787 ... Can't maintain altitude on one engine? | FerrariChat

787 ... Can't maintain altitude on one engine?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Aug 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Reduced altitude to attempt a relight?

Regards,

Art S.

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The term is single engine service ceiling. All twin engine planes have one, and it's generally lower than normal cruise. Nothing out of the ordinary, probably perfectly save. Yellow journalism with an uneducated reporter.

Art

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Exactly what was supposed to happen with an ETOPS 180 aircraft. Flew smoothly to a divert base single engine.

When an engine fails, it is not the aircraft's fault. That may have been a precautionary shut down or pull back to idle.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Engines Turn Or People Swim. It worked. I, too, am getting sick of sensational journalism by uneducated drama kings and queens in the news media. Correct, Terry, the airplane did what it was designed to do.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    When we do ETOPS we know the engine out cruise altitude. If we were to lose an engine the we set up a gentle descent to keep the proper airspeed and the airplane will descend until it levels off at the single engine cruise altitude. The altitude is based on aircraft weight and desired airspeed. For the 767-300er this is typically around FL 210.

7. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    The C172 I fly has trouble maintaining altitude when It looses an engine....call the media, sounds like we have a serious aviation dilemma here

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    OH, YES, and a faulty airplane with a history of ...well, something !

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Just remember, that airplane would not have been certified if it could not have maintained flight on one engine fully loaded.

If that was the case on twins in general ALL of the current commercial airliners would still be running FOUR engines. (or maybe three)

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    It's always fun taking off from a field where your service ceiling with one engine out is below ground. I'm not sure how the airlines handle those scenarios or if they even occur but there have been a few situations where the prudent course of action before takeoff was to unguard the fuel dump switches and things were coordinated to start dumping first and keep engines running as long as they produce thrust.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- A-10s had that problem when they were doing high altitude testing out of Cannon AFB, NM (4295') in the 70s. Luckily it was only simulated single engine, so no casualties.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    We do have to remember for Joe Average (people like me) who do not know everything about planes this would have been somewhat scary, but I assume the pilot(s) informed the passengers why they were loosing altitude. So yes there would have been tension and some nervous passengers would be thinking the worst.

But it is good to read that the plane performed correctly in such situations. And yes aware that it is likely not the planes fault it lost an engine but as far as the passengers are concerned the plane had to have an emergency landing. Just like when a department that uses computers talks to me, they see any issue or outage as being IT's fault, whether I work on that system or not; "You're part of IT aren't you?"
    Pete
    ps: I'll keep sticking to not flying in a Dreamliner for a while yet ...

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The news media consistently gets aviation wrong. I must assume everything else it reports is equally inaccurate. So I turned it off long ago.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The article does say that the pilot shut down the engine (didn't say why) and explained to the pax that he was going to fly at a lower altitude and go to an alternate airport.

But that, to the reporter was a "terror-filled flight"...

15. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, that is a 757. I noticed that the first time I looked at the picture. Well, whatever. It's a twin engine jet airliner...aren't they all?

17. Nate2046

Nate2046 Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    Sad to see Boeing and GE having another problem with their latest products. They've both had such a great reputation from a reliability standpoint that it makes you wonder what was different in the development of the 787 and 747-8 and the GEnx engines that has lead to all these high profile issues. The joke among those flying the -8 is that it's the most expensive 'day VFR only' aircraft in history with its requirement to avoid convective activity by 50 miles to stay out of ice crystal icing, I believe the 787 has the same limitation. We have the updated EEC software that is supposed to solve the flame out problem but the FAA has yet to sign off on the fix. The latest wrinkle with the GEnx are altitude limitations at low weight. Apparently, the engines are so efficient that at high altitude and low weights, the thrust is pulled back to the point that the high pressure bleeds have to open to provide adequate pressure, which then overheats the ducts. Point being, its one issue after another. Maybe its always been this way with revolutionary designs but it seems out of character for Boeing and GE. Resident expert engineers opinions?

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    757, these do well with a bird strike/flame out on take-off, LOADED.

It's a Thomson too.

They pulled the gear up, called May Day, shut down the engine and continued to climb.
    Great airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes! It is one of Boeing's best but pretty much unsung.

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

757 is a GREAT aircraft...

There's a Concorde in the background at about the 2:20 mark, I think. (April, 07?)

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think that one has the Rolls Royce engines on it too.