Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > AviatorChat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: James K. Woods
It was pretty common in the oilfield days...

In Oklahoma, this was pretty much common practice -- (in the boom days of the late 70s and early 80s).

You should have seen the amount of red mud that got tracked into the helicopter or airplane! We figured it was the least we could do for making such a mess out of a nice interior.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by UroTrash View Post
The question is:

Are these guys professionals or workers?

If they are professionals: no tip.

If they are labor-worker types: tip.

Wonder what they consider themselves?
I wouldn't base it off that. They don't get tipped usually. The general rule of thumb is that if they do something out of the ordinary or if you are a generous person then you tip them.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

We do get tipped, and appreciate it greatly.

Hi all! An old thread yes, but I'll chime in for the internet readers.

"We're not in it for the money..."
A waiter or concierge "in it for the money" would not have the right personality and would fail; there needs to be some passion in what you do. It's true pilots are passionate about flying and that's what makes us successful and safe. Charter pilots are different than airline pilots in that we enjoy the personal interactions and the uniqueness of each mission.

"Service workers or professionals..."
Both. An airline pilot is a professional. A charter crew (pilots and cabin attendants included) are professionals choosing to also provide direct customer service to create a personal experience.

"I don't tip my Jet Blue pilot..."
That's true, and you don't tip a public bus driver usually either while you do tip a private limo service. A private jet pilot does a lot more than fly the plane. The crew takes care of all flight planning into remote airports you desire to go to, load your bags, organize your catering, clean the toilets, cosmetic maintenance and cleaning, etc. The cabin attendants I work with review passenger's birthdates and love to provide surprises for upcoming birthdays. We review any notes in our database for allergies and plan accordingly. There is a lot of customer service elements involved in flying private charter and the personalities that prefer to go to the big airlines don't cut it in high end charter. All this besides the fact that we are responsible for all the lives aboard and take great care in planning the trip as well as reacting appropriately to unexpected situations.

While the service we enjoy providing is high-end, the pay is not. This is partly because of the passion in the industry; young pilots all want to fly so they accept meager wages. We were all there and it doesn't last. Being away from home when you're 22 and single is different from when you're in a relationship and own a home. And trust me you want a stable crew in the cockpit anyway, not a 22 year old hot dog with no one to come home to. Those personalities can fly cargo until they get it out of their system.

We have families we provide for and are away from at least one week at a time. Enjoy flying or not at the end of the day feeding and clothing my family comes first. Tips help bridge the gap and more than anything are an important symbol of appreciation that keeps morale up when you've been away from home and your loved ones 12 days covering someone else's shift so that you don't have your flight interrupted.

"Tipping the Pilots more than your Cabin Attendant"
We see the cabin attendants bust there butts preparing for the flight and we tip share anything we get that's greater than they got. Keep it equal across the crew or hand one lump to the Captain and we will divide it up.

"OK SO HOW MUCH?"
If it's going to be cash, $100 each is the bare minimum, although I've seen $100 per pilot and then only $50 for the cabin attendant (from a total of 10 passengers). Ask yourself how much you would have tipped your waiter at a nice restaurant you sat at with 9 family members and were waited on for 4 hours. With wine, that easily is a $2,000 dinner @ 20% tip = $400. And that's just at a restaurant.

3% - 5% of your trip is fair for the crew to split and much appreciated. If you're on small Citation for 1 hour with 1 other person you probably spent $7,000 and you can tip 3% which would be about $100 per pilot as it's a 2 crew operation. If you're on a Gulfstream or Challenger for 4 hours with 10 people you may have spent $60,000 and should tip 5% for the work of taking care of 10 people which would come out to $1000 per crew member including the cabin attendant.

If you want to keep quality pilots at your favorite charter operator then tip. If you want a fresh batch of rookies constantly making the same newbie mistakes with your most precious cargo on board, by all means drive us away to the airlines for the better pay.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Christian
If there is a gratuity line in the charter quote, you can be sure it will never get to the crew. Im speaking of brokers specifically.

We have a few regulars who tip. As a crew, we will go the extra mile to accommodate them. Im talking about moving days off etc because they request us and our aircraft specifically. The money isnt a life changer, but more like an acknowledgement of the superior service we provide.

I tip airline flight attendants a $50 here and there. Guess who gets treated like royalty in coach?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Don
This thread is a blast from the past!

I no longer do charter, but when I did, I will reiterate that tipping was always appreciated but never expected. Maybe that's changed, though.

Personally, I have a bias against tipping, both as tipper and tippee. I recognize that it's a social norm, and that many people's incomes are structured in such a way that it's an expected part of their income stream, and that's the world se live in. So point is, I do tip.

I just wish we lived in a society where tipping wasn't necessary and wasn't expected, and people were paid a wage that was appropriate for their life. I always find tipping to be an annoying, informal, and somewhat awkward custom. Who do you tip and how much? It's just a pain. It would be so much easier to do away with it and just pay 20% more on the bill.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:56 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Tipping a professional pilot is insulting. When is the last time you tipped your lawyer?

People asking for such are denigrating the profession. Just. Stop. Please.

Signed,

A 40 year retired professional pilot.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:57 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mark Severino
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmark1 View Post
Tipping a professional pilot is insulting. When is the last time you tipped your lawyer?

Signed,

Well, after a criminal trial I did, the defendant's brother showed up to my office with a bag of money. I politely declined. Never accepted the cocaine either despite being offered numerous times. I don't know if that would be considered a tip, though.

Mark
Old 08-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmark1 View Post

Signed,

Agreed on all points.

You dont tip your Lawyer or Doctor, Professional Pilot is in the same boat. Its uncommon to get a tip but when it happens, I generally toss it to our FA as he does most of the fussing in the cabin. But tipping your pilot is tacky.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:30 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jeff Kennedy
My Garage
Seen regular tipping in International operations. Usually denominated in $100s.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Terry H Phillips
This is almost as good as a belt change thread.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Dave M.
My Garage
I dunno,

I'd consider a Rabbi a professional, but every time he does a Bris he gets a tip.

Just thought I'd toss that in here...

D
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Keith
Excellent!

SV
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
I dunno,

I'd consider a Rabbi a professional, but every time he does a Bris he gets a tip.

Just thought I'd toss that in here...

D

I went to a Bris once........cant look at fried calamari the same.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: SVO
Not to derail the thread but how much do you guys tip the line guys? Every time regardless of service delivered? At your home base? How about when two or three guys help out?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:48 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: kevin flankey
Another factor to consider, is the pilot also the plane's owner? If so, then tipping may not be necessary. I'm already paying him/her for the charter. If the pilot is an employee of the plane's owner, then feel free to tip. Similar protocol as in a hair salon.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Tipping line service-- that's an interesting issue. I know one guy who basically sprays $50 bills at anyone who comes close to the airplane. He claims to get awesome service wherever he goes, and I'm sure that's true.

I never tip the guys at my home base, unless they do something way above and beyond fueling the airplane. On the road, I don't tip for fuel, but I do tip if they load bags or something like that-- and of course, anything I consider to be above and beyond. When I flew an airplane with an externally serviced lav, I always tipped the guys who did the lav service.

And there are a few places, like Teterboro, where it's pretty expected and you need to do it. Even there, it's generally not the fuel guys but the supervisor who comes out when you arrive.

When I worked line service in the 1980s, it was pretty unusual to get a tip. It happened, but it certainly was less common than today.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rick
This is a tough one because most pilots make about 1/3 of what people think. That goes for corporate and commercial. Up until very recently, most first year First Officers at a regional airline (United Express/American Eagle) could qualify for food stamps....$23,000/yr
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

That's changing rapidly, though. Most of them are offering significant hiring bonuses and bonuses for completing training, completing the first year, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP137 View Post
This is a tough one because most pilots make about 1/3 of what people think. That goes for corporate and commercial. Up until very recently, most first year First Officers at a regional airline (United Express/American Eagle) could qualify for food stamps....$23,000/yr
Old 08-14-2017, 11:21 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

I dont own my plane but tip the line guy $20 per stop minimum. And that is usually to the guy dumping the lav. If im barking out commands and they are doing it, $20 minimum to each.

Private guys with experience.....pay is not a problem these days. Airlines are scooping up bodies. I jut saw a contract for over 200k a year, 15 on 15 off per month on a GIV.

Don, I had some guy pull this at my usual FBO in TEB last year. He said, "You gotta pay to play". After a very small chat with the Manager (I asked her to look up how much fuel we buy monthly), no more of that crap. My pet peeve is when the owners toss out $100's and the line guys vanish after.

Short story. My little brother was a line guy at MillionAir in SLC. He was visiting me in LA and I had a dead head back to SLC so I gave him a ride home. 20 Min out, I had my FO radio in that we are requesting no autographs from my passenger. Yup....8 line guys in perfect formation to park us.

I walked down the stairs and awaited my little brothers 'grand entrance'.

Priceless. 7 of the 8 walked off in disgust. The 8th got $300 from me. My brother said the guy got a promotion.

Now lets talk about how much to tip the valet to let you self park your Fcar?

Last edited by lear60man; 08-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post

Now lets talk about how much to tip the valet to let you self park your Fcar?
20 bucks a a medium priced restaurant to get my keys back at the valet stand.... oy vey!
Non-Sponsor Ads