Wing Panel-No mention of the actual plane manufacturer | FerrariChat

Wing Panel-No mention of the actual plane manufacturer

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Saw this news item from 3 different sources.

I think this is the first time that the type of plane or manufacturer is not in the story in any story that I found.

Usually that info is in the headline.

Delta Plane Loses Part of Its Wing - Yahoo

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That flight usually operates with a Boeing 757.

The panel in question was probably an access panel that is routinely removed; perhaps the last service crew didn't tighten the fasteners properly. Those panels are non-structural, and the aircraft can fly perfectly well (if a bit slower) without one.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim is correct. It was a light weight honeycomb panel over what appears to be the landing gear actuator lug on a 757. Much ado about nothing.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks like a fixed TE panel. Not normally removed for routine maintenance. Given the number of fastener holes that you can see around the edge, I think it was more than just not tightening the fasteners properly. More like not putting the fasteners in.

The more concerning thing is the couple items (wires, plumbing?) that can be seen hanging out in the breeze.

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the incident is not a liability of the plane manufacturer, has nothing to do with the manufacturer, it is a maintenance issue with the aircraft operator... Delta, was mentioned as the operator and is their responsibility

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There are several levels of removable panels on any modern aircraft. On the F-14, they were referred to as "daily" and "weekly" panels, though that didn't necessarily pin down the frequency of their use; the terms are relative.

"Daily" panels were often hinged and were latched by quick-release fasteners, usually of the quarter-turn variety, like Dzus or Camloc. "Weekly" panels were attached with screws or bolts that were removed with screwdrivers and went into permanently-attached nutplates. Typically these used a head recess different from the slotted and Phillips recesses used in common everyday usage. Often the design included shims so that all of the fasteners could be of the same length.

There might be other panels that could be called "monthly", though I never heard the term used. These would be panels that would not be removed for normal service but could be if needed. They were usually attached with screws or bolts as well, but sometimes with a type of head recess that could be called "one way" - easy to install but more difficult to remove, and requiring special drivers to do it.

Omitting fasteners can be deadly - some years back an ASA Embraer Brasilia crashed fatally when part of one of the stabilizer leading edges came off in flight. Investigation revealed that the part had not been fastened properly after routine maintenance.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I recall some years back when a Boeing airplane was involved in an incident and a Boeing mechanic was asked about it by a TV commentator. He said, " It's not our airplane anymore. It was perfect when it left the factory. Who knows what the operator did to it."

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree that it's the operator's responsibility...

That's almost always the case, but also, almost always the news article cites the manufacturer, as if it's thier fault.

I was just commenting that this is one of the rare times that the headline wasn't

"Panel fails in flight on a Boeing airliner"...

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That panel is in an area of low pressure and turbulent airflow. If it isn't tightly fastened it will be yanked out of its location.