Home-Built | FerrariChat

Home-Built

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MolsonB, Jul 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MolsonB

MolsonB Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm currently in the process getting my pilots license this year, and looking at the home-built plane options. I've always been into cars, building and fixing and racing. My instructors say I’m a natural with flying as I have a love (and respect) for anything mechanical.

My checklist would be..
    →2 seats is fine (mostly dog and I, the odd gf)
    →Good distance for semi-long trips (800+nm),
    →150mph+ (I want to get to the destination, 200mph would be nice to keep up with Ferrari, but if that means it takes 30mins longer and saves the gas, I’m ok with that.)
    →Turbo diesel (DeltaHawk for example, I want to use jet fuel over 100LL. Thinking ahead of the future)
    →Around $100K-125k when complete

The 3 main contenders for home-built are…
    ♦Van’s Aircraft (RV-9A, 10)
    ♦Team Tango XR
    ♦Velocity XL

If I want to miss out on the experience of building, the others I was looking at
    Cesena 182, Cirrus SR20, ……

What do you guys think, any experience with the home-builts? Next week, I’m hoping to take an impromptu trip and visit TeamTango and Velocity.

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is "building it" your main motivation? Or "using it"?

Do you care about ever being able to sell it?

The planes you listed would be rough for an 800NM flight.... Do any have AC?

3. MolsonB

MolsonB Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Using it is my main motivation, the building it would just be fun. What's life without any experiences. I don't care about the selling factor, just like cars, there is no money to be made in toys..

Rough as-in, the ride quality would be bumpy, or the distance would not be fun to sit for that long?

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If your goal is "legitimate transportation" none of the planes you listed are gonna work. They are fun planes but more along the lines of a "jet ski" as opposed to a motor yacht.

I've made money on all my planes. Just gotta do your homework. You absolutely won't make money on a homebuilt. I love flying but have no desire to build an airplane so I'm not sure "life experience" is something that should play into the equation unless you love to "wrench". Lot's of stories of "unfinished homebuilts".

In your budget, I'd get a TurboNormalized V Tail Bonanza. They don't make them anymore. They are absolutely classic and everyone on the ramp will be envious of you and they haul ass and have amazing range if you add tip tanks. And when you want to sell, It'll be gone in a week.

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Can you really get a turbo Bonanza for $125K. Will it have decent avionics? An engine that is reasonable time? What are the costs all-in to fly per hour?

I recently purchased an RV-7 and it is much more a jet ski than motor yacht. Wife took one look with the sticks and bare metalwork inside and said NFW is she ever getting in it. Perfectly fine for 200 mile trips, cruises under 10 gph at 160+ TAS, but more for sport flying than long trips. I have no intent of building one - they are a huge amount of work. An 800 nm trip is at least a one-stopper and 5 hours+ in the aircraft. While I'd like to take a flying vacation in mine, if I routinely wanted to go longer distances I'd get a different aircraft.

Vans aircraft have a very robust following and sell just fine on the secondary market. They are simple metal aircraft that can be easily inspected and repaired and use relatively inexpensive powerplants and enjoy the ability to use very modern avionics. My RV-7 has glass cockpit, Dual AHRS with battery backup, synthetic vision, fully geo-referenced charts and plates, WAAS GPS, TKAS and soon ADS-B driven weather.

I think you are asking for trouble with an non AVGAS engine. Piston aircraft engines and the props they spin have a lot of things going one with harmonics and routinely run much higher power settings than a car toodling down the road. I'd get an engine from or based on a Lycoming or Continental.

Think very carefully about your mission, as aircraft are very mission-dependent.