Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > AviatorChat.com

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
DMC DMC is offline
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: WI/IL
Full Name: Dean
Posts: 2,363
787 fire at Boston Logan

http://jalopnik.com/5973753/a-boeing...-logan-airport

Smoke was coming from cargo hold, no solid cause yet. The plane was at the ramp, no passengers were aboard.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
jcurry's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lk Stevens, WA
Full Name: Jim
Posts: 3,159
Some rather serious systems related teething issues with this airplane.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Jet-X's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orange County
Full Name: Brian
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurry View Post
Some rather serious systems related teething issues with this airplane.
Yep, not very reassuring, every plane has teething issues, but the A380 and the 787 have not had smooth entry into service.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
rdefabri's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,344
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/boei...id=msnhp&pos=1

I'd be worried, but then I'm a nervous flyer. I hate it. I make it a point not to fly on Airbus planes if I can avoid it...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Formula 3
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Full Name: Ferrari-tech
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefabri View Post
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/boei...id=msnhp&pos=1

. I make it a point not to fly on Airbus planes if I can avoid it...

That does not make you a nervous flier just a smart one
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
rdefabri's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRARI-TECH View Post
That does not make you a nervous flier just a smart one
Well, I spelled "flier" wrong, so I can't be that smart!


****EDIT - ok, maybe not per this site: http://grammarist.com/spelling/flier-flyer/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Formula 3
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Full Name: Ferrari-tech
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefabri View Post
Well, I spelled "flier" wrong, so I can't be that smart!


****EDIT - ok, maybe not per this site: http://grammarist.com/spelling/flier-flyer/
LOL i spelled it the same as you...spell check fixed it for me
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Full Name: Rob Guess
Posts: 8,762
Another JAL Dreamliner had a fuel leak today at KBOS.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/0...logan-airport/
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM
tazandjan's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Full Name: Terry H Phillips
Posts: 18,847
APU battery reported as the cause on the cargo bay fire. Fuel leak fixed on the other one and she departed soon after.

Just teething problems on a new aircraft.
__________________
Taz, Terry Phillips
Present: 575M 135171 Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125
Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Bob Parks's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Consultant
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shoreline,Washington
Full Name: Robert Parks
Posts: 3,759
My Garage
Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
APU battery reported as the cause on the cargo bay fire. Fuel leak fixed on the other one and she departed soon after.

Just teething problems on a new aircraft.
Having been there on 8 new Boeing airplane programs, I have to agree with you ,Taz. I was thinking about things that happened on each one and in the old days, the public never heard about them unless there was a crash. I can and have mentioned some bizarre things that happened on some of the programs but I have a feeling that there is some skill dilution in play here. Too many new young people with thin experience in the disciplines and control.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM
rdefabri's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parks View Post
Having been there on 8 new Boeing airplane programs, I have to agree with you ,Taz. I was thinking about things that happened on each one and in the old days, the public never heard about them unless there was a crash. I can and have mentioned some bizarre things that happened on some of the programs but I have a feeling that there is some skill dilution in play here. Too many new young people with thin experience in the disciplines and control.
I'd have to imagine there is data kept on the crash ratio by plane / manufacturer...I'd be curious to see these (although I should be careful what I wish for...I'm traveling in 2 weeks!!!).

Any idea if there's something public?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Full Name: Rob Guess
Posts: 8,762
Here is a photo from the area that the battery caught fire.

https://twitter.com/NTSB/status/2887...136448/photo/1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 42,001
My boss just flew a Dreamliner today from Tokyo to LA. He loved it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
jcurry's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lk Stevens, WA
Full Name: Jim
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast View Post
Here is a photo from the area that the battery caught fire.

https://twitter.com/NTSB/status/2887...136448/photo/1
Not related to the battery, but looks like they need some additional cabling support.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
jcurry's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lk Stevens, WA
Full Name: Jim
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parks View Post
Too many new young people with thin experience in the disciplines and control.
On 777 the design group hierarchy was really deep. Grunts were both new hires and experienced engineers (lot of contract guys). Leads almost all had prior new airplane development experience, i.e. 757/767. Principal engineers, above the leads, typically had multiple new airplane development experience. I doubt if the 787 had the same depth, especially in the vendor teams. Many of the the new hires on the 777 had already been promoted into supervisor/managerial roles, thus the design teams lost out on a lot of the lessons learned of seasoned veterans.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Jet-X's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orange County
Full Name: Brian
Posts: 3,967
United confirmed one of their 787 also had wiring problems yesterday.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Bob Parks's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Consultant
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shoreline,Washington
Full Name: Robert Parks
Posts: 3,759
My Garage
777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurry View Post
On 777 the design group hierarchy was really deep. Grunts were both new hires and experienced engineers (lot of contract guys). Leads almost all had prior new airplane development experience, i.e. 757/767. Principal engineers, above the leads, typically had multiple new airplane development experience. I doubt if the 787 had the same depth, especially in the vendor teams. Many of the the new hires on the 777 had already been promoted into supervisor/managerial roles, thus the design teams lost out on a lot of the lessons learned of seasoned veterans.
I worked from the start on the 777 when it was called the 767-X. When it really began to jell it appeared that the company trolled through every department and office and scooped up the best and most experienced gang they could find. I never worked with a more cohesive, dedicated, helpful, agreeable, and skilled bunch of people on any previous program. Mulally had a lot to do with that, too.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefabri View Post
I'd have to imagine there is data kept on the crash ratio by plane / manufacturer...I'd be curious to see these (although I should be careful what I wish for...I'm traveling in 2 weeks!!!).

Any idea if there's something public?

Here you go!

http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Gatorrari's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Full Name: Jim Pernikoff
Posts: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzporsche944s2 View Post
Well, four of the Boeings rank 3/4/5/6 and the best Airbus is 7, but newer aircraft like 777s and A330s are not included. I wonder if the 767 ranking includes Egyptair, which was suspected to be a pilot suicide?

I'm interested in the fact that one crash makes AirTran (which I fly often) seem comparatively unsafe, but that was back in the ValuJet days, so it probably shouldn't even count.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM
rdefabri's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorrari View Post
Well, four of the Boeings rank 3/4/5/6 and the best Airbus is 7, but newer aircraft like 777s and A330s are not included. I wonder if the 767 ranking includes Egyptair, which was suspected to be a pilot suicide?

I'm interested in the fact that one crash makes AirTran (which I fly often) seem comparatively unsafe, but that was back in the ValuJet days, so it probably shouldn't even count.
Agreed - the data isn't detailed enough to glean much.

Interesting nonetheless!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.