Classic Fighters 2013 | FerrariChat

Classic Fighters 2013

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by I16, Jan 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Everyone that I have spoken to that has been before says this is a great show, long way to travel but we are now booked!

Omaka Classic Fighters Airshow

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    That is a Haul. It looks like its great for the WW1 vintage planes, repro's I imagine. Not surprising they would have a Corsair or some P40's in that region. However because it is so far I would wonder how many of the North American and European based planes would be there. I made the trip to England in 98 to see the Spitfire Air Show where they had 21 spitfires flying at Duxford. Lots of other planes there flying and static.

In this case I would make the trip for the country and scenery itself but not specifically for the referenced airshow.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Being a WW1 guy, I would give my left nut to go, and will make it a Haj in a couple of years.
    It will be beyond terrific.
    Have fun!!!

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Russ- Fred Murrin works for Peter part time. Give him a call before you go and he can fill you in on the inside story.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks, Taz. Need to talk to him anyway, as looks like I am springing for a new build Gnome 100 that Tony is putting together. That will be interesting on the front of the Camel.

6. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    I am sure the clincher for the family was that we were able to book a cottage on a vineyard about 10 minutes from Omaka. We have a week or two to visit the North Island then down south for the same duration. Classic Fighters & Hobbits are just a great bonus!

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Between Omaka and Wanaka, New Zealand is warbird heaven! Too bad it's so far away from here.

8. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    The guys down there have it well worked out, WOW one year and CFO every second year.
    Have a look at Weta Workshop & Weta Digital for lots more about this great little country.

9. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #10 Bob Parks, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's something for you to make believe that your there. It is an impossible scenario but it is what the client wanted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Obviously Ernst Udet in the Siemens-Schuckert; did you have anyone in particular in mind in the Camel?

12. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #12 alexm, Mar 21, 2013
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    No one particular. Just some idiot who thought that his Camel would be a match for one of the aces of WW! in the equivalent of WW2's ME262.

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I would like to point out that it is not me.

Although it's been done many times, the most emotive Udet scenario, on many levels, is the encounter with Guynemer - at least to me.

15. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #15 I16, Mar 22, 2013
    Friend in New Zealand has just sent the following through..

BEECH WARE...
    We've been really looking forward to seeing the Beech Staggerwing that has been under restoration for Cam and Tracey Hawley at the southern end of the South Island. Just yesterday the final touches to her outer garments were revealed for all to see. What a stunning machine she is, wearing exactly the some colours she carried when delivered new to the Loneragan family of Mudgee, NSW, in 1936. The aircraft is due to arrive at Omaka mid next week. Owner Cam Hawley, who is something of a Staggerwing historian himself, is producing an exclusive feature on the aircraft to appear in a forthcoming edition of Classic Wings magazine. We are all excited about seeing the aircraft here at Omaka where it is set to reside for a while after the show. We're also hoping to have this 1936 C-17B parked next to Eric Hertz' 1947 G-17 to provide a good comparison between the models. What beautiful aeroplanes these are!

16. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #16 I16, Mar 22, 2013
    SECRET WEAPON!
    Part 2 has just arrived.

OK, we'll let the secret out now. Our 'weapon of choice' at Classic Fighters is one of the Third Reich's more daring strategies, and goes by the name of Bachem Ba349 'Natter'. This was a small rocket powered, piloted, aircraft designed to be fired towards the large numbers of US bombers that were being sent from England to carry out daylight attacks on industrial targets in Germany. On approaching the bombers, the pilot could launch his 24 nose-mounted rockets in the hope of destroying as many bombers as possible. The Natter was designed to be launched beside a supporting guide tower to ensure a straight trajectory. Power was provided by a pack of four rocket motors arranged about the tail of the aircraft. Our very clever props team have spent the last few months working on the construction of a very realistic replica of the Natter and the massive 14m (46 feet) tall tower from which an attempt will be made to launch the weapon in the defense of Berlin. This will take place on the Sunday of the airshow and as can be imagined, allied aircraft from the RAF, the US Army Air Force and Russia's Red Air Force will all be trying to destroy the launch site whilst the Luftwaffe's Focke-Wulf and Messerschmitt fighters will be trying to stop them! We can all speculate how this ends, or consult our history books for a better idea!

17. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #17 I16, Mar 22, 2013
    Part 3.

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN MEETS THE SOPWITH SORTIE....
    For the third time, we can look forward to seeing the amazing spectacle of the world's largest gathering of Fokker Triplanes in the air together as the folks from TVAL assemble 'The Magnificent Seven' machines representing the formidable Jasta 11 squadron led by Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron! Once again the allies will be bringing together what machines they have to defend themselves against the Fokker scourge. Whilst such machines as the elegant Bristol F2B Fighter, the unusual D.H.5 and the Nieuport to be seen on the field over the weekend, we will for the first time see the three most significant fighting scouts from Britain's best know WW-I aircraft company. The Sopwith Triplane, Sopwith Pup and the famous Sopwith Camel will all fly together courtesy once again, of the folks at TVAL who only completed two magnificent examples of the Sopwith Pup last year. These and other Great War aeroplanes, will be joined by some amazing period ground vehicles including WW-I tanks, trucks and armoured cars, and a very large contingent of soldiers in battle on the plains in front of the French chateau and its very realistic surrounding vineyards! And the battle begins....

18. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #18 I16, Mar 22, 2013
    Invercargill is at the bottom of the South Island of New Zealand but they do love their cars and WW2 aircraft.
    The Cadillac of the Sky - P-51 Mustang fighter plane - Pilot Robert Borrius- Broek and passenger Stephen Grellet (co-pilot) provide the lunchtime entertainment on Sunday. Both were drivers/competitors in the Jesco Historic Touring Car class at Teretonga over the weekend. Sundays programme was altered to accommodate this flyby. Below are photos of them both on track and several of them over the track.

19. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    The only manned vertical take-off flight on 1 March 1945 ended in the death of the test pilot Lothar Sieber.

That says enough for me.

20. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Magnificent all round I'd say!
    New computer wallpaper!

22. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #22 I16, Apr 11, 2013
  23. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Of all the really good looking recip fighters I always liked this one best. The Griffon powered late Spitfires just looked perfect to me.

I was really surprised the first time I saw one in person how small it was. Positively dwarfed by something like a Corsair.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Weiss' Jasta 11 Dr.I replica