Helio Courier | FerrariChat

Helio Courier

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was at CEU (Clemson-that's right, those wonderful record setting Tigers) when I saw this plane out on the ramp. It looks very sinister up close and in person-I expected to see a red hour glass for the black widow on the belly. I understand that the plane is one of the slowest flying planes, maintaining control at as low as 28mph. The flaps on the leading edges I am told are gravity controlled, as the mechanic took a broom and pushed them up and back. I also noted a massive frame, almost roll cage, on the interior. Looked very safe, with the exception of the fuel bomb sitting on top. The windows are also large, allowing good visibility. Overall a very cool plane indeed. Anyone every flown or flown in one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have a friend who has one, and who has owned many of them in the past.

They are amazing airplanes-- he used to have a turbine Helio, and he would land and STOP on the runway numbers!

3. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Sweet looking machine. I've seen one before, but it was along time ago. The one I saw was piston powered unlike the one pictured. If I remember right, the leading edges actually deploy at higher angles of attack automatically. They basically get sucked out. It's possible for only one side to deploy, although uncommon I'm told. You'd have to be in a slip for that to occur I think. Anyways, maybe others have flown it. I'm sure that turbine version is an animal!
    Check out how small the ailerons are. Lot's of flap on that aircraft.

Nice pics,

Lou

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You can throw it into reverse on short final, or so I've heard... I don't know if that is an approved procedure or not.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Here's some videos that explains the features that make this plane a superb STOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15bGN0R-SHA&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n30rXGzx7zM[/ame]

Go to the end of this video around 7:35 and you will see why they call it a Helio!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzT6AhTM1fU[/ame]

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I believe that is Helio Stallion 001. The first Stallion made. Hard to believe it is almost 45 years old.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Seems that rings a bell. I was told that some a guest professor at Clemson showed up at the airport, and it turns out he was from MIT, and had designed that very plane. Amazing how it can just about hover. Seems perfect for those with limited space-say on the side of a mountain, etc.

8. wa98012

wa98012 Rookie

Nov 22, 2006
    Very reminiscent of the german Fieseler Fi 156 "Storch" STOL airplane. It had foldiing wings. Similar slat and flap setup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieseler_Fi_156

I've seen one of these at Paul Allen's collection in Everett, Wa

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I've seen the Storch fly at Fantasy of Flight. I've never seen this plane though. Thanks for sharing.

10. Doug J

Doug J Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    Helio Stallion HST-550/A, AU-24A-HE (18 constructed, c/n 001-018), 15 AU-24A-HE's were given USAF s/n 72-1319 to 72-1333. C/n's HST-1, 2, & 3 were the first 3 built as prototypes.

HST-1 was probably originally slated to be placed in the construction line and be recongigured as a civilian model c/n 005 of the stallions but due to lack of interest in the civilian market it never happened instead it was sold as a prototype in 1976 to a company in Avoca, PA calling itself "Air America inc" after some modification to civilian configuration with wing tip tanks. They re-registered it, some say appropriately, as N550AA but it was not taken up before it was exported in 1978 to Bogota, Columbia, HK-???. It was returned to the US civil registry as N550AA as the 2nd c/n 001 in 1997 by Atlanta Air Salvage. The original civilian extended Crash cage, Yoke flight controls, wing tip tanks, and one of a kind cowling were retained during restoration by Rodney Powers.

N550AA was originally HST-1 probably a PT6A-6 turbine due to its distinctive cowling and was the "factory prototype" it was built under U-10X program using U5-B twin crash cage, tail cone and flight controls originally N10038, then N9550A when it was bought. It is the civilian version N550AA "Black Stallion" presently owned by Tim Greene and one of two Helio Stallion still flying.

11. Doug J

Doug J Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    "no. 1 prototype HS-1
    erroneously given serial number 001 on return to USA actually prototype serial no. 1, built 05/64 as model HS-550, using incomplete H-500 twin, converted to N10038 (registry reused) HS-1 prototype no.1, HS-550 used to develop the type certificate for the Stallion. After a time in storage sold as N10038 s/n 1 an incomplete airframe '76, to company named Air America (Rik Luytjes) PA reregistered N550AA (later reused) parts used from prototype no. 2 to complete and installed PT6A-27 680 shp turboprop using (STC SA1481CE) becoming a HST-550A, accident pilot lost directional control after landing because of drifted snow on the runway @ Factoryville PA 3/78, seized by Colombian military for drug smuggling and registered FAC1116 in '82, sold to Servicio Aéreo a Territorios Nacionales (SATENA), '97 returns to US, as N550AA (reused) erroneous (2nd c/n 001), restored as HS-550A except crash-cage/fuselage, flt controls and distinctive HS-550 cowling, paint scheme all black, named the "Black Stallion" owner Tim Greene Cashiers, NC, (2nd black Helio of 2), civilian version of 2 still flying.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Interesting airplanes. Got a reputation for it's ability to deposit people working for Uncle Sam in very inconvenient, out of the way places.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Technology much like the Ryan Dragonfly and Fiesler Storch.