First Solo......again | FerrariChat

First Solo......again

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Aug 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #1 LouB747, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I just looked at my logbook. My first solo was 8/5/83 in a Cessna 152. I believe it rented for $34/hr if memory serves correctly. I was 17 years old. Today, over 30 years and 16000 hrs later, I sorta soloed again. I started flying a Christen Eagle about 2 months ago. I flew it 3 times for about 3 hrs and got my tailwheel endorsement in 2 days. I haven't flown it since and had yet to fly it solo. Well, this morning at about 8am, I made 3 full stop takeoff and landings at KLGB. It felt great. Honestly, the Eagle is a bit squirrely on landing and probably isn't the greatest first tailwheel airplane. All that said, it felt pretty good!

Good times to come......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now that's a far cry from a 747. Just don't try those maneuvers in the big bird! (After all, you're not Tex Johnston.) Have fun, Lou!

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    awesome mate...I feel that Catalina trip coming on soon, but if we can do it with the little black round rubber things pointing down that would be great ;)

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    We need to see that GoPro video!

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Gotta have your feet wide awake and home in on the target at the end of the runway and keep it in the center. I wondered why my instructor before my solo ran me through the wringer doing rudder exercise stalls until I was exhausted. I never had trouble with ground loops in anything after that, Stearman included.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lou- Always something new to try piloting. Next you will be ready for a WW-I replica Dr.I or Camel with a rotary. Familiarity with the rudder helps on those two.

7. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #7 LouB747, Aug 20, 2014
    Yeah, if I think I can land on that runway! Funny, I've never really flown a plane I had to worry about landing before. Not being able to see over the nose can be interesting! And a 60 ft wide strip like Catalina poses a few more challenges for that short coupled Eagle. But I'll work my way up to it and we'll go. Other than the landing rollout, the plane is an absolute dream to fly. I don't think I've ever flown a plane that stable before. You really don't feel like you're using the controls. Just think about what you want to do and the airplane does it.

GoPro video, forgot to start it for the solo flight! But do have some acro flight video from the day before when I was in the front seat. My first real acro. I can see some good times ahead. I do need to build up my G tolerance though. 4.3 and I started to blackout. Strange feeling!

When we arrived at the new hanger in LGB, they rolled out the red carpet for us. The carpet was almost bigger than the wing!

8. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I'd love to fly those! Maybe some day.

9. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    So cool.

Mark

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Are you going to put spades on the ailerons?

The one I helped a guy build had them on upper and lower, and it made the roll control very light...

11. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Awesome!

What does it cost to rent a Christen Eagle these days? Or is this one yours?

The pilot of the PT-19 I rode in a few months ago also flew a 747 as his day job. Bipes seem to be popular “weekend” toys for jumbo jet pilots.

12. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thinking we will leave it as is. Coming from the 747, the roll control is so light. I couldn't imagine it any lighter.

13. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    1/2 owner. Not sure if you could rent one. First off, it's experimental. So it can't be used for hire. Also I think the insurance rate to rent it would be very high.

I was surprised at our insurance rate though. About 2500/yr. That's for 2 guys with no tailwheel time. Of course we are 16000 hr ATPs and maybe that helps.

I guess a small biplane is such a departure from flying the bigger planes. That's the allure. It's funny to see people pointing at you as you taxi by. Sort of like driving a Ferrari.

14. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I understand completely. The example I was talking about was (to me) in fact TOO LIGHT.

But the hard-core aerobatics guys claim that you cannot get them too light.

Incidentally, if nobody has mentioned it before - this kit (the Eagle) was very probably the absolute highest quality homebuilt kit ever made...just like a great big model airplane to put together. I got to help building the wings with my friends - the original owner for some reason built the fuselage first and had not finished the wings when they bought it.

I believe most people built it in reverse order - wings first.

15. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Sharing a fun plane always sounded to me like a great set-up. Split the costs and just have to work out the timing (and legal contingencies, probably).

edit: I meant PT-17, not 19.
    Was wondering if any Eagles had open cockpits, and found this:
    Open Cockpit - The Biplane Forum

Could be a lot windier in Eagle than a Stearman though :)

16. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Now that looks like fun...

17. Nate2046

Nate2046 Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    That's awesome! I really need to get out there and do some flying like that. I feel like the last 3 years on the 747 has really eroded my skills. On the CRJ we did tons of flying, but now, I'm lucky to get a few minutes of real stick time a month.

18. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #18 LouB747, Aug 22, 2014
  19. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #19 LouB747, Aug 22, 2014
  20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lou- Makes perfect sense to me. Assume the rear seat solo only is for CG?

21. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, it is. I meant the red placard.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Looking back on old stuff that I used to fly and the PT-19 and PT-26 were front pit solo, the Stearman was rear pit solo. Ryan PT-22 was rear. That Eagle sounds like a lot of fun.