I saw a B-17 in flight. | FerrariChat

I saw a B-17 in flight.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by open roads, Jan 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Around Okeechobee, Florida last Friday evening. I was driving the 456 back from Palm Beach and I see this thing in the sky at my 1 O'clock. I say to myself "What has four engines and is propeller driven?"

It is at about 2,000' and goes directly over me. I was looking strait up. I see a chin turret and Army Aircorps markings.

Couldn't get a tail #.

2. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    It may have been 1,000'. The thing looked big.

3. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    How did you guys like the sound of those four piston babies as it went by?

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I didn't hear it. I was driving with the windows up.

5. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    NOTHING beats the sound of round :)

It's awesome when one of our DC-4's fires up to go for a trip, EVERYONE on the field knows it! :D

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #6 Spasso, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    He sees a bomber with 4 radial engines on it and doesn't roll the windows down..................!!!!!:p
    Are you nuts?
    I get a lump in my throat every time I hear one.

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Yeah, I guess so.

At first it was questioning, slowly turning to stunned disbelief. I was trying very hard to make out some identifying feature and seeing a chin turret, then the Army Aircorps star.

I was so intent on making an identification that I didn't even think about pulling over or rolling the window down. It happened pretty fast. Maybe 15-20 seconds.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    They had a B-17 giving rides at Stinson here in San Antonio, and we enjoyed watching it take the old vets up. Later that day, I was flying the T-28 from Stinson back to Boerne, and was told by SAT ATC "Look out for the B-17 over the city in your 2 o'clock" -- there it was, about 1000 feet away, slightly low. I snuk as close as I dared in the Class C airspace, and let me tell you, it is as MAJESTIC seeing a B-17 air-to-air as it is on the ground!!!!!

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I know what you mean, Russ. Something that I fully enjoy is formation flying if it's done by trained participants. To be in the air next to several B-17's could never become a commonplace experience. You're right, the B-17 is a beautiful machine in the air.
    Did you miss my PM, Russ?
    Switches

10. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    There is a gentleman who lives close to me; Gen. William Lyon. He owns a B-17, B-24, B-25, B-26 and some others. (Pics have been posted here before.) Every so often his planes will come by and buzz the house. When I hear the sound of those 4 coming, and it is a distinctive sound, I will run outside to see the planes. Nothing like it seeing them banking so low and hearing them; that is the bonus.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I posted it before about a flight of five B-17's that seemed to have taken the roof off our house on Siesta Key when they came over at 100 feet. My mother was convinced that they were lost. The base at Sarasota changed to P-40's and P-39's so we heard a new sound. Finally they changed over to P-51's. It was a big air show for 4 years there during the war.
    Switches

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #12 TheMayor, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

My view was a little different ---
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I really need to fork the dough over for a ride the next time the Collings Foundation brings theirs through this summer. I think they were charging 400.00. Well worth it.
    I see their B-24 come through every year on it's way to another show. Great sounds!

14. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Just to mention that a good day is had where I reside approx. eight (8) miles north of Willow Run (built a few WWII bombers there), MI, where I see/hear their B-25, B-17, and C-47 transport coming and going - jeepers I LOVE it!
    Yankee Air Force "Thunder over Michigan" is an air show each summer that makes my calendar.

BTW - That's what Yankee Air Force appreciates as a donation for a B-17 ride, too. $400 clams. Do it.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    For some reason I just can't seem to get excited about plopping 400.00 down to ride in a B-17 or a B-24 but I wish I had the bucks to give to anyone who would want the experience. I had a few rides but the best vision was the sight of 30 of them coming over Langley in a combat box at 2000 feet so everyone could see AND hear them. Multiply that by 3 and put yourself in England when the 8th was at its peak and put together a 1000 plane raid. Can you imagine the awesome sound and sight of that? It took hours for them to pass. Wonder what the Germans thought. In one raid on Schwienfort (spl) they lost 60 bombers. That equalled 660 crew that went down and it was considered the price to be paid for the air offensive on Germany. That went on for three years. How times and thinking have changed.
    Switches

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, for me it was a small chance to see just a bit of what these guys did. And, I came away so incredibily impressed that anyone could actually fight a battle in one of these amazing machines.

Also, as a machine, it's just marvelous. It's so simple inside. It's so SMALL inside. The payload is so insignificant for the effort compared to the risk and sacrifice. All these things you cannot understand until you fly in one.

Add it all up and I felt honored to be able to ride in one.

Lastly, it was a childhood dream to climb in a B17 as it was my hero airplane when I was very young. When I got the chance to ride in one, nothing would have stopped me. It's something I'll remember forever.

But then, I do love airplanes! I can't help it.

17. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Bob I assume you were there with the 8th? Tell me how long did it take to get that many birds in the air and I would assume that the first group was half way to the target as the last ones were taking off?

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Sorry if I gave that impression. I have had much of that data drilled into me by bunking and serving with those from the 8th, 9th, 15th, and 20th air forces. Then I have read much about it. I made an error in my math about the 30 airplanes that formed up over Langley. I should have said 30 times thirty. I was merely relating what I learned from the guys with whom I spent time with on the ground and in the air. You are correct in the calculation of the big raids near the end of the war. Form up time was extensive and dangerous and used up a great deal of time and fuel. Collisions were often and deadly if the weather was bad. As the first groups left the succeeding groups formed up and departed and so it was repeated. I was at Langley Field, Va. in 1944-45 where they were conducting " Mickey" training...Low Level and High Level Precision Radar bombing with B-24's and B-17's. The crews that I was with should not have been flying anymore. They were sort of okay when they were sober but if they got a few drinks in them they were back in action. We had terrible incidents at times in the barracks with several "flack happy" drunks. One pilot that I flew with had a routine of throwing up before climbing aboard. He was 24 and had a full B-24 tour under his belt.
    I should stop spouting off if I am giving the wrong impression but I have vivid memories from my time in the service and I suppose that I say too much at times.

19. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Bob you continue to relate any and all stories. We are avid listeners and you deserve to be listened to.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, you have a PM.
    Switches

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #21 Bob Parks, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In our unpacking from our move I ran across this scrap when as 19 year old I got some art awards at Langley Field. I don't know if it will be legible, however.

22. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Last Thurs morning the Gooney Bird (C-47, Yankee Air Force, Willow Run, MI) went overhead northbound climbing (slowly). Damn what a fine sound, then sight! Majestic.

23. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    B-17 northbound out of Willow Run's Yankee Air Force today at 3:40 P.M. Must have been really warm up there as we hit 92 F this afternoon!