King Air unsuccessful engine out landing | FerrariChat

King Air unsuccessful engine out landing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #2 toggie, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow, sad. The plane flipped over so quickly.
    And they were so close to landing at the time.
    R.I.P.

Were both engines out or was one still making power?

Why did it flip over so quickly?
    Asymmetric thrust at too slow an airspeed or a stall when the ball wasn't centered?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The pilot is clearly spazzing and diving for the runway. Didn't follow his training in my opinion based on the video.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    My question also....or did the pilot do a sudden move and flip the plane?? It looked like he had almost made it and i dont believe a stall at the speed and altitude would cause a sudden flip over...was one engine still providing power???

5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The pilot declared a right engine failure after take off and that he was returning to the airport.

I think he got too anxious, rushed through the pattern and for some reason had full power on the left engine when he was about to touch down.

He had the runway made. Why have power on at all?

From another forum

"Jundiaí is my home airport. The crash was right in front of the Jundiaí Aeroclube, so a bunch of flight instructors and students was watching it, since many have a handheld radio and could follow the pilot talking to the tower. He reported "engine troubles" and said he was in an emergency right after taking off. Then he said that the troubles "were gone", but would like to do the traffic pattern and land at the same runway (36). At the downwind leg he reported "engine trouble" again, called an emergency and tried to land. According to these eyewitness, the right engine was not developing power. One of the flight instructors who rushed to the crash scene said later that no flaps were deployed and that apparently the pilot was not using the rudder trim. When he overturned he was at the same level as the runway (Jundiai, SBJD, is what we call a "aircraft carrier" like airport at both ends). I've never seen a crash filmed like that. It's sad, lots of young students and old pilots are still in a state of shock there, 24 hours after. RIP.

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    It looked to me like his approach was rushed and that in the final instant he was still pulling to get properly lined up after having already bled off too much airspeed and the plane stalled and snapped into a spin, but impacted almost immediately.

Terry

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    ooops are not allowed...

he forgot what he read in fine print in the "how to" book or didn't bother to read it...

typically the "how to" says to keep a bank into the good engine which in this case means left turns only... ( he was making a right turn to the runway )... the good engine is making a lot of power, had he kept the good engine low it would have prevented the plane from flipping... he also was making a relatively tight turn... single engine ( engine out ) landings are routine and no need for concern... unfortuantely pilot error...

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That was the first thing that came to mind, turning into the dead side AND a very tight high banked turn to boot. Asymmetric lift and power. He had one good engine and had enough control and power to have made a wide swing and a gentle turn to his left and set up a normal approach. Panic button should have been disabled. Excuse the armchair piloting.

9. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    no arm chair piloting... you have it correct... reality in face of a fatality may come across as harsh, but it is what it is. Engine out landings are routine, most planes fly nicely with one engine, there is no reason for this airplane not to safely land other than driver error

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Whatever the cause, may these souls rest in peace.