Introduce Yourself... | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My dad was a pilot and my two passions as a kid were planes and Ferraris. I started taking lessons at 14, but parents only paid for the first few lessons and I couldn't afford to continue. My sophomore year in high school I received a few bad grades because I spent all my time studying for the Private Pilot. :D

The past several years have been spent with other hobbies and passions, but I'm getting close again where financially and time wise I can fully commit to completing my license. My goal is to start in the Spring of next year and complete Private Pilot by summer.

I live in Southlake, TX with my wife Jennie Hocking (Jahock). She is a Physician Assistant and I've been in Software Development while running my own company part time. Goal is to quit my day job and run my company full time while being a stay at home dad.

Other hobbies are Ferraris, Car Racing, Swimming, Cycling, Running, Hunting, and Fishing.

I look forward to sharing my student pilot experience in detail as entertainment for those that have been through it and maybe a guide for future students.

2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

From the FChat board.

Had my PPL since March of 04. 2/3rds through my instrument ticket currently.

Fly a LOT of Microsoft Flight sim...particularly the PMDG 737 NG.

Here's a link for that (if you're a simmer):

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/html/73767.htm

Needs a good comp to run, but well worth it.

RMX

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hi everyone,

I'm from F-chat, too, but under the username BMW.WilliamsF1Team. I'm currently a senior at the University of Florida and I hope to graduate in Spring 2006. I haven't flown a plane, but I would like to get my PPL sometime soon (currently a poor college student :p).

My favorite aircraft would probably be a tie between the Grumman F14 Tomcat and the Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I have been an aviation enthusiast as long as I have been a Ferrari enthusiast. Started lessons when I was about 14 as well, but like Rob I, too, ran out of enough money to continue. My goal was to become an airline pilot, but I have since shifted my interests to another career...even though I still dream about flying for the airlines :)

I am also very heavy on Microsoft Flight Sims and help run a very prominent and realistic virtual airline as an operations manager for their SFO hub. I take flying in the flight sims very seriously and do lots of simulated airline flights. I have "flown" everything from single engine props, commuters, and widebody airliners on long haul flights...Unfortunately since I have no life I DO sit at my computer for 15 hours at a time for long haul flights :)

I also avidly collector airline junk, ranging from barf bags and safety cards to flight manuals, etc. In the past I have also done a lot of aviation photography.

Im passionate about aviation and I am looking forward to getting to know a lot of like-minded individuals!

5. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Hi,

Came over from Fchat... Love Ferrari's and anything with wings or rotors.

Starting flying helo's when I was very young (12) and got my private rotorcraft when I was 18.

After a little while, I got my private single engine, then commercial multi-engine, instrument, and finally a LR-JET type rating.

Based between SBA and SAN.

Have owned several aircraft over the years, but sold my last plane a BE-B60 Beech Duke a couple of years ago. Have to get something else one day!

KKSBA

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    From FChat as well. I have always enjoyed aviation and hope to get a private PPL at some point(goal is with next 5 years). My grandfather was a P-47 Thunderbolt pilot in WW2 and a I've got a couple friends who fly for a living.

As for collecting. I have my grandfather's flight logs, medals, pictures and personal logs from training, through D-Day, till the end of his "tour". Interesting reading. :)

7. el Carnicero

el Carnicero Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Also migrated from F-Chat.
    Started PPL in '69 - Cherokee 140. Love those low-wingers. Went on to CPL at FSI in Vero Beach. Got multi rating in Aztec flying night freight runs from CLE to Detroit Metro. First time I landed the Aztec in daylight was for the ME checkride. <eek> Did all IR training in the Aztec and busted first checkride. Oh well, passed fine next time. Check pilot said, "I probably would have passed you the first time but you're a doc and everybody knows the most dangerous thing in the sky is a doc flying a Beechcraft, so I held you to a lilttle higher standard." In retrospect... saved my a$$.

8. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind
    Hello, I'm Mario Gonzalez

I've been flying most of my teenage and adult life. started in aviation by having my dad take me to the airport to watch the planes takeoff and land. later in my mid teens I started to hang out in Tamiami Airport and soon got a job pumping gas and sweeping the hangar for a couple of hours of flight time a week in a c152. got my private and instrument and commercial like that. then I became an instructor. eventually, I got odd flying jobs like ferrying or delivering packages and pretty much flying everything I could get my hands on (for free of course). Started networking and meeting people that could help me further my carrier, which landed me my current airline job flying DC-8's.

Good job Rob!

My offer still stands if you need a Moderator here.

Mario Gonzalez

9. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hey,

I'm from F-chat. Anyways, im working towards a private pilots liscence, maybe ill try to go commercial. We will see soon enough. I started taking flight lessons just a little over a year ago. Ground school has been completed and all that.

Have fun everyone

Martin

10. imported_TimN

imported_TimN Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    I also came from Fchat. I started flying this summer. So far, I really enjoy it.

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    I don't know squat about airplanes. I come from the FerrariChat world as well.

I've always been irrationally fascinated by helicopters, though.

Doody!

12. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I too came from FChat. Learned to fly in a Citabria. Started working as a CFI then to flying bank mail in a Navajo then to Hawker S. Started flying fish in Alaska on a DC7 then a L188. Flew Emery on a L188 than started flying DC8 61/63 LAX-HNL 7 times a month for Pacific East. Got a job with ONA flying DC8 63/73 flying around the world (typically JFK-Europe-Mid East-India-Thailand-Japan-return JFK. Finally ONA went out of business started working for TIA (Trans Intl) until they went Chap7 then EAL (Eastern) until they went Chap7 (welcome to my world!) then Connie Kaletta (back to flying bombs in DC8s) then I woke up one day and started my own company FSI.

Now I help airlines save fuel (and money). Clients- BA,OS,CX,SN,SR,TS,TP etc.

Bob

13. imported_spang308

Aug 7, 2005
    Another F-Chat transplant. Got my private ticket in Aug. 1998. Fly small singles for fun and short trips. Have flown Piper Archer, Cessna 152 and 172, Beech Sundowner and a few others. I don't own a plane now, but I would like to buy a Mooney M20c or 201 in the near future and work on my instrument and commercial ticket.

John

14. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #14 sparky p-51, Aug 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm Steve, also a retread from fchat. Have been flying sence 1965 and am only a lowly pvt pilot, but have worked hard and have some pretty neat toys. My baby is a P-51 I restored 20 years ago and flew until 94. I have stepped down and my 32 year old son Brant now has the honors. Just acquired a 87 Tr and love it so far. I hope the TR fills in some of the gap not flying had left. Thanks for the site Rob....I'm sure it will be as sucessful as fchat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    ANOTHER FChat transplant. I've got a Baron, Model 58, that I've had for about 17 years, and it's my toy. I've up dated it about as well as I can, and the only thing left to do this year (wife will laugh about this, says I'm never done) is the interior, just put new engines (overhauled) and new panel (Garmin) in the plane.

Art

16. rovingtravler

rovingtravler Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Clovis, NM
    Full Name:
    David
    #16 rovingtravler, Aug 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I too am an Fchat transplant, but from the Lamborghini Chat side. I started riding my bike (pedal power) to the local airport when I was twelve. There I would help owners work on their planes or wash them for rides afterwards. Worked very well too!

When I turned eighteen my parents and grandmother gave me the gift of flight with lessons at the smae Airport 4N1 (Greenwood Lake AP in New Jersey) I received my Single Engine VFR in a little less than 9 weeks. I started on a C150 10 hours, then a C152 33 hours aanf then took my test.

I flew through college and then Went to flight school for the US Army. I fly UH-60 Blackhawks for a living now. My primary job is the Intel officer position for the Battalion, but I do get to fly a fair amount since I am a pilot in command (i.e. captain not co-polit)

If you need to know something about the military, Lamborghinis, or Helicopterslet me know.

David

17. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I came from Fchat also, I started flying when I was 16 while working at the airport for a summer job. after spending 4 years there and working full time for 3 of them I got to fly and fly in everything from KR-2's, to King Air's and Beechjets, even a Cessna T-50 Bambo Bomber, (kudos to the first person that can post a pic of a T-50) ;)

18. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Hello to everyone. I am another crossover from F-chat. I have a passion for airplanes and Ferraris. I am not sure which is greater, but I am fortunate to be able to indulge in both. I have been flying for 3 1/2 years. Have my instrument ticket. Have loved every minute of it. Currently own an A36 Bonanza and I am based at JLN.

Rob, if this site grows to be even close to F-chat it will be a winner.

Steve

19. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Have you seen this yet?

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/html/747400.htm

I just bought this tonight but it'll be a few days before I get to play with it. If you're deep into the sim stuff like me, you'll LOVE this.

Myself currently using FSLive Traffic but looked into the stuff you're doing.

Yeah, I also collect airline junk, too. I fly every weekend commercially and steal safety cards, barf bags and misc stuff. I have a safety card from just about every commercial aircraft known: CRJ 700s, ERJs, Dash 8s, Bae 146s, 737-4/5/6/7, 757, 767, 777, 747, A319, 320.

RMX

20. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Sparky! that is a sweet plane! so awsome

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hello...Don't know much about aircraft but it is a bit of a passion of mine..so I've just come to lurk about and ask silly questions..hope ya don't mind!

22. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Hey, this is great!!! I hope this gets as big as FChat because I have a lot of questions.

I just got my private in April and my multi in May. I fly a Beechcraft Duchess. (When it is not grounded, long story about brakes tomorrow.)

23. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
  24. imported_Simon

Aug 8, 2005
    Hi everyone, Simon also from Fchat. I seem to be the only one here with no PPL but planes and cars have always interested me. My passion has always been military and classic aircraft. Grew up in parts of the UK where the RAF and the USAF regularly said hello in there Jaguars, Tornadoes, Hercules, Vulcans, A110's and the rest.

Cheers
    Simon

25. imported_AKS

imported_AKS Rookie

Aug 7, 2005
    Hi everyone, another Fchat member here. I don't have a PPL YET but it is near the top of my list of things to do when I finish school and have the money to do it. (with skydiving being at the top) My pops had a PPL and used to take me up all the time when I was younger and I loved it. I have a little of stick time in C-152s, C-172s, and C-182s.