Shared brake and clutch fluid reservoir. | FerrariChat

Shared brake and clutch fluid reservoir.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Il cavalino, May 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il cavalino

Il cavalino Rookie

May 27, 2017
    Perth, Western Australia
    Full Name:
    Marc Presenza
    Hi Guy's, I'm new to Ferrarichat. So I'm not sure what I'm actually doing here, but here goes. I have a 1985 Mondial QV and the brake and clutch reservoir is shared. I recently replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes successfully, however, the old clutch fluid is still in the other half of the reservoir and I can't workout how to remove it, so I can replace it and bleed the clutch system. Q- If anyone knows how this is done, or can shed some light on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated ? Thanks ! Marc

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Had this happen on another car,I used a large syringe with a small diameter plastic hose on the end of it to suck the old fluid out,
    Not sure if this is possible on the Mondial reservoir..

3. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Can you simply bleed it out of the slave until its just empty in the resivior, fluid would still be in the feed pipe to the master cylinder, then refill it with fresh fluid and continue bleeding until you have clean fluid at the slave bleeder.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    +1, and don't spill a drop on the paint!

5. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
  6. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Thanks for the link Ian.

As for sucking it out is the way to go, pumping it through just pushes the rubbish built up in the reservoir through the master and slave and it gets stuck in the check valves in the master cylinder.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    a handheld vacuum pump that generates a lot of vacuum but with plenty of control - you can empty a fluid reservoir without getting the level too low and introducing air. Refill the reservoir with new fluid, attach the pump to bleed nipple on each caliper and pull the new fluid through. Quick and easy.

I used to use an oil/brake fluid extractor hooked up to a compressor but they're all or nothing in terms of suction. Easy to spill fluid to.

I did the 575's brakes recently with the handheld, about 20 minutes for a complete fluid change and the pedal's never been firmer. Cars that aren't used much should have fluid changed annually. I do the Indy car every race meeting.

Top tip - refill the reservoir with a different coloured brake fluid, then you can see when the new fluid comes through at the caliper.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks....I've used the compressor driven one too, but they're not great. I'll get one of these.

10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    another great idea someone put me on to, is buying surgical tube from a pharmacy, rather than the cheap nylon hose we've always used. The soft surgical hose goes on the nipple easier and the seal is airtight.

Also, before you start, take the bleed nipple out completely and wrap a couple of turns of thread tape on it, then refit but not tight. The tape will stop air getting past when you crack the nipple to bleed, also eliminate any leaks when you tighten it.

If you have aluminium calipers, this is a must-do to prevent electrolytic corrosion between the caliper and nipple.

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T

I have one of those,well a similar looking tool,
    Worth it's weight in gold as my wife got sick of helping me pump the brake pedal..

Very good tip using different coloured brake fluid.