EAA 2014 | FerrariChat

EAA 2014

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Heat Seeker WS6, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Who's going?

I'll be there Mon, (maybe Tues) Wed & Friday.

2. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    Look for the QED some friends of mine built to show up there sometime. It'll be the coolest experimental there and probably the largest. Certainly worth a look.

3. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I will be there all week.

Taking the T-34 in formation with a buddy in a T-6

41rst year in a row. My son is 17 but it is his 18th year since he was there the year before he was one year old. Same with my daughter.

Oshkosh is a great time.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Tim, is that QED one of Jim Moss's creations? I've wondered what happened to Moss's Super Solution.

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I won't be making it until the weekend, unfortunately.

Mark

6. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Got here about an hour ago. What were the chances that the same black NSX I parked near at Road America last weekend parked next to me here.

Mark- your coming down with a fever!

7. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #7 Heat Seeker WS6, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    John - did you get a close look at the Cirrus SF50? Do you have more pics of N420EX?

9. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'll get to see the SF50 on Wed when I return but got alot of pics of the HA-420 which I'll upload shortly. When they were bringing the Hondajet into its display I met and had a very neat conversation with HJ's VP- Douglas D. He's a cool carguy too with an awesome NSX! ...among other toys

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    How does it look in person? The pictures I have seen don't exactly show the best side of the plane.

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #11 Heat Seeker WS6, Jul 28, 2014

In person I think it looks pretty neat. Its shape is that of a dolphin with the engines rising from the wings.

The first pic is one of the wind tunnel models. These are the best I got showing its lines & shape before the hoards of people showed up. Also a vid I took when they were pushing it into the display hangar- I was at the right place at the right time!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bG0MxHGJSI]2014 EAA Oshkosh Hondajet HA-420 - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Thanks for the pics, John. Personally, I love the Honda Jet. It's different. I wish them the best of luck with it and hope its a huge success.

Mark

13. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I like the plane a lot and think they did a great job with its innovations. Pretty quiet too- when it was doing fly-bys it was merely a whisper. Forgot to mention that when talking about it with a group of others while there one of them referred to it as the 'deltawing of aircraft' I damned near spit up my drink lol. Obviously the guy didn't know I'm one of the 7 people who actually liked the black Nissan/AAR deltawing from '11. Also had a few minutes with HJ pilot Warren and found out he's working on putting together a CHUMP car team! I really like these guys- play with aircraft by day and cars by night & weekends! I'm going to try to get interior pics when I return tomorrow.

14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry at the 6mm price point and the state of the market (plus the natural conservative nature of the typical jet buyer) I don't see that airplane going very far in the market. In my opinion it's ugly as hell.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To me, the front end of the HondaJet resembles Siddeley, the airplane in the animated movie "Cars 2".

16. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    Bob,
    Jim sold the Super Solution to Kermit Weeks where it sits in his collection. The QED II is Jim Moss' last Masterpiece and it is now at OshKosh; with people drooling all over it I suspect. Exciting times.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Tim. I saw the Super Solution about 15 years ago when Jim was about 3/4 complete and I couldn't get over the complexity and good work. I used to know Jim when we were all flying at Thun Field in the early 60's to 70.

18. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I'm back up at Oshkosh today-by chance would you have any idea where it may be up here? I'd like to find it!

19. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    Bob,
    The first time I met Jim Moss was at Thun field over a bowl of navy bean soup with Glen Cawley. After helping Jim rebuild an old Tex Rankin MG-2 (before the Laird) I acquired a certain watch from him that I wear to this day. That was 20 years ago.

Heat Seeker, If you ask some official there they can probably tell you where it is parked, I doubt it is in general population in the experimental area, I'd suspect it is in some special place but I'm not there so I don't know but I'll email Rich (the pilot) and ask.

20. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    Heat Seeker,
    The QED is parked in front of the Vintage Aircraft Red Barn. Happy picture taking!

21. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #21 Heat Seeker WS6, Jul 31, 2014
  22. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #22 Heat Seeker WS6, Jul 31, 2014
    I'd like to think I was in the general area where yours is parked lol. Which one is yours? I have many more pictures of the rows of them.

23. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    One of my best friends (fellow engineer) is there and told me about the "7-Day" build going on. Interesting idea...he set a few rivets for his part in it.

24. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
  25. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    RIP I saw the clip in which they are celebrating 50 years of the Breezy. Hate to say it, but made me think of that comment someone made here about the gyrocopter's seat being called the Death Chair. No protection at all, must be an amazing ride when all goes as planned.

A few years ago we saw a Mooney hit one of the Oshkosh trucks, tore the engine right off and totaled the plane. With as much going on, it is amazing that more accidents don't happen.