Europe, ~8-10 pax, 600NM - Cost? | FerrariChat

Europe, ~8-10 pax, 600NM - Cost?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Fast_ian, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey guys,

I'm probably way out of my league here, but this "silly" thought just occurred to me, and seems this would be as good a place as any to ask;

I need to move about 8 people (could be more if the #'s work better?) from Southern England to Southern France. Just under 600NM. Plenty of advance notice - Lets say late April.

Anyone have any "guesstimates" as to what that would cost? We'll be staying in France for around a week, so no return involved - Everyone's going their own way subsequently, which I guess is a bad thing price wise(?)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    "Europe" is the unknown. You'll have to call charter brokers. I could estimate in the States but it all comes down to "which aircraft".

This mission could easily be done with a Pilatus but not sure if anyone charters Pilatus over there. Otherwise they'll set you up with a large jet which is big bucks.

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hmmph.... OK, had them do a little research - Although they know as much as me on the subject (ie, zero). Can only guess it was indeed the "large jet" they were quoted for....

Roughly UKP 10,000 :eek:

This is particularly rough as she tells me commercial is around UKP 100 per pax, *return*!

So that ones not going to fly! ;)

I doubt she even asked about a Pilatus, but would hope someone would have offered if it were possible(?) Anyone in the UK have any comment?

Do you mind me asking for a rough estimate for the same trip here? TIA.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, so Dad (me!) did a little more research..... FWIW, this is my youngest's wedding party that's heading to France. 7 is the actual # we'd need right now. I was figuring everyone could be convinced to go to, say, UKP500 for the "special treat factor". Then mom & dad make up the additional as part of the wedding gift.....

Looks like a Beech BE200 (seats 8) could accomplish, as you said, "the mission" (?) A quick online quote for that was UKP 4,500. Which is getting a *lot* closer, but still seems a little "extravagant". ;)

I have a sneaking feeling that once again we're going to see the UK -> US "exchange rate" for such things being the "usual" 1 to 1!.... Around $4,500 here?

Cheers,
    Ian

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Best suggestion is to start calling and googling. I don't know Europe but a jet for all of you should be close vs regional jet. It's going to be like cold calling but from the customer pov.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ian,

It really depend where you are going "in the south of France"...

Keep in mind that the High Speed Train (= TGV, in French) is, whenever the town you're aiming at has connection to the High Speed Train railway network, very often the best - and fastest - bet, at least from Paris.

To give only an example, London to Paris is 2 hours 15 minutes by Eurostar, then Paris to Marseille is three hours by High Speed Train.

Rgds

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good thought!

Le Petit Moulin,
    Saintes

I don't know, but suspect this is *deep* in the "boonies" (?)

According to the invitation, both Bordeaux & La Rochelle airports are an hour away. Caen harbor is 3 hours and Calais 6. [I was thinking a ferry ride to Caen may be "nice"...] But, as noted above, apparently return airfare to either airport is not much over UKP 100! (say, $150, sorry, not good with Euros - yet! ;) )

I haven't checked, but it's possible the resort itself may have its own landing strip - Which would be way cool of course!.....

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep - That's pretty much where I got the #'s above. Next step, with these guys anyway, is to register and they then throw the request out to "about 50 operators" (IIRC) - I didn't think there *were* 50 operators in the UK!.......

Anyway, waiting for "feedback" from the other people right now - I don't mind stepping up some, but suspect most are going to be happy with a $150 commercial flight..... We'll see. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I guess it's not a "secret"; This is where they're going;

Luxury Weddings France

Looks pretty cool, but no mention of a landing strip. :(

Cheers,
    Ian

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #10 nerofer, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Well, Saintes is not exactly in the middle of nowhere, but nevertheless...not far from it!
    It has no direct connection by aeroplane or by train with Paris.

As we are on "aviatorchat", let's begin by connections from the air...

Saintes has its own airstrip in the adjacent village of Thenac, but it is a small airstrip, only 900 m long, used by an aeroclub.
    The nearest - small - aerodrome, is Rochefort Saint-Agnan, which is situated at 35 kms form Saintes (about 21 miles). Contrary to the first informations I have found (I have edited my post since) there is no commercial connections/flights from it.
    Then you have a bigger one at La Rochelle; this one is at 80 kms (50 miles) from Saintes and used regularly for commercial flights.
    Then you have Bordeaux-Merignac, even bigger, but at 125 kms (75 miles) from Saintes.

By train, there is not direct connection coming from Paris, but Saintes can be joined by High Speed Train from Paris with a change to a regional train at either Angoulème or Niort.

By the sea, La Rochelle would be the obvious choice (remember "the Three Musketeers" and the siege of La Rochelle by the Brits ?), but Royan or Rochefort would also work.
    And speaking of the sea, should you have some free time, you could visit "la corderie royale" at Rochefort or the frigate "L'hermione" if she is still here...

Rgds

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Go to the UK airport of preferred departure and find out what turboprops are based there. You could find that there is an owner/operator there that does charter and will take the deal as a convenient deal. No brokers, not standard retail prices.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I went to the Internet of the venue's location site and looked at the exact location on the map.
    If said map is accurate, the site seems much closer to Angoulème than it is to Saintes, which implies that the airport at Angoulème could be a good possibility if it is still active.
    It was, in the "old days", 25 years ago, before the opening of the High Speed Train line between Paris and Bordeaux; I know, because I landed here (as a passenger) at the time I visited France all over for my job.
    But the High Speed Train has really made a lot of locals airports redundant, so it would be better to check before...

Makes also the airport at Bordeaux Merignac a possibility: no problems with flights from the UK to Bordeaux-Merignac, but you'll have to take a car at Bordeaux after the flight, for the drive to the place you're going (about 120 kms I would say).

High Speed Train from Paris to Angoulème is 2h20, but you'll have to get to Paris first...

Rgds