Sometimes some things are just plane (sic) cool.. | FerrariChat

Sometimes some things are just plane (sic) cool..

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by alexm, Jun 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #1 alexm, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    .. and too awesome not to post up and share.

The DC-3 (C-47) crashed, major repairs done on-site and flown out of Antarctica is a pretty hard act to follow!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/aviatorchat-com/451634-lidia-c-47-a.html

What have you seen done that is so cool, unusual, awesome or fun in your eyes you'd like to share?

While this is nothing like the C-47, I saw this pic float past in my FB feed just now and put it forward as an example that appeals to me as something you don't see every day!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
  3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    #3 kylec, Aug 18, 2014
  4. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They are my absolute favourite seaplane.. I want to progress to seaplane rating.

Interesting thing going on with the shape of the wing tanks there.. wonder what that is about.

5. Jcarson

Jcarson Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Tortola, BVI
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #5 Jcarson, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

I might be mistaken but I believe those are jet skis stowed up under a protective cowling - The surf company Quiksilver used to have one of these with jet skis up under the wings - maybe this is the same plane...I don't know

Found a link http://quiksilver.seaplaneops.com/mockpressrelease.htm

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very beautiful picture and plane.

This is my favourite seaplane.

:)

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Indeed!

I was wondering how they did the drop/lift of them but I see from the link it's an electric winch.

Great idea if you're out to have fun with them and don't mind a splash to do it.. wonder what best/smart way to get to/from if you don't want to get wet and you're parked out a ways with no pickup boat.

8. Jcarson

Jcarson Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Tortola, BVI
    Full Name:
    Josh
    As I recall a few of these guys had small inflatable boats (dinghies) with paddles or even very small 5-10hp outboards to get them from the plane to the dock or shoreline. The ones I have seen were very cheap and very lightweight - one guy could easily carry them around

Edit: - there was enough room inside to keep the small dinghy inflated so once you were moored you could toss the inflatable out and head out

9. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #9 alexm, Oct 5, 2014
    Just back from Switzerland..

Pic 1 - Military airstrip near Interlaken https://goo.gl/maps/zl4a6
    While coming down the mountain incredible noise of jets taking off but impossible to stop till at bottom.. you can see the interesting "hills" not far from takeoff and sound lasts seemingly forever in the valleys.

Pic 2 - While walking around top of Jungfraujoch just managed to snap jet flying nearby.. had been hearing a few around that morning but had been difficult to spot in the open easily and sometimes the noise seems to come from every direction making it harder to find where to look first.. as it was it was just in zoom & focus range and moving away rapidly.

10. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10 alexm, Oct 17, 2014
    Some pics from the past weekend..

Excuse my indulgence here.. but I was VERY happy getting something consistently right for the first time and that was bugging me for the past 2 sessions.

That was also the weekend of major car races at Bathurst and neat aerobatic display by the Roulettes and and F/A 18.

The jet was quick and the camera I had was slow.. so I was lucky to get overhead shot of it banked at 90deg into the sun in frame let alone focus.. then again later was funny to get the jet up on the big screen in same frame as it going past in real life.