Looking for a top shelf headset/ear protection | FerrariChat

Looking for a top shelf headset/ear protection

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MotorMouth, Jun 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am looking for the best ear protection headset on the market and I can only assume that pilots would be the target market and know a great deal about what is what. I will be using these while operating machinery. I currently use $100 sets of peltor brand fm radio over the ear, ear protection that are just a passive noise canceling. They seal well and cut out a lot of noise but I'm looking for better. It seems like these high end active noise canceling units don't really bother combining the active canceling with the old school passive ear protection like equipment or shooting range head sets do. Maybe this is for comfort, I just want silence! If I spend $1000 on a set like the bose I will be supremely disappointed if they don't cut out more noise than my cheap ear protection. Also I would like 2 way radio capability and plug in for music. Or should I just stick with my old school ear protection/radio sets.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    There is way more than I have time to type up right now..... But you are gonna want to look for something with a listed NRR (noise reduction rating) which is how OSHA / NIOSH rates hearing protection. For instance my David Clarke headset has a NRR of 23dB and when you add earplugs you get a total of 28dB reduction. The total reduction isn't just the sum of the two, for safety purposes you take the greater hearing protection NRR and add another 5, there are some online calculators if you care.

Funny thing about the Bose aviation headset..... It doesn't have a NRR that I can find and when I tried to talk to their customer service they had no idea what I was talking about. Having said that I have two Bose Aviation headsets (one old style one new) and for aviation use they can work very well with the active noise cancellation. Without it they are mediocre but for certain types of steady noise the active cancellation is outstanding.

For what it's worth I always use double hearing protection and make sure to insert ear plugs correctly, most people don't. Noise around the plane can be over 130dB and even with double protection the OSHA limits something like 30 minutes a day if you are outside the plane exposed to max noise. I really recommend double hearing protection for any loud environment.

What kind of noise are you trying to protect against? Without more details I really wouldn't recommend dropping $$$ on the Bose without knowing more.

When I'm at home I have a set of fairly inexpensive AM/FM headset that I use with earplugs and I'm pretty happy with it.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I shot long range rifles competitively for years and David Clarke was the best I could ever find in ear muffs. Really good plugs will do as much or more. Getting the doctor made, custom fit to your ear canal type is the best. The combination of the two can in some ways be dangerous. There are few places you need such complete noise muffling and not being able to hear voices or machines isn't advisable in my opinion.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been using Lightspeed active noise canceling headsets for aviation in recent years. They work very well, and are quite comfortable. The newer ones have bluetooth audio so you can stream from an iPod.

However, Mark is right-- you need to understand what sort of noise you're trying to cancel. Aviation headsets are generally good at canceling low rumbling noises, and are actually designed to let some high pitch sounds come in-- so you can hear a person speaking, for instance.

I'd find a demo unit and try it with the machinery before buying. If there is an avionics shop near you, they should be able to help you try some different headsets.

5. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #5 MotorMouth, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Thanks. To be more specific, I have large commercial mowers, excavators, tractors and other hydraulic equipment that can produce a rather high pitched hydraulic whine in addition to the engines which are just plain loud. I don't use ear plugs. I really like to find something that is quiet enough on it own. My current peltor fm radio ones, seem to cut out enough noise for a while until they get stretched out. They are 26 nrr

6. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'm a big fan of Bose and Lightspeed ANR headsets and own a pair of both.