Bugatti Airplane | FerrariChat

Bugatti Airplane

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by WILLIAM H, Aug 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

3. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I like that last picture

5. sibagong

sibagong Rookie

Jul 31, 2006
    notice the wings are forward swept wings instead of the normal backward swept wings we found in normal aircraft
    forward swept wing gives better airflow and less drag to the aircraft
    however the construction of fwd swept wings is very hard to find the correct configuration

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Those contra-props are almost always trouble as well. The engine was behind the cockpit with a driveshaft up to the front. I really wonder about the weight and balance of such a scheme.

However, I saw somebody make an RC model of this, so I guess it might have theoretically been able to fly. As far as I know, it was never fully assembled in Bugatti hands, but was found at the Molsheim works partially assembled in the 50s and ended up in a flight museum here in the US?

Maybe somebody knows the whole story here.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This aircraft was a flop and never flew.
    De Monge designed it to attack the air speed record, at the time in German hands.
    There were 2 engines behing the pilot, with a propshaft each side of the seat.
    An engineering nightmare and a project far too ambitious for Bugatti who had no prior involvement in aircraft, lending just the 2 engines.

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    That is pretty much the story I read as well. Note that Bugatti himself, while a great artist and arguably a mechanical genius in his own quirky way, was not a trained engineer of any kind - let alone a competent aerodynamic designer.

But it is a pretty thing, is it not?

BTW - in my experience you can get almost any shape to fly as an RC model so long as you provide enough power.

9. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
  10. charmingDeviant

Mar 26, 2006
    #10 charmingDeviant, Sep 9, 2007

Actually the bugatti p-100 air racer was designed by a very accomplished aerodynamicist from the period, Louis De Monge. The plane was not a flop by any measure, however, due to the impending invasion of the German Army, Ettore Bugatti hid the plane away prior to its completion. Some history on the aircraft can be found here: http://bugattipage.com/jacob/other/Aeroplane.html

I have also attached an image of the 3d CG model of the aircraft that I am currently working on.

Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm not seeing how the drive shaft turns the prop.

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks like a driveshaft running down the right side of the cockpit.

13. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #14 Nurburgringer, Jun 10, 2012
    the sole 100p now resides at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh WI.
    I must have spent 20 minutes just walking around it taking in the details. Beautiful!

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Bugatti%20Model%20100%20Racer.asp

"Construction of the aircraft was undertaken on the second floor of a furniture factory in Paris. The French government was aware of the advanced design and Bugatti received a contract for a light pursuit plane designated as the Model 110P based on the Model 100P racer. In 1938-1939, while the Model 100 was under construction, the threat of war increased. The aircraft had to be completed by September of 1939 to enter the race. The deadline was not met and the beautiful blue bird never took to the air.

When the Germans neared the French capital in June of 1940, it was decided to move the aircraft from its Paris location. As the plane was not complete, it was lowered from the second story factory and taken into the French countryside. There, hidden in a barn, the never-flown plane resided for almost 30 years.

Ettore Bugatti died at age 66 on 21 August 1947. After his death, the aircraft was acquired by a Mr. Pazzoli who sold it to Mr. Salis who in turn sold it to the American car aficionado Ray Jones in 1970. Jones sole purpose was to acquire the two Bugatti engines still in the aircraft. He brought the plane to the US, removed the powerplants and sold the airframe to Dr. Peter Williamson. Williamson moved the aircraft to Connecticut in February 1971 to begin a lengthy restoration. Les and Don Lefferts worked on the project from 1975 to 1979. Les Lefferts documented this work in the July 1991 issue of SKYWAYS magazine. The restoration ceased in 1979 and the aircraft was donated to the Air Force Museum Foundation with hopes of completing the work and placing the aircraft on permanent loan to another museum. As time slipped away, the aircraft remained in storage for at least another 15 years before being donated to the EAA AirVenture Museum."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    It looks like there are two shafts, one from each engine, running along the left and right sides of the cockpit and connecting to the gearbox for the counter-rotating props.

15. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Gear box? Ugh.

Cool looking plane but seems to have a lot of failure points.

Also, where's the tail wheel? Looks like they're using a little dolly to support the tail.

16. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    no wheel i can see ....there's a drive shaft goes along each side of the pilot to drive the front props
    complex design to say the least, not fool proof for sure, but tres cool :)

a modern version, with dual props behind the Y tail would work for me, that'd be interesting, and better packaging

17. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Are there any calculations how fast this plane could have been?

18. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just depends on the HP of those engines.

19. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    As all Bugatti's from that era, more art than engineering.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Those were my thoughts, also. Whizzbang Buck Rogers looks but poor aerodynamic configuration. Tail looks too small, tail arm too short, and it would take a lot of HP to get it moving fast enough to fly well. It appears that the rear engine drives aft gear box while the forward engine drives the forward box. Both shafts would require some very firm mid-shaft stabilizer bearings too.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Each prop has it's own engine, post #7 above.

Tailskid?

23. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    LOL ....and a drive shaft under each armpit! :D

24. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason