credit card question while in Australia | FerrariChat

credit card question while in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Alcav5, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Hi friends,

My 15 yr old son is in Australia on a school band trip and I gave him a Visa credit card for incidental purchases. He just called me and told me a merchant declined the card. So I called the card provider and they told me that they did not decline the purchase and it doesn't even show up in their system. The person explained to me that some countries' credit card transactions are chip & PIN as opposed to chip & signature that we are used to in the states here. They told me to tell him to see if he can bypass the PIN requirement. If he cannot he needs to tell the merchant that his card is a chip & signature and to redo the transaction.

Can anyone shed light on this? Of the few times I've been over sees this was never an issue.

Thanks for your help.

Al

2. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    We have tap and pay for under AUS$100 and PIN for over AUS$100 credit card purchases, you don't sign anymore.

Did you give him a pre-paid card by any chance, they never seem to work.

As a temp. why not put cash into this bank account and let him withdraw it at ATM machines or purchase ATM;s, not perfect, but better than being o/s with no $$

Banks are C%%TS, signed, me.

3. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hi Al I use my international card all the time when I am in Australia. Tell your son to let them know that the pin ONLY applies to Australian Credit Cards. International credit cards are still chip and sign and it's written in black and white. I suspect whoever he is dealing with A. Doesn't know the rules and B. Is just used to dealing with Australian credit cards. Hope this helps.

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    It was for food, a small amount but he did not tell me how much.
    It is a true Visa credit card, not pre-paid.
    He's only there 10 days so it's not in the cards to get him an ATM card. He does have some US cash. Worst case if needed, I guess, I wire money to him.

Much of trip is already paid for , the card it was for souvenirs and emergencies.

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ahh, this makes sense. He did say the merchant seemed not knowledgeable.

I will tell him.
    Thanks.

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    It's also frustrating from our point of view. Many US payment options (e.g. gas stations, Subways) require the ZIP (postcode) to entered, which is 5 digits.

Australian zip codes are 4 digits, so our cards don't work in your payment machines.

7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Hmm, sorry about that, lol. What about entering a zero first?

Anyway, son just got back to us and he was able to use the card at another merchant.

Thanks friends!

8. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Al if your son is in Sydney and he gets stuck,just pm me and l can try and help him..
    As a father l know l would be at my wits end if my son was travelling alone overseas..
    Hope he enjoys his experience over here.

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks Maurice,
    I would do the same for you and any of the Fchat friends.

He is in Melbourne now and they are going to Sydney Monday. They will be playing concert at Fort St High School with their orchestra band.

Cheers.

Al

10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Ooooh Fort High :eek:

He can check out the Lambo dealer across the road LOL :D

11. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

My old school, very fond memories :) School motto is my signature below ;)

12. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Al
    I take overseas credit card in my business and should not cause any issue here, should still work I have American clients and they use USA credit card and signature, not a problem.
    Michael