Very sad to see an old friend like this... | FerrariChat

Very sad to see an old friend like this...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 903L, Jul 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    #1 903L, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My son sent me these pictures of my old '56 AC560HC Aero Commander. He found them on the web somewhere. N2774B was my most favorite plane I ever owned. I can't even begin to describe the fun I had flying her around. She had a sketchy history as a pretty successful dope plane in the late '70's and '80's. She was ratted off by a general contractor who was building a home and airstrip for the smuggler. The smuggler had not paid for some work so the contractor went to the DEA. Bad luck for the smuggler, good luck for me at the auction. Though when I owned her, she had a much nicer white with silver/blue paint scheme. In any event, the story is that she was being flown from Montana to Florida to be hidden due to some nasty divorce proceedings. She suffered a number 1 engine failure, as evidenced by the feathered prop and gobs of oil on the lower #1 cowling, good 'ol GO480 Lycomings, and was set down at an airport in Mississippi. While waiting for repairs, Hurricane Katrina came along. The rest is obvious.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    #2 903L, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another picture of N2774B. For some reason, I could not get both to post. I don't know, maybe she would buff right out. Whada'ya think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Always sad to see something like that. My condolences...

Given what early piston Commanders are worth these days, I'm sure she's been recycled by now.

4. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    No doubt. Hopefully into Red Bull Energy Drink cans. She ran on 80/87 and later was OK with 100LL because the HC's had hardened valve seats. She had the auto altimeter carbs and drank 50 gph. When I owned her, avgas was $1.10 per gallon. She was a wonderful plane. Nothing sounds like 12 cylinders of geared Lycomings exhaling through straight pipes into 4 augmentors. The memories still give me chills. A more stable hands on IMC platform does not exist. When I was selling her, numerous guys in suits and Cadillacs came to see her. Whenever I saw a suit or fancy car, I knew these would not be the people to buy her. One day, a long haired guy in shorts, sandals, and a T shirt driving a beat to **** '80's Camaro pulled up. He was a DC-3 jump plane pilot from Lodi, CA. I knew right away he would be the,"Guy that would buy", and I was right. I asked him what he was going to do with her. He said he was going to fly people from Cameron Park to work in San Jose. I asked if he was going to attempt to put her on a 135 cert. and if so, this may not be the plane for him. He said,"Nope, it is going to be shared expenses only. But, the van ride from the airport to their place of work is going to be crazy expensive."