Happy trip turned tragic | FerrariChat

Happy trip turned tragic

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Teen, Family Friend From Upstate Killed In AZ Plane Crash - WSPA.com

I don't know why Julie asked me a few weeks ago if I every knew anyone that had perished in a plane or car crash. I said no to plane, but yes, auto of course. I'm sad to say that we all probably know of someone that has been killed in an auto accident.

Well, just a few days later I had to say I knew someone who perished in a plane crash. I cannot believe it. We always like to talk to folks at the airport (KAND and KCEU). It's kind of like Ferraris. You meet the neatest people because of the them.

This past winter we noticed a really nice looking black and white M20- a 1961 M20B N74584. I like Mooneys. Where else can you get good speed and low fuel burn in an aircraft that age? And they look good, even with the tail turned.. as I have read what everyone but Mooney and Mooney owners would say is backwards. So it was fun talking to Mike about his new purchase, and how he was really enjoying it to the max. He said it was an incredible deal especially for the capabilities of the plane.

Just a few weeks ago we saw him out by his hanger, and stopped by to chat. We asked if he had any major flights planned and he excitedly talked about something he had always wanted to do. He told us about his cross country trip he was taking next week to California and back. He had always wanted to see the country from his own plane, and his new Mooney was going to make that possible. We chatted about our recent fight over the Grand Canyon in a SR20, and mentioned he should land at 1G4 Grand Canyon West and check out the Skywalk.

A few days ago Julie called me to say you will never believe what I just found out. It was tragic, tragic, tragic. Not just for Mike but for the 15 year old young man that was with him. His wife had been along, but flew out as she had to get back for work.

Coincidentally, this weekend I was talking to a pilot from KCEU who had just been in Page AZ for a Touring Motor Glider convention. As he was fueling, two civil air patrol members just happened to walk pass him and mention that they had just found the location of the Mooney that went down. He had just a few days prior met a German couple who flew through Page with their Mooney to tour the US and he was so afraid it was them. He had no idea that the tragedy was much closer to home.

I admired him for the way he would take care of his plane, even snapped a picture of him cleaning the greasy belly that I meant to email him. He loved his plane and loved to fly, it was obvious.

It is a sadness.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Beautiful machine.......R.I.P.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Very sorry to hear about your friend... RIP.

4. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Very sad. Especially with someone so young onboard. RIP.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    RIP - sorry to hear :(

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Juan- Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, I am above one hundred for people I knew who died in aircraft crashes. Out of a 5 man weapons shop at RAF Lakenheath, only two of us are still living and two died in fighter accidents, one in an F-111D (night radar altimeter malfunction) and one F-5E (radome folded back and took him out on a dive bomb pass).

Your first one is always the worst, so I feel for you.