2014 could be worst year for plane crash deaths in almost a decade | FerrariChat

2014 could be worst year for plane crash deaths in almost a decade

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by PSk, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh please. Fly on a domestic airline and you have a better chance of dying from a lightning strike.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Or a falling toilet. ;-)

This is "aviator" chat isn't it? Why all the "commercial air travel" threads?

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    The two major losses-one is purposely man caused, the other perhaps. The macabre side of me is wondering, just what happens when a plane is struck at 500 mph. Is everyone killed at once from the shear force of the impact? The sudden blast of air, the cold Table 1-6.U.S. Standard Atmosphere Heights and Temperatures) the lack of O2, the noise, the terror. Surly it must be fast, the lucky ones were sitting right at the impact and knew nothing.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #6 PSk, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Yes well aware of that but there are few things that make me think maybe the industry is getting a little lapse:
    1. Approving the 787 for passenger use with lithium batteries and IMO the issue has not really been solved
    2. Potentially (unproved I believe with MH370) carrying lithium batteries as freight in passenger planes ... should never happen IMO. Ship them!
    3. Flying over no fly zones to save fuel. Yes all airlines are doing this but heck guys just fly around the no fly zones and I'm sure if you asked the passengers to pay $20 more and the reason why they would
    4. We flew on (very good btw) Hawaiian airlines to Hawaii in some sort of Airbus, was amazed that a twin engined plane can fly that distance. Yes the plane there and the one back did it easily and comfortably but I like heaps of redundancy when you cannot just pull over and inspect the engine that failed. How far can they fly on a single engine?
    5. The 777 "brains" access panel being in the passenger compartment and unsecured
    6. Use of carbon fibre to reduce fuselage weight. Carbon fibre as we have all seen with F1 shatters while metal bends ... hmmm. Many won't ride a motorcycle with carbon fibre wheels because of this and yet we now make planes that carry ~500 people out of it ... is this wise? I believe we have already lost one (NY after 911) that was ultimately blamed on carbon fibre failure
    7. I won't add the supposedly third world country disasters but those passengers deserved safety first too

Yes I'm not the best flier but we need to be careful that over time and with pressures on reducing flying costs that we don't take it too far. We are not talking about mere automobiles here
    Pete

7. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    The worst year ever being 2014? Oh never mind. It says the worst year in the last decade. The decade? It looks like it may be, however, not the worst year ever. That honor belongs to 1985 with 1977, 1974 and 1979 coming in close in that order.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Hey, Guys. Live life and move on. Something is always worse than something else.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Well said.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I didn't mean to sound sage and uppity. Certainly, one should measure and quantify risks to eliminate obvious dangers. I don't think that it is possible to eliminate all threats since so many are unseen and unplanned. So, keep things going and enjoy life, and as they say, " Watch your six."

11. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    +1

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bob, you do sound sage (and you've earned it) but you never sound uppity.

13. MartyMcFly88MPH

MartyMcFly88MPH Karting

Jan 30, 2013
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Marty McFly
    I stumbled upon this yesterday. Kind of interesting, but sad too. It shows fatal crashes since 1993 with cause, numbers etc...

Flight Risk