Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > AviatorChat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Chuck
Do you tip a charter pilot?

Recently, we took our first private chartered jet flight, and at the end, we seemed to have an awkward moment with the pilots. Sort of that 'where's my tip' kind of moment.

Are you supposed to tip these guys? I wouldn't think so, considering how much you're paying to begin with, and they aren't exactly poorly paid themselves. Then again, if it's customary, I'd sure like to know.

Thanks guys,

Chuck
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Thomas Summerfield
I havnt had the opportunity to take a privete jet anywhere, but from what I have heard from people that have, the general rule is that you dont tip EXPECT when they are working on holidays or really unusual hours. Some will probably have a different take.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
No, with the exception of travel over significant holidays.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Alan
You would probably be suprised

Not sure who you chartered the plane with, but the crew probably makes nowhere near what you might think they would. If it was a smaller jet ie learjet or equivalent, the captain probably is making 55k or so tops. The copilot almost for sure less than 30 and probably closer to 20k a year. It's not the rockstar money that a lot of people think it is. All that said, I don't think you should feel obligated to tip and it would be wrong of the crew to make you the slightest bit uncomfortable about not tipping. I think you might have misread their expression since I wouldn't think most charter pilots would expect a tip. It definately happens, but it's the exception to the rule.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:06 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: TS
Question

My friend tipped the pilot $1000 when he flew from LA to Vegas. I thought that was the norm.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Formula Junior

Full Name: Paul
I have a friend that fly’s a king air and makes 65-75k a year. You tip everyone else why not the guy with your life in his hands.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:56 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carless View Post
You tip everyone else why not the guy with your life in his hands.
Because he has his life in his hands as well. There's no "extra" incentive needed to fly the plane safely, if you get my meaning.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Alex
If they busted their azz for you and had to throw bags instead of the line guys doing it, then defiantly you should. Ohh and it is ok to tip line guys too…but if you tend to tip the pilots sometimes they will tip the line guys. Certain companies give the pilots a 'tip fund' however to tip line guys or whoever else throughout the trip.

Last edited by Kingair33; 03-26-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Internet Poseur
My Garage
The question is:

Are these guys professionals or workers?

If they are professionals: no tip.

If they are labor-worker types: tip.

Wonder what they consider themselves?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
Im working on my Private License... and Ive been hangin out with several charter pilots. Its not common practice.

MOST of these guys dont fly for the money. They are flying charters and for hire flights to rack up hours.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: bo
Tipping you pilot...seriously? Not like I am in any position to give personal experience, but:

Do you tip your accountant?

Do you tip your lawyer?

Do you tip your doctor?

Tips are for folks in the service industry who rely on that as part of their income. If you are going to start tipping pilots, you best tip everyone you come in contact with.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

I have aircraft on leaseback for 135 charter and it would seem that the younger guys are looking for this much more than the older guys. If you receive service above and beyond what you expect then tip, but it is not expected.

BTW, starting pay for a "co-captain" at most charter services and even commuter airlines is about $24,000 per year...the guys getting into this are not doing it for the money.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: James Wardwell
I just flew from Boston to Orlando on Jet blue, I gave the co pilot and the pilot $20 each for there trouble...Are you kidding me why would a Pilot get tipped? Do you tip your Doctor or your mechanic. They are a professional where they receive adequate comp for there job.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Tip em, charter work sucks.

If you don't like the idea of tipping, call it a "bonus" like our CEO eh, make you feel better not tipping a professional. If you really don't like tipping don't charter, stick to the airlines and if you really hate tipping dine at Mac's understand they don't take tips there.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Craigy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UroTrash View Post
The question is:

Are these guys professionals or workers?

If they are professionals: no tip.

If they are labor-worker types: tip.

Wonder what they consider themselves?
Yeah that sounds about right.

I never liked taking tips though, even when I made less than minimum wage digging ditches for a pool company If it's my job, then I shouldn't get a tip, the customer has already paid for the service (and has paid pretty well for it, too).

If the job description lists pay as tips, sure. If the person makes a real salary, a tip is reserved for the occasion that you feel A) that the product was above and beyond expectation and/or B) very generous.

But hey if someone likes to piss away money, he can tip all he wants, provided it's not my money.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Don
I've been a charter pilot in various jets and turboprops for almost 20 years now (actually I started more than 20 years ago, but I took a few years off in the middle).

Tips should never be expected. If you happen to be feeling generous, or the crew goes above and beyond the call of duty, a tip is nice and appreciated, but is NOT the norm.

If the crew was hanging around as you left the airplane or airport, don't assume they were waiting for a tip. In all probability, they were making sure that your ground transportation was there and ready and that your bags were loaded into the correct vehicle. At my company, we stress in our training that our responsibility for the passenger's travel needs doesn't end until they have driven away in their car or limo.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Dr.John Gober
When we travel , we usually bring each flight crew member back a nice bottle of wine of something of local fare on the return flight home, or if we know where they are dining one evening I will make arrangements to pick up the dinner tab for them. They always seem to appreciate those unexpected gestures and tolerate my aviation questions on the way back home.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: David
I used to work as a maintenance scheduler for BJS. (only job I ever quit ).
The pilots make next to nothing in comparison to what they spend on education.
You tip your Taxi driver, why not give them $100 or so.
Compared to the cost of a charter, thats chump change.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:48 AM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

I generally fly myself. However, I always tip the line people, because they do things well over and above what you'd normally expect. They bring the car to the plane, help load the bags, make sure that the fuel has been added, and in general make your life a lot easier.

I don't know about the pilots, but generally when I get good service, I tip. Those folks flying the plane are doing their best to make sure that you arrive on time, and safely.

I'd have tipped them.

Art
Old 04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000YELLOW360 View Post
I generally fly myself. However, I always tip the line people, because they do things well over and above what you'd normally expect. They bring the car to the plane, help load the bags, make sure that the fuel has been added, and in general make your life a lot easier.

I don't know about the pilots, but generally when I get good service, I tip. Those folks flying the plane are doing their best to make sure that you arrive on time, and safely.

I'd have tipped them.

Art
Amen!