Teen pilot attempting around the world flight dies in crash | FerrariChat

Teen pilot attempting around the world flight dies in crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rdefabri, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Very sad, I hate to see this:

Spokeswoman: US teen pilot dies in crash

Haris confirmed dead, but his father's body wasn't found. Just a shame. Reminds me of the young girl from Colorado I believed - she also crashed with her father and both lost their lives.

RIP!

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #3 toggie, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sad story for the Teen and his Dad trying to fly around the world.

Haris Suleman, teen attempting world flight record, killed in plane crash | Fox News

An Indiana teenager who was attempting to set a record for an around-the-world flight was killed when his plane crashed in the Pacific Ocean, and crews were searching Wednesday for his father, who was also on board.

Family spokeswoman Annie Hayat said the plane flown by 17-year-old Haris Suleman went down shortly after leaving Pago Pago in American Samoa Tuesday night. Hayat said the body of Haris Suleman had been recovered, but crews were still looking for Babar Suleman.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Very, very sad stories!

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Used to participate in a pilot forum with the father. He had been through a lot in his life. Besides being the target for extremists in his native Pakistan, as in bullets whizzing past his head, he successfully completed a dead stick landing on I-70 a couple yrs ago (Piper product at that time). Always a very positive guy with a lot of (firsthand) knowledge of world events. RIP

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of life, but every time I read one of these I am saddened by the obvious danger people will put themselves in to attempt one of these stunts.

I am reminded of the girls pilot in the Midwest some years ago - they attempted an overloaded takeoff into icing conditions as I recall. Sometimes setting these records that nobody remembers afterward and hardly worth the risk.

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Babar by all accounts was a very professional pilot. At this time I see this as a very unfortunate accident likely due to mechanical failure at an inopportune time (i.e. immediately following TO over the water).

The young girl, 11yo IIRC, was attempting to TO as a TS was bearing down on the airport. I believe wind shear was the direct cause, although the decision by her instructor to attempt a hasty departure is ultimately to blame.

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I understand that you were friends with the family in this last case - and I was not trying to specifically comment on the circumstances here: they are still under investigation.

My comment (which was not personalized in any way) was simply my own view that these "youngest pilot to solo, youngest pilot to cross the U.S., youngest pilot to fly around the world, and so on" are (in my own opinion) not worth the loss of life that has been recorded.

Not that there is anything wrong with letting teenagers get some airplane experience - I got my private ticket when I was 17, started lessons when I was 16.

What I am saying is that with these record attempts there is often too much desire and pressure to fly into bad or even impossible conditions just out of desire to make the record.

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree 100%.

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Yes..to much risk for a record...roughly 2600 miles from Pago Pago to HNL..heavy loaded plane, lots of risk..
    I still remember watching a sister squadron P-3 clip a tram line there and crash into a hotel during an air show after dropping off skydivers...Ive never been back..

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    50,000 Americans will be killed in their cars this year. More than have ever died in the history of aviation. Try to keep it in perspective folks.

Aviation crashes make the news because they're a lot more interesting than car crashes.

The title of this thread is misleading. Babar AND his son we're flying around the world together.... for fun. Not a "record setting" attempt. This teen wasn't flying a lone.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jason- No, the numbers are way down (~33,500 2012), but get your point. Last year with 50,000 fatalities was 1980.

They had already missed their record attempt because of other delays. On this one it seems like a successful ditching could have been made, but nobody will likely know exactly what happened. I am sure they practiced ditching with all the over-water they were doing. A shame.

Trying to make it back to the field, instead of descending straight ahead when heavy, has killed many a pilot.

13. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Sorry if I got that wrong, but the Fox link above says "attempting world flight record".

14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ok, well 300K will die from heart disease. 10 from "falling toilets". Point is, everyone loves an airplane crash and will always make silly comment about how "dangerous flying is" blah blah. Eating cheese is more dangerous but nobody ever talks about it.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    small planes are more dangerous than cars, it is a fact. the media also is out of balance giving small plane crashes and even little off fields too much attention.

16. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I think the point is that if it were not for the prospect of setting a record, the duo probably would have engaged in other flying adventures for fun that were not quite as risky. They may have already lost the opportunity to set the record, but I'm sure they still felt the world's eyes were watching them and this may have encouraged them to take risks they otherwise would not have. You want to fly around the world? No problem, take your time and be safe. You want to fly around the world with lots of publicity and your performance being judged by the world? Well there comes the problem and the increased pressure to take on risk.

17. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
  18. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Uh yeah... How many hours per year do Americans spend in a car? Now how many hours per year do Americans spend in small aircraft? There ya go. Pretty simple concept. I don't understand how this argument even exists.

19. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I spend 300+ hours a year in my aircraft. A lot more than in car.

That's not the point though...... The point is, there are a million things in life that are going to kill you before an airplane does. Why DOES this argument exist? I don't get it either.

20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Statistically, flying private aircraft has about the same mortality rate as riding motorcycles. Thats just it though, its a statistic. The "safeness" of the activity can be greatly increased with a competent, trained pilot and a well maintained aircraft.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that sounds about right, which both are higher than cars.

If you are a low time risky pilot or high time yearly pilot like yourself, then maybe not.

Life is full of risks, some people are better at mitigating them than others. There are hundreds of legal things more risky than riding a motorcycle or being a private pilot, but talk to an insurance actuary for your real answer where a motorcycle rider or private pilot stands up against the majority of the population.

22. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's not cars or motorcycles v. airplanes. It's airplanes v. life in general. Many things are going to kill you before an airplane does.

I don't care if flying were 5X more dangerous than it is. The lifestyle is too awesome. I could never go back to being a passenger standing in line.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh I'm not throwing stones. I fly, have a speed hull bass boat, race cars, hunt on mountains out of a tent for weeks, and the most dangerous of all... ride a bike on public streets. :D

however, you can't gloss over the risk factor of flying, the best thing you can do is respect it and that by itself will put you a little ahead.

the most dangerous pilots I know have the attitude "when it is your time it is your time", "flying is safe regardless", and "God will protect me".

24. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yup.

I think if you take night time and bad weather out of the equation you have to try and kill yourself in your airplane.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree.

night time, weather, and VFR into IMC (especially just VFR pilots) = CFIT.

tough ones for anyone would be engine probs on take off, midair, or engine out over mountains.