Anyone here have any Piper PA-31 (Navajo) time? | FerrariChat

Anyone here have any Piper PA-31 (Navajo) time?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Chupacabra, Apr 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    What was/is your general experience like?

Thanks!

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Slow truck.

Art

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Are you thinking of that instead of the Baron 58, or in addition to?

Another airplane you might look at is a Shrike (500) Commander. Relatively inexpensive to operate, nice cabin, and nice ramp presence. A Shrike will probably be cheaper to operate than a Navajo, too.

I see clapped out freighter Navajos all the time, so when you mention "Navajo" that is the image that comes to mind. They're not all like that, of course.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Either in addition to or in place of, not sure. I'm running into an issue with a good amount of people wanting to have at least 5 sellable seats, and I know that will be a little tight to say the least without going cabin class.

I have someone who is getting a 58 and is interested in doing a leaseback agreement with me once it arrives. So, I can either operate two 58's or use the opportunity to diversify a bit.

That is my general impression of Navajos, too, tough I have managed to find a few that are in good shape with fairly low total time (4-5K). Of course, if the Shrike is more economical, I'll have to consider that. Great looking airplane, too!

Thanks for the input, guys!

PS -- Art, was the one you flew just slow in general, or was the MP cut back so the fuel burn didn't put you in the poorhouse?

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My experience in the 135 world is that adding aircraft types adds quite a bit of complexity. If you already have one Baron 58 and can add another, I'd do that before I added another type.

If you don't have anything yet, then I'd look hard at the Navajo, and the Shrike. And, to be completely honest, a 414A, or maybe a 340.

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Nope, I have not pulled the trigger on anything just yet. I'm being super, super, overcautious about this purchase and am exploring every possible option and all that each aircraft brings to the table, good and bad.

The Beech route is definitely more economical than the available cabin class offerings, and so far no one has said, "No, I'm not flying in that." Plus, there's the ramp appeal and so on that we discussed in the other thread. I have several clients who would be doing weekly flights that would benefit from the cabin class fuselage, though. I'd hate to have to limit myself, but from what I'm seeing, people are operating Navajo Chieftans for about the same bread per hour as what I have quoted folks for the 58. Not sure how they're making that work.

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Navajo is a work horse, nice confortable non presurized plane, staying with Piper the Cheyenne I & II are the turbo versions that offer better flexibility at the same expense level
    ( turbines effectively are more economical to operate )

you are moving into a better revenue class of plane from the Baron, "the air stair sells" thought will generate more revenue... the Baron fills a niche, a cabin class fits all...

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art

9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    that's a good number for the Lycomings as I remember as well, that's where pressurization and turbines kick in and become cost effective, better climb out to more efficient altitude less time enroute ( faster )... the market place is not wrong, recips have gone away... though turbines cost more upfront and less in the long run...

10. Fullagas

Fullagas Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    All those 135 operators running Chieftains couldn't be wrong. I flew them in the 80's and 90's, passengers 98%, you couldn't ask for a more reliable workhorse. Rarely had a problem with the Lyc. 540, unlike the big TCM's cylinder woes (and we babied both).

I agree with donv though, mixing different types adds unnecessarily to the equation: pilot and mechanic training/learning curves, parts, etc. If the mission dictates it however, get the Piper. And they're not slow...

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I'd wager that any turbine going to cost significantly more than the piston models.