Recommendation For Finishing Up Instrument Rating | FerrariChat

Recommendation For Finishing Up Instrument Rating

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by juliei, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Am a private pilot (since 2010) with 350 hours and just passed my Instrument Rating Airplane written test. I have way more than 50 hours cross country as PIC, but need to finish up the balance of the requirements. Any suggestions/personal experiences as to the best way to accomplish my goal by the end of this year or sooner? Has anyone used Professional Instrument Courses at Home | PIC Aviation Services, Inc. to finish up?

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I did my PPL in 6 weeks, IFR in 2 weeks, ME in 2 weeks, Commercial in 2 weeks……

Just get an instructor and go fly. If you've already passed the written the worst is behind you. I'd knock out the rest of your requirements in 3 days.

3. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Well, I might be a little slower than you, but I am going to get an instructor and just do it. Thanks!

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh geez

5. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I was a LOT slower. In fact, my IFR took 6 months! Having said that, of course the most important part is finding a good instructor. I will add that please try and fly in some real IMC with an instructor before you get signed off. The hood is really not good enough IMO. IFR was frustrating to me but it was extremely rewarding. I honestly can't imaging flying now without having an IFR ticket.

6. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Jason, how long from initial flight to IFR ticket? Your progression was meteoric! I thought I was pretty fast, but nope.

7. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I started in May with no experience and by October I had all my ratings. I took a little time off between ratings. This was in 2007.

But seriously, once you start a new rating you need to power on through. I forget too much taking a few days off. Commit the time, get a young kid instructor who has nothing else to do and just fly all day.

The instructor I learned with would meet me at the airport at 6am and we'd stop at 6pm.

I used a different instructor for my ME and it was so annoying. He'd want to fly for an hour or so and then go back and debrief etc. Sitting and talking in a classroom really teaches me nothing. I need to be hands on. You need to find the right instructor.

A formal program like you linked is not necessary. Just go to a small local airport and get an instructor.

8. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That wasn't me that linked. I did the same thing you did, in '08, but you got there faster. I rifled through four planes in the process. You probably did that and more.

9. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've had an Archer, Cirrus, TN G36 Bonanza and now the PC12NG. I'm holding for now because anything bigger requires 2 pilots. The Phenom 300 is next logical step or wait til all the new "fully digital" jets get on the market. I'm not going backwards to Collins Pro-line CJ3. I'd rather wait a little longer.

10. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I went 172, Archer, Saratoga II TC, Matrix, Meridian. I would like to move up, but I have a limiting factor at my airport, KYNG (Youngstown, OH)...no hangar space. Fantastic airport, towered, AF base, 9,000' crosswind runways....but, no hangars and a weak FBO. The port authority built some T hangars, and I got them to extend one to 48' wide so that my Meridian would fit, but I only have 12' high doors...the Meridian is 11'4" on the tail. The absolute only other thing that will fit is an Eclipse. I flew one and was very surprised how much I liked it. Had a lot more function than I expected, but I'm only comparing it to a Meridian, not your PC12, or a TBM, both of which I've flown and would love to own.

Maybe you could go backwards to the Citation M2 or a CJ3 for a change of pace, though I believe you would miss the flexibility of the PC12 on your frequent fuel stops.

11. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You should join BeechTalk - Beechcraft Owners & Pilots Group Web Forums. It really has become the best "owner operator" forum. There's a great Eclipse thread there. I wouldn't buy an Eclipse unless you want to use it as a coffin when you die.

Can you build your own hangar on the airport? I know I can at my base airport in SC.

12. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My experience is that most of the owner's forums to be heavily biased toward their brand....and I'm a board member of MMOPA, and they are no different. I have a handful of friends that have come out of Meridians, TBMs, and even a Mustang, that own Eclipse and love them. The new company has made continual improvements, particularly in the 550, but again, the owner's I know are biased. One must do their own research and form their own opinions.

I see you are at Charleston. I usually go into Atlantic there. Nice people. At my home airport in Ohio, the annual land lease is prohibitively expensive to build your own hangar. I suppose that is why they have chased away any potential development. Acres and acres of undeveloped potential. The only thing worse is Hilton Head. I have a home there, and Signature is just nuts on Jet A, like they are everywhere, even with a hometown discount.

13. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Beechtalk guys are really very cool. There are tons of meridian, eclipse, Pilatus, commander etc owners there. All are welcome. I'm not kidding. Everyone there loves talking airplanes. I'm on Popa and it's not the same as beechtalk.

14. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    OK, I'll have a look, thanks. And I'll respond to your PM as soon as I get up off the floor. Can't believe it! In the meantime, we had better cease the hijacking of this thread...

15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is all I need to know...especially the "kid instructor " part. Sorry Jason this is the most asinine advice you should ever give a new pilot. I have seen way too many people with more money than aeronautical sense end up in a smoking hole than I care to remember. This is NOT the way to do it.

16. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Thanks, dmark1. I was thinking over the "kid instructor" thing and decided it was probably not for me, but your advice helps. I also appreciate the advice about flying in real IMC. I totally agree. Will keep you posted as soon as I make a decision on how to proceed. I am definitely leaning toward PIC. I have talked to two local instructors and they seem enthusiastic but never get back to me on committing seven to ten days with me. I think I need to "power through it" as well. When you stop and start, you lose a lot, learning from my private pilot training.

17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The key is consistency in training not speed. While I agree TRAINING can be moved along at a good clip, you need time to practice the things you've learned until they have become second nature to you and you need to experience the myriad different variables that weather can throw at you. Remember aviation has been around a long time and the prudent new (or older) pilot will always be in a learning mode. You never stop being a student.

One other thing: use several instructors. You will find that different instructors have different teaching methods and you will benefit from each of their experiences. I found that I learned a little from each Captain I flew with, and each added something to my education of how to do it right (or wrong, unfortunately!). Good luck and keep us posted.

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I'll just say some of we mere mortals have to work and do other life tasks not just fly, so Jason's schedule is a bit, um, impractical and dare I say back-patting (don't wrench your shoulder, stud).

19. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #19 Jason Crandall, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Why? Is sitting around doing 1 lesson a week a better way?

It worked for me. Why am I not a smoking hole?

Lot's of pro-pilots killing themselves and making bad decisions in the last year. Have you been watching the headlines? It's not a black and white subject. Aspen Challenger crash had 3 pro pilots on board that I'm sure did their training the "long way". I've landed in Aspen at least 20 times and never came close to doing something as dumb as what they did.

It's not "black and white". The answer to every question in aviation is ..... "it depends".

20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Well most people aren't the super god pilot that you are Jason.

BTW how large is the cockpit in the PC12? Must be pretty big to accommodate that ego of yours...;)

21. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Dude, seriously.... You're one personal attack after another. What gives?

22. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Take a joke bro. Nobody gives a damn here...

23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Tell a joke. Say anything remotely funny. I'm in.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had the last post.

25. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Jason, FYI:

I earned a Bachelors degree in 24 months
    Masters in 12 months
    PhD in 24 months

Soloed at 16 years old
    PPL at 17 years old
    MEL at 18 years old
    Rotorcraft-Instrument at 21 years old

I concur, "no one gives a damn."

I'd lose the super ego.
    You'll be a better person for it.

Quickly earned ratings alone does equal a competent pilot - that applies to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk