F-22's Deployed to S. Korea | FerrariChat

F-22's Deployed to S. Korea

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by solofast, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    All two of them... Yea, that'll scare em...

I seem to remember that if we were doing some saber rattling you would send a couple of squadons not just two frickin airplanes...

Along with the 2 B-2's we sent the other day I'm sure the N. Koreans are shaking in their boots...

In today's politically correct environment we wouldn't want to put something out there that was too much of a provication would we.

Something Teddy said about speaking softly and carrying a big stick...

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    #2 kylec, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    I think this is more for the South Koreans than the North. There are B-52s flying now and I would bet money there is a SSGN submereged off the coast of the North.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SF- With JDAMs, those F-22s can do more damage than the 2 squadrons of fighters would have with dumb bombs. Plus with virtually zero risk at night.

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Not arguing the capability, they can do a lot more, but come on, it's just two airplanes guy's, if the idea is to show some force that's not the way to do it. Land 100 F-15 there for a day or so and make some noise..

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Or F16s...and half the amount you state as I can only count 50: File:F-16 Kunsan AB Elephant Walk.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

100 of them would be a huge waste of fuel imo just to try and intimidate them.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There are just 2 F22s built so far or just 2 deployed over there?

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Two deployed...they aren't building them anymore. 2 of 180 something out there I think.

8. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    This north korean escalation is quite fascinating. I don't see the obvious way out of this. I'll gladly see that crazy regime fall but I am worried about what may happen before that occurs.
    In any case I don't think the usual power rhetoric applies. I doubt they would stop even if the US sends the death star in low orbit (although that would be cool...)

Hopefully the Chinese will stop him before lives (and a lot of money) are sent for nothing. Everybody will be a loser there.

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I think this is about saving face for the North at this point. It's good we seem to be taking them seriously.

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Id bet there are more then one submerged on that coast...

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This time they will not get away with sinking a boat, shooting soldiers in the DMZ, or shelling an island. Everybody is sick of them, even the Chinese, maybe especially the Chinese. That is just what the Chinese did not want, a US build-up in what they consider their pond.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I feel that we are witnessing a nation collectively being run into the ground by a bunch of psycho's who have no ability to function in a normal relationship with anybody. For a leader to starve his country to death is unforgivable. I feel that this is eventually going to cause an internal collapse

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The problem is that the North Korean people have been isolated for so long, they have effectively been brainwashed into believing everything that their egotistical leaders have been telling them. If they really knew how bad off they were, they would probably revolt immediately.

And their "million man army", whose sole purpose in being is to conquer South Korea (if we weren't around to keep that from happening), is the closest thing on this planet to the Clone army in the "Star Wars" saga.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I guess that I am not as current as you are, Taz. I just go on what I perceive. I think that you are correct in the assessment of the North Korean people their having been so isolated for so long. Well, I think you have the clue to the plot and I am just going to watch.

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    reading some more recent "escape" stories, paints a picture of overall dislike for their government, being motivated by fear not allegiance, among the population ....with some international pressure, and enough internal change, perhaps we will yet see non-war change in N korea, like occurred in Berlin! let's hope!

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    those in the know think the chinese are really behind this escalation. there is a quiet "conflict" going on between vietnam, phillipines, japan and china over south china sea oil. thats where the real conflict will be. classic fight over oil.

17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    you're of course right, sadly it's the population that will get caught in the middle

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Edward- No, I think that is 180 degrees out. The Chinese have enjoyed their little pit bull on a leash in the past, but not now.

Who are those in the know? Nobody in the defense community.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    taz, total misreading of the situation by the people you are talking to. chinese have total control over n. korea
    the n. koreans only want food from this manufactured crisis. whatelse would they have to gain?
    keep your eye on the chinese, they are on the move.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Are you implying that they will march into North Korea and take over? Assuredly, they realize that South Korea is no threat to them if they just leave them alone.

Meanwhile, those F-22s will apparently be grounded (by sequestration) when they get home from Korea.....

21. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober

Rodman didn't help. Maybe we need to send Jay Z and Beyonce next

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The minute Dennis left NK, Little Un effectively declared war on us...

What worries me, is that Dennis Rodman says he's going to visit the new Pope next. Don't think the Vatican has nukes... We going to end up with a plague of locusts?