"A Gathering of Eagles" on DVD - with a catch: | FerrariChat

"A Gathering of Eagles" on DVD - with a catch:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Apr 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you have the right equipment, you can now get the classic Strategic Air Command movie "A Gathering of Eagles" on DVD.

The catch? It's a Spanish release on PAL video, so you need a multi-system DVD player to watch it.

According to the specs I saw, it has both an English and Spanish soundtrack in Dolby Digital, as well as subtitles which I hope can be switched off.

I don't know why the powers that be can't release this on an NTSC disc, but until it happens this will have to do. And if you're not familiar with the movie, read the reviews on Amazon's website. Even the SAC veterans liked it.

Amazon.com: A Gathering of Eagles [Region 2]: Henry Silva, Rock Hudson, Rod Taylor, Mary Peach, Barry Sullivan, Kevin McCarthy, Robert Lansing, Richard Anderson

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Incidentally, another movie that has never been issued on DVD here is also theoretically available from the same source: "Men of the Fighting Lady" with Van Johnson and Walter Pidgeon. Again, it is a Spanish PAL release, but Amazon lists it as currently unavailable.

Amazon.com: Escuadrilla Heroica (Men of the Fighting Lady)

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I am on Amazon.co.uk a lot looking for stuff not available here. Don't even need a different login account.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It's available on VHS, provided you have a functioning tape player still.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    And one of these to make it a DVD. VHS player RCA plugs to little box to USB to computer. Out pops a DVD that works great. Some DVD players even make it look better than the original VHS. Works great, but converts in real time.

Amazon.com: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe: Software

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting looking device. I use a JVC multi-region DVD recorder which has a built-in VHS player, so I can watch VHS tapes and record them onto DVDs.

8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I caught about the last 30 minutes of that one on TCM just a couple of days ago.