. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    Glad its sorted, nearly, but got to ask, WHO is the dealer, name and shame

Cheers

15. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think the dealers name is in the original thread when he was buying the car.

16. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sydney City Prestige.

17. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    They have some nice stock but if you ever choose to buy a car from them, make sure everything is done BEFORE you complete the sale.

In their defence, I was never ignored. Everytime I complained, they'd get back to me right away, but when they got back to me it was always "oh now it's gonna be yet another few days" to which I'd respond "I can get them Tomorrow from Various suppliers around Sydney"'

18. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    They have put everything right now, and Ive put it down to some miscommunication, and tyres are scheduled to be done in a few days

As I said, even though I never got tyres, they never once ignored me, and aways got back to me when I got in touch with them

19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Good news, recommend you get a good alignment done, front and rear.

20. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Cheers Ian. Had the tyres changed at FMS so I'm assuming they should have done the alignment properly :) . Would you recommend another alignment elsewhere ?

Haven't driven much since getting the new Tyres due to work (from FMS - home, all of 5 minutes)

21. ihavearedferrari

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    They wouldn't have done it for the sake of it unless you requested it and then paid for it. Go to Heasemans and they can set up the alignment with more aggressive specs (if you want).

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    When the Ferrari dealer up here did an alignment on my QV some years back they asked me how much I weighed (how rude I thought :mad:) but they needed that information to put that weight in the driver's seat so they could align it with driver on board .... made sense and just wondering if other Ferrari dealerships do it as well.

They charged $195 for the alignment and it was just as good as our Carl does in Melbourne :)

Mind you, they wanted a LOT more until I told them Zagames does it for that price and they agreed to match Zagames fee AFTER they rang them

23. ihavearedferrari

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It is amazing what that man can do with a shoelace.

24. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    FMS never actually asked me how much I weighed lol. I also never saw the invoice and what was done as that was sent straight to the selling dealer.

My car is actually going into Heasmans tho in the near future for something else, which will include a full wheel alignment.

Feels way better having new (4716) Tyres on as opposed to the 2007 ones

25. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    FMS did the alignment on my 575 earlier this year, about $700 so they would not have checked yours unless specifically asked