ICON Aircraft yes or no? | FerrariChat

ICON Aircraft yes or no?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ItalianOne, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    I have been on the waiting list for the new Icon Aircraft.. What do you guys think of this plane? Is it worth the money? Check out the website if you have never seen it before..

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What price are they quoting you?

What is your end goal in buying this aircraft?

What is your experience level with flying? Do you have a PPL? Do you have other ratings too?

If you are buying it for fun? To screw around with at the lake etc? Or are you buying it as a legitimate travel machine?

If you're buying it for fun then go have fun. I fly a lot and to me, flying around the pattern and screwing around is not fun. If I want to fly for fun, I'll get a Robinson helicopter or an ultralight or something. To me, the Icon is very expensive to be used as a "fun machine".

The Icon is not a travel machine. It's slow. It's not certified. It has no ice protection. It has very little useful load and range.

So, the answer to your question depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Everything in aviation "depends" on a lot of factors. There's a lot to consider.

3. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It looks like a nice toy if that's what you want. LSA's aren't serious aircraft, they are mostly toys, kinda like a jetski, fun to zing around in, but not much good for anything esle.

Looks typical of a company that has a lot of money to play with and they are promoting it pretty heavily. The unveiling was a lot of hype and I'm not big on hype..

This is being heavily pumped by the VC guys, JMHO, if they have money then they will succeed, they seem to have a lot so maybe it will be successful. The world of aircraft startups is strewn with failures of undercapitalized companies, so it's hard to tell if these guys will make it.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I agree...just from a practicality standpoint, I'd spend the $140K starting price on something a little more useable. There are a lot of very capable aircraft available for that much or less. I guess it's great if you all you want is a toy...but if that's the mentality behind the purchase, I feel obligated to say please, please be careful.

Now, if you're an experienced aviator and are just jones-ing for a seaplane, it could be a relatively easy way to get into that...

5. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #5 Jason Crandall, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    Solofast made an excellent analogy.

Icon is to an airplane what a jet ski is to a yacht.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's one of the Icon blurbs on their site;

"Jetski for the Sky"...

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I hadn't seen that, but that's about what it is. I can't carry anything, can't go very far and is pretty much a toy to zip around in for a while, but it's interesting that the maker thinks it is that too....

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Well, It's on only $100K+ brand new. Compared to the price of any legitimate Xcountry airplane, it's priced comparably for what it is.

Fun flying to me is the Robinson 44.
    http://www.robinsonheli.com/

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I flew one not long ago -- big mistake. Now I want my chopper rating!! Too much fun!

10. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I made the same mistake. So much fun.

11. ItalianOne

Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    4+ years since I posted this? I see the aircraft just got FAA approval. Looks like fun and a affordable way to be able to fly short distances.

12. ItalianOne

Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
  13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    For me no. When looking in that price range I settled on an RV-7. Much greater performance envelope ( but not amphibious or trailer able) IFR avionics avail, a great support network and more available. I'd like to fly the ICON though.

14. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I'd look at a Searey first.

15. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    They did just complete their first customer plane. It looks like they may have competition in the future though, provided this group can get further than cool graphics...

MVP.Aero - Home of the MVP amphibious Light Sport Aircraft

I think they fit well in the light sport aviation category. It is mostly for folks who enjoy flying, but have no desire to go anywhere, just get up in the air and enjoy the experience without all of the complications. That said, flying is not like riding a bike, or driving a car, things you can lay off from doing and pick up again slowly and safely. You are either flying or not and the consequences for casual intermittent flying are pretty high.

16. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $190K for ICON, $149K for Cessna 162 makes ICON look pretty good for a new aircraft. Problem is that you can get some really nice used aircraft for waaaay less and these used planes have been around forever so you know they will hold value. An ICON or 162 could drop value based on one bad incident.

Having said that, ICON sure looks like fun, and it's hard to be practical or put a price on fun.

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  19. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  20. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #20 nathandarby67, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Obviously the big draw is it being amphibious. Is there anything you can buy for similar money that can land on water? A used Cessna or Piper on floats perhaps?

I can confirm that the RC version flies just great!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    185F on amphibious gear. That's the ticket.

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    with a turbo-normalized IO550!;)

23. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Searey

24. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #24 Jason Crandall, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NürScud likes this.
  25. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would rather buy a Lakes amphibious and second plane than the 200K for a new LSA.