308 GTB # 21027 | FerrariChat

308 GTB # 21027

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 360C, May 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 360C, May 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the interests of posting something other than yet another ENZO/F40/MICHELOTTO thread, I thought I would post a few picks of my 1977 308 GTB - Click elsewhere if 308's don't interest you !

In preparation for a visit to Ferrarifixers landlord this week, I gave the old girl a quick wash today. She scrubs up pretty well for a 28yr old.....

# 21027 was built in October 1977 and was the Melbourne Motorshow car in
    1978 along with the rainbow show car. I have a photo........somewhere!

# My Father purchased her in April 1978, after seeing 21027 at the show and proclaiming "who would buy a Green Ferrari? " He decided he liked the colour after all when he discovered a Red one wouldn't be available until the next shipment in October at $47,000 instead of $42,000 for the Pino Verdi car he saw at the show. The "older" members would remember rampant double figure inflation in the 70's.... Whitlam was a legend wasn't he?

# 21027 was used as a daily driver for a couple of years, before being relegated to weekend use.

# I bought her from my Father in 1986 after graduating from Uni (He traded up to a 275 GTB/4). I borrowed the whole $45k purchase price, effectively trading the next 3 years after tax income. Kind of the equivalent of buying a second hand 360 fresh out of Uni today I guess. Not that smart; but a LOT of fun!

# Fast forward to 1989 and a blown water pump ended up as a full on
    10 year restoration, finishing in 1999. The 308 has had a long and successful concour history, both before and after the big restoration.

# 21027 doesn't get out much anymore, so I thought I would post a few pics.
    If you have seen a well abused 28yr old 308, I guess this is waht it looked like before the long string of uncaring owners and inept mechanics :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Looking good......I have never seen one in that colour before - I like it :)
    I have always liked 308's (and 328's), just such a beautiful shape that never seems to get old in my opinion ;)
    I like the fact you got it after leaving uni, I might have to give that a try next year with a 360....or not! :(

3. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 360C, May 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These were taken when the car was about 4 weeks old:

Note for FERRARIFIXER- See Phil, I told you she never had a firing order plaque on the airbox- despite having the holes where it would have been placed!

Keen eyes would see that she no longer has the smog gear, and the Coil boots fell victim to a careless mechanic some time in the last 28yrs...

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yes, Pino Verdi metallic is a very uncommon colour. There was another Pino Verdi fibreglass car delivered in Adelaide. Predictably it was later repainted
    re-sale red.
    When I restored 21027, there was never a thought of painting her any other colour. The photo's don't show the colour up too well, it looks wonderful in good light.
    There is a Pino Verdi 308 GTSi advertised in Unique cars at the moment. Unfortunately someone has fitted a really awful body kit. Shame.....

I wouldn't recommend buying a 360 straight out of Uni. It's a different economy today. I was offered $200k for 21027 back in the crazy Ferrari market of the late 80's. If I was smart, I would have taken it; but I don't regret turning it down for a second.

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wow...a green 308GTB...geez...like we don't see THOSE everywhere!!

Hey...it looks like it used to sit a bit lower than it does now. Does it, or is it just an illusion?

What's up with the air box? Looks all poxy.

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I haven't scrubbed up a 28yo for a while now, but I reckon most would scrub up pretty well. God i'm funny...and so is Mike

7. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Are they green before or after you've scrubbed them up? :D

8. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    well hello there, and yes i do, thank you. :)

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    She's a peach Scott, you must be proud. I wish my dad had kept his ex Mike Hawthorn Jag he had.....

Anyway..... while we're being presented a car like this for judging.....

Why is the water temp gauge showing as mid warm when it's switched off

The wrinkle paint is too wrinkly!!

The plaque and the oil cooler rubber ducting..I'm sure are a build error if not there originally at delivery. (edit.. I'm sure I can see the cooler duct rubber in an old photo...)

The coil boots is a bugger. I'll see what I can find.

finally....TAKE THAT FRAM OIL FILTER AND THROW IT AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.

And as Aircon says... it does sit a bit high. Usually girls sag as they get older. I guess she's had work done.

10. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it to WA in October!!!! :D

11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It has the same shocks and springs it was delivered with, so no idea about the ride height. Dr Carl is sorting out the suspension on it this week- hence the visit.

The photo's made a few things look kind of weird. The airbox for one and the cam covers look like they are chromed? Weird.

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The photos were taken after the engine was run to operating temp. The gauge reflects that I guess.

The photos made the crinkle paint look weird, no idea why. It's nowhere near that prominent in the flesh.

Yeah the coil boots are a source of continuing irritation. If anyone has them, that would be great. I have never really got to the bottom of the oil cooler duct rubber. My Father reckoned the car never had one, and he was just as anal about this stuff as I am. John Allan has looked after the car from delivery and he also thinks that it never had one. Who knows?

The oil filter? Yeah I know; but it's a concour car I guess.

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Never mind concour. it should have a Marpart pre 1978 Orange filter with stand pipe, or a Later UFI white one. It's a perfectly acceptable up date.

Those FRAM's do not have a proper stand pipe and starve the engine of pressure on start up, and also cannot take the high flow/high pressure of Ferrari engines, meaning they often restrict peak oil pressure too. They're for Ferguson tractors that idle at 300rpm and peak at 2500!!

The water gauge should be zero when off. Same as others.

Bloody lovely car though. Ride height and ride quality can be improved with one of my spring packages.......

14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thanks John, I thought you might be interested to see the car when I made the post (being a fellow F/G 308 owner).
    Work permitting, I may get there as the wife wants to go. Maybe I'll bring something more interesting for the folks waaaaaaay over there.

15. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    please do, us West Aussies are so deprived :(
    BTW, will the meeting in October be open to the public (i.e. me) or just for members of the FCA?

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I'll be coming over to run the 360C speciale of Tom Warwick at Barbagallo and also at a hill climb I believe. Sounds fun.

Hey JM, Need a concour judge?? I'm free!, well cheap anyway.......

17. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    good idea, and I could be the photographer for the event - the FCA site would look great with some of my pics :D

18. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Note the car is wearing the same type oil filter now as in the "new" photos. It has ALWAYS had FRAM filters, absolutely no question about it. I agree that it isn't a big deal concour wise (depending upon the Judge). I did the car for me and that's the way I like it.

No idea about the gauge!

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hmmmm, ask some other people in the trade why they don't like judging concour Phil................

20. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    No Scott, that filter in the old photo is Orange, but it is NOT a FRAM.

The Orange (Marpart reproduction) Ferrari filter (with stand pipe) is still available from some sources, but most fit the UFI white ones now.

I have painted some UFI's Orange in the past. But I wouldn't use a FRAM under ANY circumstances. THEY ARE BAD NEWS..... and this coming from a guy that makes a living from fixing... Prevention is counter productive to me!!

21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I don't have a problem doing judging. I did it in the UK, and also at the Canberra Rally in 2000.

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Okey dokey then. I'm going to WA just to watch the fireworks, should be spectacular.

23. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    WA doesn't have firewerks, just some stupid belltower with flashing lights. sorry, new years pain from 2000/1.

24. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    things have changed since you left - now we have fireworks, music, lighting and cops patrolling the area :D

25. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yeah i mean it's not a childish desire to see firewerks, but man, 100,000 people turn up to see some council guys shine colourful flashlights on a stoopid copper-toothpick for ten minutes as a means of celebration? :confused: how's that belltower thing going anyhoo? i figgered when they were building it that it would be green within a year, or do they have professional buffing services going up and down all day?