Air Force One due for a replacement? | FerrariChat

Air Force One due for a replacement?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NürScud, Aug 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I saw this video from TIME magazine which states that the Presidential aircraft will be replaced by another, which will have 4 engines and will be commercial type airplane. It doesn't mention which type or Company will make it except that it will be ready in seven years time!

Two planes comes to my mind. The new B747-8 or the Airbus A380. For the second one i've seen some renderings in the presidential plane's colours.

Article with video: Air Force One Due For A Replacement - TIME

A380 rendering: Airbus A380 as Air Force One - Other & Aircraft Background Wallpapers on Desktop Nexus (Image 724882)

Personally i would like to see the new B747-8 as the new presidential airplane.

Best

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Think its pretty far fetched to think the President of the United States would fly around on any thing built anywhere but in the US.

So unless he's going to start traveling around in a Citation or a Gulfstream I think its a safe bet that it will be a -8

I'm sure the little fella's at AB will try to squeeze as much PR out of that picture as possible

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    that was the issue about retiring the helicopters that the pres uses, what was available was not US made... there have been replacements in design for a considerable time, with not a whole lot accomplished except spending enormous amounts in deciding what platform to use... it is cheaper for the gov't to replace the 747's than get one new whirly

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
  5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#5 Tcar, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Remember the issue of the new tanker for the US?

Boeing vs. EADS?

Boeing.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I was thinking that there is no reason to choose a European manufacturer as long they have Boeing and except that Boeing is Boeing!

I didn't know that this is an old story. I know from stories i've heard that the present Air Force One has low hours so there is no need to make another one.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I suppose that if they do anything, they might put newer-technology engines on them, as is being done with the C-5 fleet. I'm certain that they've been upgrading things like electronics and communications all along.

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the thing I don't get, ( got some info from internet ) the whirly for the pres is like a cab /shuttle , why do they need the massive coms / upgrades etc for a few minute flight...they are trying to make it into a command center with major defensive capabilities... all it needs are a few comfy seats, A/C, and a few creature features the typical corp whirly would have... they talk about seating for 20... each flight of whirly have a few decoys, any extra pax can ride in one of the decoys... it has been said the presidential whirly program is a 6+ billion expense plus on going maintainance ... I thought it was expensive but this is ridiculous... current inventory of whirly are good enough for our troups, the presidential butt can sit in an upgraded interior in what we have on the flight line currently... at a lot lower cost... it's you and me that are paying for this !!!

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

There's the off-chance that the chopper might need to be used for a longer flight and time, depending on circumstances. In an emergency.

Might end up being a 'command post' for more than the standard trip.

TROOPS don't need real seats, or comms.

10. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Embraer recently won out over Beech for jet trainers.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The whole "imperial Presidency" thing is so lame. I'd love to see a President in the mold of Pope Francis, who is willing to make do with the GV. And ride in a normal car, for crying out loud.

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Never going to happen in this age of radicalised nut cases...

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Same is true for the Pope, though, and it doesn't seem to have stopped Francis.

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    ...or like Nixon who did, as president, take a commercial flight (Dulles to San Francisco).

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that one must look at the changes in the world and the threat levels that any head of state must face now. Air Force one has the ultimate in security systems to counter missiles and other threats to the 747. It is full of real time communication systems and staff to maintain constant contact with the government and international inputs. A visit to foreign countries do require armored vehicles and a security staff. All previous presidents have used these protective measures and it has nothing to do with imperialistic fanfare.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    HOPE next POTUS won't be one.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    HOPE and CHANGE for the better next time.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I respectfully disagree. While it is true that all recent Presidents have done such things, it has increased dramatically over the years. No other head of state in the world travels in anything like the manner in which the US President does.

Please don't think I'm singling out the current President-- it's been a continual growth over the last 60 years (since World War II, really). At some point, it has to stop.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    while the pres should have max comfort and security, is it necessary for congress, think nancy pelosi, to have a huge govt provided private jet?

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Don, I agree with you on the proliferation and over use of the presidential luxuries but in some cases, especially overseas, there has to be security coverage and the essential equipment. i agree, too, that traveling within the US could and should be done with the 757. I was struck by the past president using the 747 to overfly New Orleans after Katrina. Obama has done the same thing, I guess. You're correct, the poshness has grown too much over the years and should have a more selective use.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How else can she carry her entourage coast to coast non stop in the style to which they so richly deserve?

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #22 Rifledriver, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    If for no other reason than it sets a good example but how long has it been since we had politicians that led by example?

The gulf takes a big hit in tourism because of an oil spill and we vacation in Martha's Vineyard?

Or spend like we are printing the stuff (Opps, I forgot, they do) and take expensive vacations in Hawaii and Europe in the middle of a serious financial crisis?

King indeed.

23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I'd rather keep the aircraft and replace the president.

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    They can't get the pot smell out of current AF1

LOL :)

25. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Doesn't Boeing have a 787 or two they can mark down,y'know discount,a blue light special like at k-mart? Somebody can make an offer that cannot be refused...all the batteries replaced free...and what does the WH care about fuel burn rates,anyway?
    Cheers,
    RE