F355 (5.2) Temperature ECU Wiring | FerrariChat

F355 (5.2) Temperature ECU Wiring

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Qavion, May 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Folks, I was trying to figure out the wiring in my F355 (5.2) instrument binnacle recently and found a very dodgy, if not criminal, wiring modification which prevented my Check Engine light and possibly the Slow Down light from illuminating (except when you turn the ignition key to ON, prior to starting the engine). I've had the car for just over two years and I was surprised I hadn't seen at least one of these... Now I know why. Shortly afterwards, I discovered extenders on my catalytic converter O2 sensors, suggesting the original primary cats have been gutted. Now I know why my exhaust was making my eyes water.

I must admit, I didn't fully understand the exhaust system on the F355 prior to purchase.
    Anyway, I started to think about getting new cats or getting the old ones recored, but suddenly things got a lot more complicated. I found that there was no plug or wiring harness attached to one of the temperature ECUs on the right side of the engine bay. My local Ferrari guy said that Aussie cars should have three, one for each cat and one for the exhaust bypass. It seems I have wiring for the left cat and and wiring for the exhaust bypass temperature system, but no right hand cat wiring (i.e. from the temperature ECU to the engine ECU). I also have an open circuit between the left cat temperature ECU and the engine ECU.

Would anyone know where the wiring coming from the right cat temperature ECU goes into the harnesses in the engine bay? I have three harnesses going into one in that area, then disappearing above the wheel arch. I'm wondering if I should have four? If I can figure out where the harness has been cut off, I can probably fabricate a new section of harness and splice it back on.

Thanks,
    Cheers
    Ian.

2. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    See if you can get hold of a wiring diagram , ricambi might have an electronic copy of the workshop manual.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, 575, but the 355 worshop manual/wiring manual doesn't go into the detail I require (i.e. the routing of individual harnesses). I believe later model car wiring diagrams do this.

Actually, I've already redrawn every wiring diagram in the 2.7 manual to make them a little more user-friendly and I'm currently modifying the diagrams to suit the 5.2.

Cheers

4. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That sucks, Ian. Do you know the maintenance history of the car enough to know who may have done that?

To be honest that is one of the reasons why I'd steer clear of any owner maintained car (dodgy home made "fixes" etc).

5. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon

Why is everyone picking on moretti tonight????

6. 575

575 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2009
    He inherited his problems.

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 moretti, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    I do it first and then Marc has to do it ............... properly :eek:

Just called him to put the new undertray on the 355 but bloody racing at PI has intervened :mad:

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The car has had 6 previous owners, Steve. However, the guy before me did a lot of his own work, including engine outs, so surely he must have been aware of this problem. Someone was... I found pen marks on the Engine ECU plug corresponding to the temperature ECUs. He stopped answering my emails... probably because I kept telling him about all the problems I was having with the car... now approaching 30 in total, almost all missed on the PPI.... and now fixed (properly)... but the problems are getting bigger...

Anyway, it looks like someone on the 355/348 Forum has answered my question ... so some progress made :D

Cheers,
    Ian.

9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good to hear. Lots of great advice on that forum. After months of stuffing around with my gearchange issue it was a suggestion from one of those guys that helped solve the problem.

Good luck!

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A PPI with an appropriate scan tool would have shown up fault codes. Who did the PPI ?
    I wouldn't necessarily assume this was the handiwork of the previous owner, I have seen shocking work performed by so called professionals with the owner unaware of how poorly the work was done.

M

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh please don't go down THAT path :eek:

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    "Ferrari Maserati Service" at Artarmon.

I eventually figured out what the problem was with the help of FerrariChat.... The wrong harness has been fitted. It never had harness branches for 3 TCU's in the first place. It looks like one of the previous owners had modified a European harness to make the exhaust bypass TCU work (rewired to fit the pins on the ECU). The left cat TCU wiring was open circuit, the other has a strange resistance in it I can't explain (maybe they've added a resistor in an attempt to fool the Engine ECU).

I'm guessing it's an engine out job. Anyway, I've ordered a new one from Eurospares.

Here's a list of some of the problems I found with the car (very few picked up on the PPI)...

Broken recirc flap
    Leaking brake/clutch reservoir (car off the road for 3 months while waiting for a new one)
    Seat belt warning not working (wires detached and plug missing under driver's seat)
    Hazard Button not illuminating during operation (diode burnt out)
    Loose earth wire causing rapid flashing of turn indicator lights and other tail lights to flash when the engine warmed up (pulled the car to pieces trying to figure out what was wrong). Also found a cracked light connector during faultfinding.
    Console switches plugged into wrong sockets (e.g. rear fog operated the door lock)
    Broken stud on oil pressure sender (wire held on with self tapping screw)
    Suspension light coming on (found suspension actuator drive wheel superglued together.. ...poorly). Also found another suspension actuator with cracked and reglued internals.
    Cracked luggage compartment liners (in about 14 places on one piece alone). One piece was butchered to make an oversized CD changer fit. I think I found the last luggage compartment liners on the planet (judging by the dust on the new ones).
    Battery disconnect cover missing
    Luggage compartment gas struts not working
    Wiring harnesses poorly secured in passenger footwell and console area (all the cloth tapes had become unglued)
    And lastly.... a biggie... bits of gear teeth found on the magnetic plug on my first oil change (I'm pretty sure my gear changes aren't that bad).

It's certainly keeping me busy... and poor.... It will never be concourse... but I'm on the right track... ;)

Cheers (and thanks)

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Ian,
    The PPI should have picked up the butchered exhaust TCU wiring. The a/c flap is a common failure too.
    Some of the other things you listed would have been obvious when you inspected the car - ie Battery Disconnect cover missing, luggage compartment gas struts not working and presumably the price you paid for the car would have reflected that.

Unfortunately, it is not unusual to come across shoddy repairs in Ferraris, ie the glued suspension actuator gears. It's impossible to tell whether that was because the owner did not want to pay to have it fixed properly or ignorance on the behalf of the repairer in knowing where to source the correct parts.

You're fortunate that you can track down and fix the faults yourself, imagine the cost of having to pay someone to do it.

M

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I hadn't really done much research. It was cheaper than others I'd seen, but I assumed the lower price was because it had 62K on the clock, private seller and the roof canvas would need replacing at some point. The mechanic/engineer at Atarmon knew the owner and even assisted in his home engine-out services. The mechanic was very impressed with his work. The car presented very well on the surface (including the engine bay which was immaculate... at least to my eyes).

Skills honed on owning a Lotus for 16 years :D After spending $10,000/year on maintaining that in the first few years, I had to invest in some tools and manuals... and thank god for forums!

Cheers
    Ian

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You Lotus guys really are masochists :)

Aren't you an avionics LAME for QANTAS ?

16. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Ian
    A PPI with a potential conflict of interest? I've never heard of that before...

At least you are getting to know your car inside out, you're not alone, I've had similar experiences with 3 of my Ferrari purchases.

Some highlights:
    4 different type of spark plugs fitted to the same engine.
    Rotor button repaired with glue
    Relays left over from an alarm installation that caused the headlights to turn off when you moved the indicator to the high beam position
    Incorrect tubing between brake fluid cylinder and master cylinder leading to fluid leaks
    Incorrect bolts, loose bolts, missing bolts and washers, wheel bolts too short, stripped threads.
    Brake rotors machined too thin ( below legal limit )

M

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Jeez... too many safety issues on that list. With the Lotus, it was hard to find a mechanic who knew enough about the car without doing more harm than good... even the club-recommended ones. I thought Ferrari would be better, but....

I really wouldn't go as far as saying that. I really don't know how well he knew the owner.. and I can't even be sure that the guy before me knew all that was wrong with his car, but he certainly picked a good time to sell it. If he did know, karma caught up with him... His replacement car's engine blew up after a few weeks of ownership (BMW M5)

In the dim, dark past, yes ;) You could even say the Ferrari was a retirement gift from Qantas. I just wish I still had access to some of their diagnostic equipment... It would have been helpful in faultfinding.

Cheers, and thanks for the moral/technical support :D

Ian