Low landing approach by Turkish F-16 | FerrariChat

Low landing approach by Turkish F-16

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by toggie, Jul 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Here is a low landing video of an F-16 at an airshow.
    The spectators on the ground are 500 feet from the start of the runway.
    Airshow was the Waddington International Air Show in the UK on July 5, 2014.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNoupIF5SU]Turkish F16 EXTREMELY low landing RAF Waddington airshow - YouTube[/ame]

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    My ears are ringing!

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My guess English aviation enthusiasts are the most hard core you can find.

When I was at the U of A, I volunteered at DM to give a once a month all day tour of the boneyard.

Most of the bus was full of English aviation nuts. They would stay all night if given the option.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    That seems really dangerous, if there is any misjudgment of sink rate I doubt you can add power quick enough. Interesting that the speed brakes seem to be open, maybe that's normal? I'm curious what Taz has to say.

5. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How hot is it when exhaust that close?

I would have thought at the least "highly uncomfortable" even at low settings and moving past?

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Probably not that bad at a low power setting, like the worlds grossest biggest hair dryer. I base this on having jet engine exhaust blow by at a number of air shows as aircraft taxi out. Also a few years ago I had an F-16 go over me at maybe 100' with the burner going when I was in my Corvette convertible. It was really really loud but that was about it.... Somewhere on a backup hard drive I have some pics of it. The road to the golf course at Randolph AFB went right past the end of the runway. They didn't want you to stop but with just a little careful timing you could be right there when the planes went by.

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting..

I think the closest a civilian can routinely get is Maho Beach, St Maarten? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIJ0F62og4

Some of the takeoff videos show a hellacious sand blasting for those determined to cling to the fence right behind the plane.

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    That is very close and is widely known but there are lots of places you can get close at fields in the US.

Here in Arkansas a couple of runways at the Little Rock airport (Bill & Hillary Clinton National) stop pretty much right at the river and boaters can park right there to fish. A few weeks ago we were over there doing touch and gos and a woman in a boat was flashing us, it was close enough to see nipples.

9. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Puts a whole new meaning on touch and goes or indeed how many you needed to complete your mission!

10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Jesus...!