go to modern | FerrariChat

go to modern

Discussion in 'Australia' started by scud, Jun 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    lads go to modern for my CS video

2. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Good one Scud... Can't believe you can't beat your GT3 time though..... on same tyres, a 360M will match a GT3, so a CS should easily have the legs....

But you got me curious...

What N-GT spring/shock set up have you been sold.. all the cars are in Melbourne and you can't buy parts from Michelotto without owning a car...??

I know some fragments are around from racing days though...

Which brand of shock do you have...... Could be Koni, Extreme tech, Sachs as original equip, or Ohlins if you have a PHR team configuration?

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    A GT3 matched (beat?) a 430 last saturday at winton...on the same tyres.

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    phil the GT3 is an awesome car out of the box , suspension is very stiff but mine has had a ECU upgrade and another exhaust fitted and it's given me about 40hp extra which has given it some real punch. shocks were out of a german race car and are Sachs. the GT3 is a much easier car to throw around as the CS has a lot of body roll. hopefully i will get some real gains with the new shocks but it's going to be trial and error. i was going flat out in both cars so the time difference wasn't through a lack of trying

cheers

roger

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Which do you think would be quicker with the same (professional) driver?

7. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    puting brakes,suspension,tyres,weight,hp,driver etc to the side , track lay out has a major part in it. as i said at warwick i am 3 seconds slower in the CS as i am in 4th gear more and never higher than 3rd in the GT3 . at Queensland Raceway at ipswich where the track is flater and longer straights the CS is only 1.5 seconds slower per lap.

in the CS i hit 5th gear but never higher than 4th in the GT3. i have to change from 2nd to 3rd a lot in the CS just before a corner to then be back down the box to 2nd . if i stay in 2nd i just hang right on the red line waiting for the corner to come up.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    As much as we all love our Ferraris, I've noticed, over the years, that kg for kg and weight for weight Porsches always seem to get much better lap times. Why? No idea!More nimble? Better punch out of corners due to engine position? *shrug*

And as for phil's assertion that a GT3 is the equiv of a 306M......hahahahahaha.....more like a 360CH!

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    No Aircon... The 430 has 19" System tyres, which have a very different construction to the 18"s. Just the same rubber, that's all.

I think the 19" sidewall is too small, but yes, Hal did do a good lap in his GT3, and Andrew was surprisingly slow I think... Hal's tyres were new, and Andrews have a done a little work now.

And GT3/360... Over one lap no real difference, few tenths if any. Over several... 360 Brakes are crap, Porsche keep going.

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Yeh I tend to agree. I think the result of GT3/430 showdown would most likely be track dependant.

11. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  12. phatdiablo

phatdiablo Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    this is why i think i would buy a gt3 over a fcar. more into tracking and overall set up. fcars are quick and heads turn for it but seems to me that the gt3 price for package cant be beaten.

Cheers
    -Pete

13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    well this is where you're either a Ferrari person or fast car person.

Ferrari bug means you will accept that it ain't the best for the dollar but you love it and forgive it.

You only love a fast car until the NEXT one comes out and then the next one and so on.

The Fcar is a permanent love affair with a mistress, fast car is just a passing bonk..not that there's anything wrong with that :D

14. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you want a great track car, the GT3 is fantastic right off the show room floor.

If you want a Ferrari that is also a great track car, then it needs to be a Challenge. 355CH, 360CS, 360CH, 360N-GT.

IMHO, my F430 is an amazing road car, but not a track car.

15. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    andrew, can you explain a bit more about your reasons for that analysis as I would have thought with ceramic brakes and e-diff and the latest technology, your f430 would have been awesome.?

16. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, the F430 is a very fast car, nearly 500 bhp, has superb brakes, the e-diff can give you great traction out of corners, the F1 transmission is now much improved, the torsional rigidity of the car is better, the manettino helps with suspension settings etc.
    However, the grip level on road tyres is quite limiting, and they don't make R-rated tyres or Hoosiers for 19" wheels yet. Whilst the car has quite a firm/sporty suspension on the road, it is quite soft for track work.
    I feel there is a great difference between the feel and performance of a track/race car and a road car, no matter how good the road car is (and the F430 is fabulous). I think tyres/suspension/reduction in weight can overcome power when on a track.
    PS: Remember the brakes are limited by the grip the tyres provide.

17. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    isn't there any slicks that are 19". And what about putting 18" wheels on the car, would that help......i guess the brakes are too big. forget I said that

18. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I am not allowed to runs slicks without a roll cage!

I will await R-rated tyres and then see how I go.

19. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Andrew
    How did you fare on Sunday?

20. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sunday was great.
    The front tyres are down to the TWI.
    Both Will & I drove in consecutive sessions.
    I think the brakes took a fair pounding too.
    They did not miss a beat tho'.
    I will have the pads checked for wear.
    I am getting the hang of it, but set almost the same time 1.38.40.
    I think R-rated tyres would yield 1.36 and Hoosiers 1.34/1.35.
    When you drive around corners you need to always have some power on as the
    e-diff drives the outside rear wheel to keep you on line, even helps turn in!
    However, if you lift off, the e-diff disengages and the outside rear loses
    it's drive and the car straightens up...not good for the sweeper or Southern loop!
    You have to commit to an entry speed and hold your line and nerve, which is
    quite different to the 355 and M3 and any other car I have driven.
    Also, I found the overall grip level quite low on those tyres, and power
    oversteer was very easy to provoke on exits due to low rear grip.
    The strong points were the power and the brakes (subject to the low tyre grip).
    I did not bottom, even on the bumpy brake areas.

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Andrew
    Your tyre compound is already R spec, the Corsa is not going to show any big improvement, if any IMO, but the Hoosier is worth at least 3 secs at Winton IMO over the Pirelli, if you have the courage to use the extra grip!

22. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    it's not about courage - Andrew is already driving the tyres as far as is sensible, (I saw them today, he's certainly using them to their practical limits based on the way they've worn)

he'll simply drive the better tyres to the same level - no courage required - just skill. And we know he certainly has enough of that.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sorry, but don't agree with this. Let's see Allan or someone similar driving both of our cars, realistically 5 secs a lap faster than we do. It's not neccessarily a lack of skill either, it's just as much having a healthier sense of self preservation IMO.
    EDIT
    Upon review my comment is a load of **** and not relevant in the context of the thread.
    I agree with your comment entirely

24. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My understanding is that they are not R-rated.
    Anyway they ran out a grip quite early.
    I am used to running on many different brands of R-rated tyres and have worn out about 10 sets of R-rated Corsas on my 355 and M3 and have a pretty good idea what grip they provide, certainly more than the Corsa Systems.

25. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.
    but I was addressing your earlier statement which was

Sure Allan, or someone similar, driving your car or Andrews *in their current configuration* could possibly drive five seconds a lap faster. [I'm happy to prove you correct, throw me the keys :p hehe]
    But your comment was about a tyre providing a 3 second advantage and Andrew having the courage to drive that tyre to the same level as he drives the current tyres - I don't think that requires courage as a good driver will not need courage to drive faster - the tyre provides the advantage (ie he doesn't have to drive HARDER)